    I am a first-time shooter of tall ships, especially parade of sail. Any
    advice/ideas/tips? I will much appreciated.

    Ronald

    Ronald Shu, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Ronald Shu

    wavelength Guest

    I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.

    http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183

    Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white statue?

    http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html

    Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I mind
    helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does anyone
    research before they ask anymore?

    Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't take
    pics in thprot now is there?

    http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

    wavelength, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Ronald Shu

    Roy Guest

    "wavelength" <> wrote in message
    >I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
    >
    > http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183
    >
    > Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white statue?
    >
    > http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html
    >
    > Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I mind
    > helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does anyone
    > research before they ask anymore?
    >
    > Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't take
    > pics in thprot now is there?
    >
    > http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

    Hire or borrow a fairly fast Motorboat. It needs to be large enough, so
    that you do not get thrown around when the wash from the Press Boats hits
    yours.

    Roy G

    Roy, Aug 12, 2005
  4. "wavelength" <> wrote in message
    >I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
    >
    > http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183

    Boy, that sure brings back memories for me....I was in the Navy, based in
    San Diego, and when we came back from oversea cruses, that was the radar
    picture we always looked for.......

    William Graham, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Ronald Shu

    Ronald Shu Guest

    Sir:
    Thank you for your help. I have read all you mentioned either with
    web surfing or web searching. As a matter of fact, I wanted someone to
    advise me the followings:
    (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
    (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
    parade of sail (North Island is a big area, right?)
    (3) Tips for shooting tall ships, such as film, lenses, filters,
    exposure, shooting position (shoot from above or at eye level), how to
    handle camera shacking, ocean fog and etc.
    Anyway, thank you again. Any advice, tips and suggestions are welcome.

    Ronald

    Ronald Shu, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Ronald Shu

    Frank ess Guest

    Ronald Shu wrote:
    > Sir:
    > Thank you for your help. I have read all you mentioned either
    > with
    > web surfing or web searching. As a matter of fact, I wanted someone
    > advise me the followings:
    > (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
    > (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot
    > the parade of sail (North Island is a big area, right?)
    > (3) Tips for shooting tall ships, such as film, lenses, filters,
    > exposure, shooting position (shoot from above or at eye level), how
    > handle camera shacking, ocean fog and etc.
    > Anyway, thank you again. Any advice, tips and suggestions are
    > welcome.
    > Ronald
    >

    > wavelength wrote:
    >
    >> I believe north Island is the "Big One" in the picture.
    >>
    >> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=183
    >>
    >> Cabrillo is a national park on the point out there. Big white
    >> statue?
    >>
    >> http://www.nps.gov/cabr/pphtml/maps.html
    >>
    >> Seriously dude, found this in 10 minutes on Google.com. Not that I
    >> mind helping really (otherwise why post this right?), but does
    >> anyone
    >> research before they ask anymore?
    >>
    >> Also, go here for more info on the festival, No reason you can't
    >> take
    >> pics in thprot now is there?
    >>
    >> http://www.sdmaritime.com/contentpage.asp?ContentID=172

    "North Island" is pretty well closed off as a US Navy installation,
    and may not offer much in the way of hospitality for the casual
    shooter. Some of the island (east and northeast) is Coronado, and may
    be accessible.

    This time of year the sun is relatively low and to the south. Even at
    high noon a lot of what you can see from the more northerly vantages
    will be considerably backlighted.

    The Cabrillo Monument is actually pretty high and pretty far away, so
    unless you have the equipment, it might be a disappointment, single
    ship-wise. Spectacular for views of the city. It's also a National
    Park preserve, so you will pay admission.

    None of the viewing sites are particularly easy to reach, and all have
    their parking and access problems, even on an ordinary weekday. If you
    can spend a day reconnoitering (how long has it been since you heard
    _that_ word?) in advance, you'll have an idea which place you prefer,
    and whether or not it will be worthwhile trying to get some shots from
    more than one during the event.

    Try out your polarizer in advance, too. Some angles it's worth it,
    some not.

    For my part, I'll try Coronado Island, as far north and west as I can
    reach harborside in the morning, or Seaport Village south and east.
    Shelter Island as far south and east as I can reach in the afternoon,
    with an option to sit in traffic on the way to Cabrillo Monument.

    Best bet: get one of the helicopter tours.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Ronald Shu

    EF in FLA Guest

    > (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
    > (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
    > parade of sail

    Geez, I'd imagine you'll see big boats sailing by no matter where you stand.
    Apparently you are seeking the "super lucky happy golden answer" from
    someone here, but maybe just maybe you'll have to use some trial and error.

    Keep the sun at your back and you'll do fine.

    ef

    EF in FLA, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Ronald Shu

    Adam R Guest

    When you get to San Diego go to the Broadway Pier. A just to the north
    you will see the Coronado-San Diego Ferry. It is a pedestrian ferry.
    Take the ferry to Coronado and when you get off you will be in a very
    good spot to see the ships sail by. This area is quite large and you
    should have no trouble getting some good shots. GET THERE EARLY!
    Parking will be your biggest problem but it is easier in San Diego
    than in Coronado.
    <<<Adam R>>>

    Adam R, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Ronald Shu

    Tony Graber Guest

    You're right, EF, they are big ships and you could see them sailing by
    at most locations. That does not correlate into getting a good shot at
    the ships, though. Unless one has a long zoom lense, getting as close
    as possible to the sailing route is a very valid question. Using trial
    and error and keeping the sun at your back does not answer the questions
    posed. If you have ever seen a parade of tall ships, you would know that.

    Tony Graber, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Ronald Shu

    Patrick L. Guest

    "Ronald Shu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, all:
    > Aug. 17-20 I am going down to San Diego to shoot TALL SHIPS Challenge Race
    > 2005. There is a grand parade of sail on San Diego Bay on Aug.17.
    > I was told there are four best spots to view the grand parade of sail: 1.
    > Shelter island
    > 2. Harbor island
    > 3. North island (where is it?)
    > 4. Cabrillo National monument (where is it? shoot from above?)
    > I am a first-time shooter of tall ships, especially parade of sail. Any
    > advice/ideas/tips? I will much appreciated.
    >
    > Ronald

    Harbor Island at the park across from the Hilton, or anywhere along Harbor
    Island, actually.

    Get their early or you won't find parking.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Aug 12, 2005
  11. Ronald Shu

    Mark² Guest

    "EF in FLA" <> wrote in message
    >> (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
    >> (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
    >> parade of sail

    > Geez, I'd imagine you'll see big boats sailing by no matter where you
    > stand.
    > Apparently you are seeking the "super lucky happy golden answer" from
    > someone here, but maybe just maybe you'll have to use some trial and
    > error.

    That's great when you can easily re-shoot from another location.
    In this case, you won't be able to move around like that, and the even only
    happens once a year.

    > Keep the sun at your back and you'll do fine.

    Words of a snapshooter. -Don't know if that's what you are, but you're
    talking like one.

    For the rest, it is the difference between a shot worth using/printing and a
    shot worth deleting, or sending to the tourist-photo-file.

    Mark², Aug 13, 2005
  12. Ronald Shu

    Ronald Shu Guest

    How about takeing a boat ride to shoot parade of sail??

    There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
    of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
    (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
    steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
    (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
    phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
    good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
    know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.

    Ronald

    Ronald Shu, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Ronald Shu

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Re: How about takeing a boat ride to shoot parade of sail??

    In article <ddqm37$1272$>,
    Ronald Shu <> wrote:

    > There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
    > of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
    > (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
    > steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
    > (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
    > phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
    > good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
    > know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
    >
    > Ronald

    What about the USS Potomac out of Oakland? The lead docent has been a
    photographer for decades and the boat is big enough that a choppy bay
    won't cause problems.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 15, 2005
  14. Ronald Shu

    RSD99 Guest

    "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ddqm37$1272$>,
    > Ronald Shu <> wrote:
    >
    > > There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
    > > of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
    > > (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
    > > steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
    > > (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
    > > phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
    > > good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
    > > know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
    > >
    > > Ronald

    > What about the USS Potomac out of Oakland? The lead docent has been a
    > photographer for decades and the boat is big enough that a choppy bay
    > won't cause problems.
    >
    > --
    > To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Only problem I can think of is that Oakland is something like *500* *miles*
    North of San Diego ...

    Maybe when the "Tall Ships" get to the San Francisco Bay ...

    RSD99, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Ronald Shu

    Skip M Guest

    "Ronald Shu" <> wrote in message
    > There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade of
    > sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
    > (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it steady
    > enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
    > (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
    > phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
    > good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I know.
    > Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
    >
    > Ronald

    Believe me, those big Hornblower Cruises "boats" are big enough so that all
    you'll feel is a gentle rolling. I've shot off of them, a long time ago,
    and there were no problems...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com