Best solution for Bandwidth control

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Cedric Tardif, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I have multiple type of customer with multiple different bandwidth control
    to implement.

    I have tried a cisco 7200 router with rate-limit ( work fine but take a lot
    of cpu)

    I have tried a cisco 3550 with mls qos aggregate-policer with class-map,
    create big configuration but work verry nice, main problem is that i have a
    limit of 8 class-map i can enable per interface.

    Is there a way on a 2950 to limit the bandwitch per port basis ?

    My need :
    Ability to control the bandwidth per a global basis
    Ability to control the bandwidth per a user basis
    Ability to control the bandwidth per a user basis inside a global basis.

    I'm not looking for a easy setup, i'm looking for a complete setup, in our
    network i can deploy 2950,3550 or 7200 without problem and if needed i can
    purchase other equipement to fit my need.

    I would prefer to be able to control the bandwidth per port or per vlan or
    vlan/ip combo.

    If anyone have comment or suggestion that would be greetly appreciated.

    Cedric
    Cedric Tardif, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Cedric Tardif

    Ben Guest

    You are in luck as the 2950 has per-port policing capabilities. Look up the
    2950 data sheet for precise capabilities. From memory it can only do it
    inbound (or was it outbound?). It's not as fully featured in terms of QoS as
    the 7200 but it's pretty good. The 3550 has slightly more capability again.

    By the way, I would move to MQC instead of rate-limit commands which are a
    legacy feature. Nested policy-maps will enable you to limit bandwidth per
    interface as well as to some finer distinction.

    As far as per-user goes, it really depends on what kind of user you are
    talking about.

    Ben, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Hi,

    Thank for your response.

    The main problem i have with the 3550 is the limitation of 8 rule per port
    inbound.

    I will have the same problem with the 2950 as it can only limit inbound
    connexion.

    With inbound connexion i would need 2 2950 to be able to limit user
    inbound/outbound by limiting the inbound on each 2950, what would mean a
    2950 with 48 port 100BaseT and 1 Gig port per 48 users.

    As for what kind of user i'm talking about let me try to get you a
    example :

    POP1 is my main office with my internet connection.

    POP2 is a remote office.

    I receive all the traffic from POP2 on a trunk, each user with is own VLAN.

    When those user get into my POP1 i give them access to internet.

    I have to limit all those user with a global inbound/outbound bandwidth
    limit and to limit each user with is own inbound/outbound bandwidth.

    Regards

    Cedric Tardif, Sep 24, 2004