  1. Luttrell

    Luttrell Guest

    Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    Luttrell, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Luttrell

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

    > Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    I've done panorama using the hugin suite - works quite well. Recently GIMP
    has added a built in panorama utility - it seems to work reasonably well
    too. I think GIMP should be able to do borders - I've never had the urge
    to try.

    ray, Apr 25, 2007

  3. Luttrell

    Bill Guest

    On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell <> wrote:

    >Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    Check out free Autostitch at:

    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

    Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
    download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
    a couple of years.

    HTH
    Bill

    Bill, Apr 25, 2007
  4. Bill <> wrote:
    : On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell <> wrote:

    : >Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    : Check out free Autostitch at:

    : http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

    : Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
    : download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
    : a couple of years.

    : HTH
    : Bill

    A second vote for Autostitch. One advantage I have found is that I can
    make several smaller sections that can then be stitched into a larger pano
    later. No other stitching software I have tried has been able to stitch
    multi image "sub panos". The other disadvantage I have found is that you
    have no manual control so when it works it works fantastic, but when it
    gets confused (very rare) there is no help for it. But as free software,
    It can't be beat. And if you don't like it, you aren't out anything.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Apr 26, 2007
  5. "Luttrell" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    Well, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but the "Panorama Maker 3"
    software that came with my FZ30 did an excellent job of stitching together
    10-8 meg photos of the eastern side of the Sierra Mountains. I was quite
    impressed by the ease of use, and the professional results.

    Robert Cunningham

    Robert A. Cunningham, Apr 26, 2007
  6. Luttrell

    Guest

    On Apr 25, 5:30 pm, Luttrell <> wrote:
    > Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

    Ptgui (not free) seems to get the most good reports, and then Hugin
    (free). I'll be trying them shortly. I'm sure others here can give
    further details, or you might want to do the right thing and search
    past postings - there are plenty.

    A lot of folk recommend Autostitch, but I can't. It crashes
    frequently and erratically with my (admittedly quite large and
    detailed) images - and when it does succeed, its occasional mismatches
    just leave me scratching my head, because the user can't really
    control the result (unless I'm missing something and heaven knows I've
    experimented, read the readme's, forum posts, etc).. If your needs
    are modest, it may be ok and is worth a try at that price (free),
    however.

    , Apr 26, 2007
  7. Luttrell

    JC Dill Guest

    On 26 Apr 2007 02:20:31 -0700, wrote:

    >A lot of folk recommend Autostitch, but I can't. It crashes
    >frequently and erratically with my (admittedly quite large and
    >detailed) images -

    Run autostitch first on small files (do this automagically by
    constraining the output size) to make sure it can match them. If I
    have a lot of files I want to stitch at a large size, I do them in
    batches - stitch 2 or 3 together at a time then stitch those together.
    It handles large image panoramas better that way.

    Can't beat the price, or the fact that I set it up and come back later
    and there's my panorama. Who wants to hand stitch stuff when
    autostitch can do it for you?

    See:

    http://flickr.com/photos/jcdill/336301857/in/set-72157594445724107/

    People ask me how I lined up the waves. The answer is "I don't know".
    Autostitch just did it for me!

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Apr 30, 2007