    Father Christmas brought me an i-mac, any suggestions on the best, reasonbly
    priced photo software for a keen amateur, any body using Aperture??

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Tony Ridgway, Dec 28, 2006

  2. In article <4593e05e$>, Tony Ridgway
    <> wrote:

    > Father Christmas brought me an i-mac, any suggestions on the best, reasonbly
    > priced photo software for a keen amateur, any body using Aperture??

    Right out of the gate I'd suggest a copy of GraphicConverter.
    (http://www.lemkesoft.com/) It's shareware ($30), has reasonably
    complete editing, and awesome batch-mode functions. Even if you have
    more powerful software like PhotoShop, you'll find yourself using it a
    lot - I do.

    Scott Schuckert, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Tony Ridgway

    Ken Lucke Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Father Christmas brought me an i-mac, any suggestions on the best, reasonbly
    > priced photo software for a keen amateur, any body using Aperture??

    Yes. Get it. You won't regret it. They have a 30 day free trial, if
    you're leery of just buying it outright.

    It will do all your organizational needs (including printing, basic
    slideshows, and basic web pages), plus all your "whole image"
    manipulation such as exposure, saturation, white balance, brightness,
    contrast, etc., etc. You'll still need PS or similar for pushing
    pixels around, but for the most part, Aperture will do all the major
    adjustments you need. It will export to PS (or other) and
    automatically retrieve the saved image after you close it from the
    editing program.

    You'll also need more memory than your iMac probably came with - they
    normally come with 512mb, Aperture requires at least 1gb (unless you
    get a copy of earlier versions up to 1.1, then there's a patch floating
    around that allows you to run it on slower machines (<867mhz) and
    smaller memory machines (<1gb)). But 1.5(.2) really throws some major
    additional improvements in file management and editing into the works,
    and it's dead slow with all the memory swapouts when using less than
    1gb of memory, so I'd never recommend someone run the earlier version
    that way unless they simply had to because of machine constraints.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Tony Ridgway

    Tony Ridgway Guest

    Thanks Scott, that looks ok for me, All the Best to you and everyone for
    the New Year.

    Tony Ridgway, Dec 29, 2006
  5. Tony Ridgway

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <4593e05e$>,
    "Tony Ridgway" <> wrote:

    > Father Christmas brought me an i-mac, any suggestions on the best, reasonbly
    > priced photo software for a keen amateur, any body using Aperture??
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    This depends on your needs. Aperture is expensive and unless you're a
    serious amateur or a pro photographer, its probably overkill. Try iPhoto
    for starters because its already on your Mac and its very good.

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 29, 2006