    I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or Kaspersky
    (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.

    Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a resource hog?
    Muze Groops, Aug 30, 2007

  2. On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:12:19 -0400, Muze Groops wrote:

    > I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or
    > Kaspersky (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >
    > Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a
    > resource hog?

    If you use XP, then I would recommend Sygate.

    Symantec bought out Sygate, but older versions can be found,
    before Symantec got their hands on it & promptly ruined it. I
    use Sygate 5.5build2710. Get it here:

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

    I've also used Tiny Personal Firewall successfully with Win98SE,
    but like Sygate much better. YMMV.

    As another option, I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0
    successfully with Vista. It has everything & is not a hog.
    Phyl McGrouen, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Muze Groops

    Muze Groops Guest

    Phyl McGrouen wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:12:19 -0400, Muze Groops wrote:
    >
    >> I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or
    >> Kaspersky (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a
    >> resource hog?

    > If you use XP, then I would recommend Sygate.
    >
    > Symantec bought out Sygate, but older versions can be found,
    > before Symantec got their hands on it & promptly ruined it. I
    > use Sygate 5.5build2710. Get it here:
    >
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

    I downloaded it, but XP doesn't recognize it, so I turned off the
    Windows firewall to avoid any conflicts (is this normal with sygate?)
    also why that version as opposed to the last version that they offered?

    Thanks
    Muze Groops, Aug 30, 2007
  4. Muze Groops

    Muze Gruppes Guest

    Phyl McGrouen wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:12:19 -0400, Muze Groops wrote:
    >
    >> I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or
    >> Kaspersky (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a
    >> resource hog?

    > If you use XP, then I would recommend Sygate.
    >
    > Symantec bought out Sygate, but older versions can be found,
    > before Symantec got their hands on it & promptly ruined it. I
    > use Sygate 5.5build2710. Get it here:
    >
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate
    >
    > I've also used Tiny Personal Firewall successfully with Win98SE,
    > but like Sygate much better. YMMV.
    >
    > As another option, I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0
    > successfully with Vista. It has everything & is not a hog.

    actually I just went to Utorrent and get the Pro 5.6 version
    I computer is DEFINATELY going faster. Thanks for the advice! :)
    Muze Gruppes, Aug 30, 2007
  5. Muze Groops wrote:
    > I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or Kaspersky
    > (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >
    > Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a resource hog?

    Kerio.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Muze Groops

    Plato Guest

    Muze Groops wrote:

    > I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or Kaspersky
    > (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >
    > Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a resource hog?

    I suppose it may help if you say what OS you are using. For example, I
    am currently using win98SE to post here, and I use an old version of
    zonealarm as my firewall.

    Old versions of Zone Alarm are not resource hogs.

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Muze Groops

    elaich Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Kerio.

    Yep. And, Kerio 2.1.3, coupled with Sygate 5.6, passes almost all of the
    leakage tests. They get along beautifully, and you have almost limitless
    setup options.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Aug 30, 2007
  8. elaich wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Kerio.

    > Yep. And, Kerio 2.1.3, coupled with Sygate 5.6, passes almost all of the
    > leakage tests. They get along beautifully, and you have almost limitless
    > setup options.

    Blarp had an excellent tutorial on Kerio, but the site seems to have
    gone away.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2007
  9. Muze Groops

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Blarp had an excellent tutorial on Kerio, but the site seems to have
    > gone away.

    The IRS took it. It's up for auction later on this year.
    Plato, Aug 30, 2007
  10. Muze Groops

    Muze Gruppes Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Muze Groops wrote:
    >> I'm ditching Zonealarm Security Suite, getting either Nod32 or Kaspersky
    >> (probably Kaspersky) as my AV.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations on a good software firewall that isn't a resource hog?

    > I suppose it may help if you say what OS you are using. For example, I
    > am currently using win98SE to post here, and I use an old version of
    > zonealarm as my firewall.
    >
    > Old versions of Zone Alarm are not resource hogs.
    >
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

    Well I'm using a Dell Dimension 8200 512k Ram Pent 4 2gig processor
    Win XP Sp2

    The Sygate seems to be working well... although now I'm tempted to try
    out an earlier version of Zone Alarm. Which older version do you recommend?

    -MG
    Muze Gruppes, Aug 30, 2007
  11. Muze Groops

    Plato Guest

    Muze Gruppes wrote:

    > > Old versions of Zone Alarm are not resource hogs.
    > >
    > > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

    > Well I'm using a Dell Dimension 8200 512k Ram Pent 4 2gig processor
    > Win XP Sp2
    >
    > The Sygate seems to be working well... although now I'm tempted to try
    > out an earlier version of Zone Alarm. Which older version do you recommend?

    Firewalls are really simple programs as long as they dont come along
    with any crap. But, if it aint broke, dont fix it :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 31, 2007