    -Compact flash or Smart Media memory

    Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    Jacob
    Jacob Fruehling, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Jacob Fruehling

    NJH Guest

    "Jacob Fruehling" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the Minolta
    > Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this camera, but I was
    > hoping for more resolution.

    You've got it in the DiMAGE Xt. The original X is discontinued anyway; there
    are one or two places that still advertise it, for some weird reason at a
    higher price than the Xt. The Xt is a better camera in every way.

    > I heard that Sony just released one, but I
    > would like to avoid memory stick in favor of Smart Media or Compact
    > Flash. Any ideas? Here is what I am looking for:
    >
    > -Size Size Size (small that is)

    The Xt is small small small. It's a shirt-pocket sized camera that REALLY
    fits in a shirt pocket. In fact I suppose you could put two or maybe three
    of 'em in your shirt pocket, though I personally wouldn't want to do that
    with mine.

    > -3x or more optical zoom

    The Xt has a 3x optical zoom, 37-111mm equivalent. And a 4x digital zoom on
    top of that, if that's of any use.

    > -video

    The Xt has video. I've never used it on mine so can't comment on it.

    > -sturdy frame

    The Xt is beautifully and solidly built.

    > -Better resolution than Dimage

    The original DiMAGE X has 2.0 megapixels. The Xt has 3.2 megapixels, which I
    have found perfectly adequate for nice sharp letter-sized prints.

    > -Compact flash or Smart Media memory

    Nope, you're outta luck there. I doubt you'll find ANY ultracompact that
    uses either of those; the cards are just too large. The Xt (like the X and
    Xi before it, and the newer X20) uses Secure Digital memory, as do most
    other ultracompacts.

    > Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    Opinion: Buy a DiMAGE Xt. No two ways about it. I love mine.

    Neil
    NJH, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Jacob Fruehling

    Frank ess Guest

    NJH wrote:
    > "Jacob Fruehling" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the
    >> Minolta Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this
    >> camera, but I was hoping for more resolution.

    <snip>

    >> Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    > Opinion: Buy a DiMAGE Xt. No two ways about it. I love mine.
    >
    > Neil

    I have a lot of photo equipmnet, but this Xt is the one that gets the most
    use, day in and day out.

    Dimmige Xi - Xt, comparison photos and album of examples:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E

    More Xt examples:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/D1400EF27A5935D

    First attempt at sharing video from Xt (it's about 3MB; make sure your sound
    is on; Fototime converts the original MOV file to Windows video, the orig is
    still available if you want it; some browsers want you to download, MSIE
    opens the WinPlayer and awaaaay you go):
    http://www.fototime.com/ADEA7BDBA90A1D8/conv.wmv

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 20, 2003
  4. NJH wrote:

    > "Jacob Fruehling" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the Minolta
    > > Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this camera, but I was
    > > hoping for more resolution.

    > You've got it in the DiMAGE Xt. The original X is discontinued anyway; there
    > are one or two places that still advertise it, for some weird reason at a
    > higher price than the Xt. The Xt is a better camera in every way.

    I sure hope so since it is the new version. I think I should have asked
    about other than the whole Dimage Xx series.

    > The original DiMAGE X has 2.0 megapixels. The Xt has 3.2 megapixels, which I
    > have found perfectly adequate for nice sharp letter-sized prints.

    I was hoping for a 4 to 5mp size. :(

    > > -Compact flash or Smart Media memory

    > Nope, you're outta luck there. I doubt you'll find ANY ultracompact that
    > uses either of those; the cards are just too large. The Xt (like the X and
    > Xi before it, and the newer X20) uses Secure Digital memory, as do most
    > other ultracompacts.

    Really? Smart Media are incredibly small and thin.

    > > Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    > Opinion: Buy a DiMAGE Xt. No two ways about it. I love mine.

    Hmm, it looks really good, but I really want higher rez and different
    media.

    any other recommendations?
    Jacob Fruehling, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Jacob Fruehling

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: Jacob Fruehling
    Date: Sat, Dec 20, 2003 2:21 PM

    NJH wrote:

    > "Jacob Fruehling" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the Minolta
    > > Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this camera, but I was
    > > hoping for more resolution.

    > You've got it in the DiMAGE Xt. The original X is discontinued anyway; there
    > are one or two places that still advertise it, for some weird reason at a
    > higher price than the Xt. The Xt is a better camera in every way.

    I sure hope so since it is the new version. I think I should have asked
    about other than the whole Dimage Xx series.

    > The original DiMAGE X has 2.0 megapixels. The Xt has 3.2 megapixels, which I
    > have found perfectly adequate for nice sharp letter-sized prints.

    I was hoping for a 4 to 5mp size. :(

    > > -Compact flash or Smart Media memory

    > Nope, you're outta luck there. I doubt you'll find ANY ultracompact that
    > uses either of those; the cards are just too large. The Xt (like the X and
    > Xi before it, and the newer X20) uses Secure Digital memory, as do most
    > other ultracompacts.

    Really? Smart Media are incredibly small and thin.

    > > Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    > Opinion: Buy a DiMAGE Xt. No two ways about it. I love mine.

    Hmm, it looks really good, but I really want higher rez and different
    media.

    any other recommendations?
    >><BR><BR>

    How about the world’s smallest 5 MP camera? Stats:
    1. Cyber Shot DSC-T1 5 MPs
    2. 3Xs optical zoom (folded lens design).
    3. 2.5 “ LCD monitor with 210,000 Pixels (Yes, I said 2.5†LCD monitor)
    4. Docking station

    Available in January for about $550. I am not a fan of Sony but the specs and
    look make me drool. See info on :

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03102202sonydsct1.asp

    P.S. Although I don’t necessarily like the Sony media I agree the prior post
    that Compact Flash is too big for these sub-mini cameras AND Smart Media is
    DEAD at 128 MBs. One memory sales site has discontinued sales of this media.
    FredBillie, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Jacob Fruehling

    > NJH wrote:
    > >
    > > "Jacob Fruehling" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the Minolta
    > > > Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this camera, but I

    was
    > > > hoping for more resolution.

    > > You've got it in the DiMAGE Xt. The original X is discontinued anyway;

    there
    > > are one or two places that still advertise it, for some weird reason at

    > > higher price than the Xt. The Xt is a better camera in every way.

    > I sure hope so since it is the new version. I think I should have asked
    > about other than the whole Dimage Xx series.
    >
    > > The original DiMAGE X has 2.0 megapixels. The Xt has 3.2 megapixels,

    which I
    > > have found perfectly adequate for nice sharp letter-sized prints.

    > I was hoping for a 4 to 5mp size. :(

    Do you really think you need that, especially in an ultracompact? I have 4
    and 5 megapixel cameras too and they're fine, but my Xt never leaves me
    feeling the need for more. I have seen very nice 8 x 10 prints made with 2
    Mp for that matter. If you're planning on salon-sized prints then I suggest
    you might want something larger than an ultracompact anyway.

    > > > -Compact flash or Smart Media memory

    > > Nope, you're outta luck there. I doubt you'll find ANY ultracompact that
    > > uses either of those; the cards are just too large. The Xt (like the X

    and
    > > Xi before it, and the newer X20) uses Secure Digital memory, as do most
    > > other ultracompacts.

    > Really? Smart Media are incredibly small and thin.

    Well, it's very THIN all right, but it's not noticeably smaller than
    CompactFlash in the other dimensions. And it's pretty much a thing of the
    past anyway. No SmartMedia cards are made in more than 128MB size, and never
    will be since camera makers have virtually abandoned it. Olympus still makes
    at least one model that takes it (the C-5050), mostly for the benefit of
    older Olympus users who already have SmartMedia. But the C-5050 is a
    three-way camera as far as memory goes, with CompactFlash and the <groan>
    new xD cards really the types of memory most users will buy for it. If I'm
    not mistaken, even Olympus has abandoned SM in the newer C-5060 model.

    SM and CF cards are both ENORMOUS compared to SD and xD.

    > > > Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.

    > > Opinion: Buy a DiMAGE Xt. No two ways about it. I love mine.

    > Hmm, it looks really good, but I really want higher rez and different
    > media.
    >
    > any other recommendations?

    Well, maybe. Konica Minolta's new DiMAGE G400 looks very interesting. I'm
    waiting to see some reviews on it first, though.

    Neil
    NJH, Dec 21, 2003
  7. NJH wrote:
    > > any other recommendations?

    > Well, maybe. Konica Minolta's new DiMAGE G400 looks very interesting. I'm
    > waiting to see some reviews on it first, though.

    Hmm, that looks really interesting. I am going to try to find one to
    look at here in town.

    Jacob
    Jacob Fruehling, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Jacob Fruehling

    > NJH wrote:
    > > > any other recommendations?

    > > Well, maybe. Konica Minolta's new DiMAGE G400 looks very interesting.

    I'm
    > > waiting to see some reviews on it first, though.

    > Hmm, that looks really interesting. I am going to try to find one to
    > look at here in town.

    Let us know what you think if you find one. I've been checking fairly
    regularly at Steve's Digicams and DPReview for a thorough review on it, but
    haven't seen anything yet.

    According to the specs, it is very close to the X series for small size and
    light weight, and it is 4 Mp.

    Neil
    NJH, Dec 22, 2003
  9. Jacob Fruehling

    dsco Guest

    Jacob Fruehling <> wrote:

    >Hello. Now I am looking for a camera of a similar size to the Minolta
    >Dimage X. Actually, I like most everything about this camera, but I was
    >hoping for more resolution. I heard that Sony just released one, but I
    >would like to avoid memory stick in favor of Smart Media or Compact
    >Flash. Any ideas? Here is what I am looking for:
    >
    >-Size Size Size (small that is)
    >-3x or more optical zoom
    >-video
    >-sturdy frame
    >-Better resolution than Dimage
    >-Compact flash or Smart Media memory
    >
    >Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Jacob

    Maybe this list I made will help.

    To me, the most important factor is how thick the camera is. The
    thinner it is, the easier it fits in the pocket, especially a
    pants pocket.

    Here's a list of small cameras that you might consider, ordered
    by thickness, also showing size in cubic inches (ci), weight,
    effective megapixels (mp), optical zoom (x), and best lens f
    number, per data from manufacturer sites or reviews. Because
    most of these cameras aren't exactly box-shaped, the thickness
    may vary and the ci value is only an approximation; the weight is
    usually without batteries or accessories; megapixels are rounded
    down to nearest million.

    Considering only 2mp or more, 1.2" thick or less.

    - 0.39" 3.23ci 2.1oz 2mp 0x f4.0 Panasonic SV-AV10
    - 0.44" 2.99ci 2.8oz 2mp 0x f3.5 Casio Exilim EX-S20U/EX-M20U
    - 0.44" 3.30ci 3.1oz 2mp 0x f3.2 Casio Exilim EX-S2
    - 0.46" 3.63ci 2.6oz 3mp 0x f4.2 Casio Exilim EX-S3
    - 0.49" 3.68ci 3.2oz 2mp 0x f3.2 Casio Exilim EX-M2
    - 0.59" 5.72ci 4.4oz 3mp 3x f2.8 Kyocera Finecam SL300R
    - 0.73" 4.81ci 3.5oz 4mp 0x f2.8 Canon PowerShot SD10
    - 0.79" 5.27ci 3.5oz 4mp 3x f2.6 Pentax Optio S4
    - 0.79" 7.03ci 4.2oz 3mp 3x f2.8 Minolta Dimage Xt
    - 0.79" 7.44ci 4.6oz 3mp 3x f2.8 Minolta Dimage Xi
    - 0.83" 7.01ci 6.6oz 5mp 3x f3.5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 (Jan 2004)
    - 0.90" 6.91ci 4.5oz 3mp 3x f2.6 Casio Exilim EX-Z3
    - 0.93" 7.15ci 4.6oz 4mp 3x f2.6 Casio Exilim EX-Z4
    - 0.93" 8.32ci 4.1oz 2mp 3x f2.8 Minolta Dimage X20
    - 0.94" 6.93ci 5.8oz 3mp 2x f2.8 Canon PowerShot SD100
    - 0.98" 6.12ci 4.7oz 2mp 0x f2.8 Sony Cybershot DSC-U50
    - 1.00" 10.2ci 6.3oz 3mp 3x f2.7 Nikon Coolpix SQ
    - 1.02" 8.22ci 5.1oz 4mp 3x f2.8 Minolta Dimage G400 (0.9" at thinnest)
    - 1.05" 8.07ci 6.4oz 3mp 2x f2.8 Canon PowerShot S230
    - 1.09" 8.37ci 6.5oz 4mp 3x f2.8 Canon PowerShot S400
    - 1.10" 9.80ci 5.7oz 3mp 3x f2.8 Fuji Finepix F410
    - 1.14" 6.00ci 4.3oz 2mp 0x f2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-U30
    - 1.16" 9.44ci 7.1oz 5mp 3x f2.8 Minolta Dimage G500
    dsco, Dec 23, 2003