Best SLR Camera Strap...(professional)?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robdes, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. robdes

    robdes Guest

    Sorry if this is off topic but I am looking for a really good camera
    strap for my digital cameras.

    Here is my dilemma...

    I have 2 digital SLRs.

    I find that when they are over the neck in front of me when I am moving
    quickly or bending over they get in the way.

    When I put them over my shoulder and across my torso they are much more
    secure but hard to get into shooting position.

    Just of the shoulder is a disaster waiting to happen (too likely to
    slip off).

    I have to believe that there are some photojornalists that have
    confronted and solved this problem.

    A way to carry the camera securely (over the shoulder across the torso)
    with a strap that somehow makes it easier to get into shooting
    position.

    Thanks in advance.

    robdes, Jan 1, 2005

  2. robdes

    Don B Guest

    robes wrote:
    > Sorry if this is off topic but I am looking for a really good camera
    > strap for my digital cameras.
    >
    > Here is my dilemma...
    >
    > I have 2 digital SLRs.
    >
    > I find that when they are over the neck in front of me when I am moving
    > quickly or bending over they get in the way.
    >
    > When I put them over my shoulder and across my torso they are much more
    > secure but hard to get into shooting position.
    >
    > Just of the shoulder is a disaster waiting to happen (too likely to
    > slip off).
    >
    > I have to believe that there are some photojornalists that have
    > confronted and solved this problem.
    >
    > A way to carry the camera securely (over the shoulder across the torso)
    > with a strap that somehow makes it easier to get into shooting
    > position.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    There is a company in Ohio, Cartom Inc. website:
    http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/photop.htm

    I have been using their straps for some years now and I swear by them.
    When I shoot a festival I have a S2 Pro with a 70-200 f2.8 lens on one
    shoulder and a Nikon N90S with a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 on the other shoulder,
    and I have yet to have one slide. Their straps are made of a material
    that feels like sponge rubber, they grip your shoulder and are really
    comfortable if you are carrying a heavy camera. Another thing I like is,
    two short straps attach to the camera with quick disconnect clips and
    the main strap also has quick disconnects so if you don't want to use
    the thing as a shoulder strap you pop the main part off and clip the two
    short ones together to make a carrying handle. Another thing that's not
    hard to take is their price. About a year and a half ago I think I paid
    under $15.00 for a strap.

    Don B, Jan 1, 2005

  3. robdes

    Basic Wedge Guest

    I use Domke camera straps, exclusively. They're made out of the same tough
    as nails webbing material used by the military, but have cords of rubber
    weaved into them, to make them totally non-slip. I've used Domkes for,
    something like, twenty years, on big, heavy cameras and lenses, and never
    had any kind of problem.

    Rob

    Basic Wedge, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Another voter for Domke. I use the wide Gripper straps on SLRs, and the
    narrow ones for smaller cameras. Very comfortable and secure. I haven't
    found anything I prefer yet, after 30 years of looking.

    Paul

    Paul Chefurka, Jan 2, 2005
  5. In article <>, Paul Chefurka
    <> wrote:

    > Another voter for Domke. I use the wide Gripper straps on SLRs, and the
    > narrow ones for smaller cameras. Very comfortable and secure. I haven't
    > found anything I prefer yet, after 30 years of looking.

    I use a "pro" strap from Canon - has rubber woven into the fabric on
    the underside so it doesn't slide down your shoulder. So far it's held
    up well.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 2, 2005
  6. robdes

    Basic Wedge Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" wrote ...

    > I use a "pro" strap from Canon - has rubber woven into the fabric on
    > the underside so it doesn't slide down your shoulder. So far it's held
    > up well.

    I think you'll find those "Canon" straps are made by Domke.

    Rob

    Basic Wedge, Jan 2, 2005
  7. robdes

    stewy Guest

    wrote:

    > Sorry if this is off topic but I am looking for a really good camera
    > strap for my digital cameras.
    >
    > Here is my dilemma...
    >
    > I have 2 digital SLRs.
    >
    > I find that when they are over the neck in front of me when I am moving
    > quickly or bending over they get in the way.
    >
    > When I put them over my shoulder and across my torso they are much more
    > secure but hard to get into shooting position.
    >
    > Just of the shoulder is a disaster waiting to happen (too likely to
    > slip off).
    >
    > I have to believe that there are some photojornalists that have
    > confronted and solved this problem.
    >
    > A way to carry the camera securely (over the shoulder across the torso)
    > with a strap that somehow makes it easier to get into shooting
    > position.

    One idea is - as you're only using one camera at a time, get a double headed
    tripod nut (threads at both ends and a 2 cm knurled ring in the middle.
    Attach the camera strap to a single ring on each camera.

    stewy, Jan 10, 2005