    these or any others? Thanks for any input,

    Scott
    , Sep 20, 2003

  2. Pug Fugley2 Guest

    Never liked Toshiba at all, Sony is merely okay. You should check out a
    Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.

    Pug Fugley2, Sep 20, 2003

  3. luminos Guest

    Beware that Panasonics have only optical audio connections for digital
    audio....no coaxial.

    luminos, Sep 20, 2003
  4. wrote:

    > I'm looking at both the Sony 325 and the Toshiba 3950? Any opinions of
    > these or any others? Thanks for any input

    Too funny, why don't you get a skateboard instead of a car too...

    Darrel :)
    Darrel Christenson, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Dunf Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > Beware that Panasonics have only optical audio connections for digital
    > audio....no coaxial.
    >
    > "Pug Fugley2" <> wrote in message
    > > Never liked Toshiba at all, Sony is merely okay. You should check out a
    > > Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    > > quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.
    > >

    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > I'm looking at both the Sony 325 and the Toshiba 3950? Any opinions of
    > > > these or any others? Thanks for any input,
    > > >
    > > > Scott

    The Toshiba SD-3900 is the best machine in this category. Panasonics are
    unreliable and very poorly built
    Dunf, Sep 20, 2003
  6. Pug Fugley2 Guest

    "Dunf" <> wrote in message

    > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > > Beware that Panasonics have only optical audio connections for digital
    > > audio....no coaxial.
    > >
    > > "Pug Fugley2" <> wrote in message
    > > > Never liked Toshiba at all, Sony is merely okay. You should check out

    > > > Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    > > > quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.
    > > >

    > > > <> wrote in message

    of

    > The Toshiba SD-3900 is the best machine in this category. Panasonics are
    > unreliable and very poorly built

    Actually, you have that BACKWARDS. Panasonic cannot be touched in that price
    range.
    Pug Fugley2, Sep 20, 2003
  7. JY Guest

    JY, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at both the Sony 325 and the Toshiba 3950? Any opinions of
    > these or any others? Thanks for any input,

    For $180 you could get a Pioneer DV-563A. Its claim to fame? It's a
    "universal" player, that supports not just the usual DVD and CD formats, but
    also both DVD-A *and* SACD.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Sep 20, 2003
  9. In general, I recommend only Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic, and JVC DVD
    players.

    Both models may exhibit the chroma upsampling error, but I would give the nod
    to the Sony. However, it only offers a coaxial digital output. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 20, 2003
  10. >You should check out a
    >Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    >quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.

    Elaborate specifically how a picture from a Panasonic is better than a Sony.

    Aside from the upsampling problem, they're both about the same, but Sony
    players tend not to have excessive ringing, which means you see DVD at its true
    resolution. Panasonics don't have much of a problem in this regard, either.
    Pioneer players, on the other hand, are notorious for excessive ringing.

    Watching an anamorphic DVD, the Sony tends to deliver a picture with more
    dynamic contrast and about the same level of sharpness than Panasonic. This is
    watching a 16x9 DVD through s-video using the hidden anamorphic mode on a Sony
    KV-27S66 Trinitron television. Sony DVP-S360 in comparison to a Panasonic
    DVD-A110 and Panasonic DVD-RV41.

    As for functionality, I've found that the Sonys were a bit better at it than
    the Panasonics. On the Panasonic, accessing the player settings menu involves
    pressing a button that no one would associate with it. (ACTION)

    On Sony, you simply navigate through a GUI to access the player settings, and
    it's not that difficult at all.

    On the Panasonic, you have to use the cursor keys to select what audio track,
    angle, or subtitle and to turn them on or off. On the Sony, you simply press
    one button to cycle though the different audio tracks, angles, or subtitles, or
    to have them set off.

    Also, Sonys tend to load DVDs faster than Panasonics.

    Build quality, both are built pretty well. Panasonics, however, have a better
    designed disc drive, using DC brushless motors for both the disc spindle and
    kicker mechanism. This applied to some notoriously unreliable models as well,
    like the DVD-A110 and DVD-A310, although the source of unreliability was a bad
    optical pickup design.

    One of the best non-progressive DVD players is, indeed, a Sony. The first
    generation DVP-S7000. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 20, 2003
  11. ANYTHING PIONEER.

    NEED I REPEAT MYSELF? ANYTHING PIONEER!!!

    I THINK EVERYONE NOW KNOWS WHERE I STAND.

    You're welcome,

    J.
    NY

    ..

    ·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    Jason R. Sutliff
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´
    -:¦:- ((¸¸
    ·.·

    Jason Robert Sutliff, Sep 21, 2003
  12. Black Locust Guest

    In article <4bXab.71409$>,
    "Dunf" <> wrote:

    > The Toshiba SD-3900 is the best machine in this category. Panasonics are
    > unreliable and very poorly built

    That's absolute bullshit. Please do not spread these mistruths around
    any further.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 21, 2003
  13. Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    > As for functionality, I've found that the Sonys were a bit better at it than
    > the Panasonics. On the Panasonic, accessing the player settings menu
    > involves
    > pressing a button that no one would associate with it. (ACTION)

    Just one thing. This is only the case with older Panasonic's. My new
    DVD-S35 has a 'SETUP' button to access the menu with.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 21, 2003
  14. Frohike Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at both the Sony 325 and the Toshiba 3950? Any opinions of
    > these or any others? Thanks for any input,
    >
    > Scott

    Try adding around $20 and get the Pioneer DV563A. You get decent DVDA and
    SACD, too! I got one for my sister and it's awesome. The only thing
    missing's a screensaver when it's paused. Other than that, great picture and
    sound. Here's a couple of reviews:

    >http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=21<

    >http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Numb

    er=443937&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1<
    Frohike, Sep 21, 2003
  15. Frohike Guest

    "Frohike" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at both the Sony 325 and the Toshiba 3950? Any opinions of
    > > these or any others? Thanks for any input,
    > >
    > > Scott

    > Try adding around $20 and get the Pioneer DV563A. You get decent DVDA and
    > SACD, too! I got one for my sister and it's awesome. The only thing
    > missing's a screensaver when it's paused. Other than that, great picture

    and
    > sound. Here's a couple of reviews:
    >
    > >http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=21<

    >http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB6&Numb
    > er=443937&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1<

    Sorry, here are the links again. Hope they're clickable now.

    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=21

    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htst...=443937&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
    Frohike, Sep 21, 2003
  16. Ronald Cole Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) writes:
    > In general, I recommend only Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic, and JVC DVD
    > players.
    >
    > Both models may exhibit the chroma upsampling error, but I would give the nod
    > to the Sony. However, it only offers a coaxial digital output. - Reinhart

    I don't know of a Sony that doesn't have the upsampling error...
    Panasonic, on the other hand, is a remarkable value for the price!

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    Ronald Cole, Sep 21, 2003
  17. Mark B. Guest

    "Dunf" <> wrote in message
    > The Toshiba SD-3900 is the best machine in this category. Panasonics are
    > unreliable and very poorly built

    Never yet had a problem with my 3-year old Panasonic A-120.

    Mark
    Mark B., Sep 21, 2003
  18. thorndike Guest

    Check out www.dvdrhelp.com - they have lots of opinions on lots
    of DVD players. My personal choices have been a Toshiba 1200 and
    then recently Toshiba 3900; I have been happy with both. The
    reason I like Toshibas is that almost all have a zoom feature.
    [it only gets used occassionally but it is nice]. The remotes could
    be better designed.

    Figure out which features you like and choose based on them -
    and buy from a place that will allow you to return without penalty.

    Good Luck -

    thorndike

    In article <7jQab.11830$>,
    says...

    thorndike, Sep 22, 2003
  19. PeterTHX Guest

    > Never liked Toshiba at all, Sony is merely okay. You should check out a
    > Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    > quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.

    Totally untrue.
    The Sony DVPNS725P can be had for $129 at Circuit City.
    12bit-108MHz Video D/A conversion (same as the $1000+ Denon, Onkyo, etc),
    the BEST Panasonic is a 10 bit, 54MHz part.

    Not to mention plays DVD+R+RW and -R-RW, CD-R/RW
    Video CD AND Super VCDs

    Optical AND Coaxial Digital Outputs (better)

    Easy menu navigation, quick response, and good layer changes.

    ALL better than ANY Panasonic, or any other brand in the same price range
    for that matter.
    PeterTHX, Sep 22, 2003
  20. Pug Fugley Guest

    "PeterTHX" <> wrote in message

    > "Pug Fugley2" <> wrote in message
    > > Never liked Toshiba at all, Sony is merely okay. You should check out a
    > > Panasonic, you wouldn't believe how much better the Panasonic picture
    > > quality is, not to mention the far better controls on Panasonics.
    > >

    > Totally untrue.
    > The Sony DVPNS725P can be had for $129 at Circuit City.
    > 12bit-108MHz Video D/A conversion (same as the $1000+ Denon, Onkyo, etc),
    > the BEST Panasonic is a 10 bit, 54MHz part.

    Don't mean jack shit. The Panasonic LOOKS better. It has a better PICTURE
    QUALITY. Can you understand that?

    I don't care if the Panasonic has a freaking cotton gin for a D/A converter.
    It fucking looks better. It's that simple. Trust me, I own both because
    Panasonic does not make a 300 disc changer.

    > Not to mention plays DVD+R+RW and -R-RW, CD-R/RW
    > Video CD AND Super VCDs

    Panasonic does also, and it does it better. The Sony has trouble with
    certain media.

    > Optical AND Coaxial Digital Outputs (better)

    Both sound the same. Neither is better.

    > Easy menu navigation, quick response, and good layer changes.

    Panasonic has ALWAYS been the king. Trust me, I've been doing this since
    1997.

    Next time do some research before shooting your mouth off.
    Pug Fugley, Sep 22, 2003