    I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
    British citizen.

    Thanks
    Viktor, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Viktor

    Angela Guest

    "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    news:41bf3dd6$0$295$...
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
    > British citizen.

    No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport. Don't
    forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do not add on sales
    tax until you get to the till so bank on it being around 6% more than what
    you see on the tag.
    Angela, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Viktor

    Larry Guest

    In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$>,
    says...
    > I heard B&H is good.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
    > British citizen.
    >
    > Thanks

    You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when you
    go home...

    The taxes are what the taxes are..

    Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have to
    pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Viktor

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Viktor

    Georg E. Guest

    "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as

    > British citizen.

    B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
    and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
    imagine you can bargain with them too.

    However I have not heard that it is possible to not pay state taxes even if
    you are not a resident of the USA (like it is possible for non-EU citizens
    to get the UK VAT back). If you have an address outside UK state you should
    order online and have your order shipped there.

    I am sure you know about the customs when returning to the UK.

    Georg

    _________
    Professionelle Spracherkennung gibt es bei www.linguaconsult.de
    Georg E., Dec 14, 2004
  6. Viktor

    Aloha Guest

    Your discount will be the current exchange rate of the euro against the
    dollar! Isn't that why you're coming?
    Bob

    Aloha, Dec 14, 2004
  7. "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.

    I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
    know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
    extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
    them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA once
    and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.
    Dave knows who, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Viktor

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Viktor wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
    > British citizen.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Victor...

    I'm not in the US - I'm about 75 miles away in one of your
    colonies :)

    Used to shop often in the US, so maybe I can offer
    a little info...

    We don't have to pay their state taxes, IF we have them
    ship it to us, rather than carry it home ourself. That's
    of course self-defeating, because it sends it straight to
    your customs folks.

    Alternately, we can carry goods home, and apply for a
    rebate of those taxes after we get back. That's a
    whole bunch of paper work and delay. And the US tax
    folks want a copy of the paperwork proving that we have
    paid our taxes on it at this end.

    We can also buy at a duty free shop (airport, or border
    crossing) and pay no taxes. Doubt however that they'd
    have the kind of gear you're looking for available.

    None of those will be of help to you, but one more that
    just may help a wee bit if it applies to you...

    When we visit, if we stay for a weekend and can prove it
    (hotel or campground receipt) we're entitled to bring
    back 75 dollars canadian duty and tax free. And if we
    visit for a full week, we can bring back $300 cdn duty
    and tax free.

    Which leads me to wonder, if I may? Unless you have
    a compelling reason to deal with the US, would you
    possibly be as well off or better buying from a Canadian
    store? Members of the commonwealth, and all that?
    Plus your trip would be shorter, hence perhaps cheaper,
    and you wouldn't have to deal with all the 911 after
    effects.

    If you want to price compare, google Blacks camera, and
    price compare. I've no real idea of the value of the
    UK pound, but if it helps you compare, the Canadian
    dollar is worth .82 cents on the American dollar.

    Hope this helps.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Dec 14, 2004
  9. "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.

    It is the best.

    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
    > British citizen.

    You can avoid the New York State sales tax (which is a few percent) if you
    have the equipment shipped to a location outside New York State. B&H can
    advise about this.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 14, 2004

  10. > You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when
    > you
    > go home...

    Modern ones are often good for anything from 100 to 240 volts. Look on the
    battery charger to see. Anyhow, a battery charger draws so little power
    that you can run it off a British 120-volt electric shaver outlet if you
    have to.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 14, 2004
  11. Viktor

    leo Guest

    "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >
    > I heard B&H is good.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
    > British citizen.
    >
    > Thanks

    I think Delaware and New Hampshire have NO sales tax, if you can find a
    store that carry the items. I doubt many big chain stores would have the
    lens in stock. You never know though.
    leo, Dec 14, 2004
  12. I should add that the only taxes involved are:

    - the U.S. duty when the goods entered the U.S. from Japan
    (apparently small, and already included in the selling price)

    - the 8.6% New York sales tax

    We do not have anything like VAT. However, you will presumably have to pay
    British duty when you enter Britain with the camera.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Viktor wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >
    > Canon eos 20 D
    > Canon ef 24-70L Lens

    20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
    24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT
    David J Taylor, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Viktor

    Your-Nice Guest

    I bought from them there prices were very good and a quick delivery however
    I had to pay vat / import duty but I ordered through the internet .

    Your-Nice, Dec 14, 2004

  15. > Which leads me to wonder, if I may? Unless you have
    > a compelling reason to deal with the US, would you
    > possibly be as well off or better buying from a Canadian
    > store? Members of the commonwealth, and all that?
    > Plus your trip would be shorter, hence perhaps cheaper,
    > and you wouldn't have to deal with all the 911 after
    > effects.

    YES! Can he even find a Canadian shop that will ship it to him?

    North American pricing, no Canadian GST, and (as I understand it) no duty
    going into Britain. Right?
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Viktor

    leo Guest

    "Dave knows who" <> wrote in message

    > "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    >> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    >>
    >> Canon eos 20 D
    >> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    >>
    >> I heard B&H is good.
    >>

    > I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
    > know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
    > extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
    > them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA
    > once and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.

    No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every second.
    leo, Dec 14, 2004
  17. Viktor

    Viktor Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Viktor wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    > >
    > > Canon eos 20 D
    > > Canon ef 24-70L Lens

    > 20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
    > 24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT

    extortion for short, the uk gov will not get a penny of my hard earned cash!
    Viktor, Dec 14, 2004
  18. Viktor

    PeterL Guest

    "Angela" <> wrote in message

    > "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    > >
    > > Canon eos 20 D
    > > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    > >
    > > I heard B&H is good.
    > >
    > > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

    as
    > > British citizen.

    > No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport. Don't
    > forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do not add on

    sales
    > tax until you get to the till so bank on it being around 6% more than what
    > you see on the tag.

    NYC sales tax has not been 6% for a long long time now.

    PeterL, Dec 14, 2004
  19. Viktor

    PeterL Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$>,

    > says...
    > > I heard B&H is good.
    > >
    > > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

    as a
    > > British citizen.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when

    you
    > go home...

    Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery? And
    if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
    proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
    he can plug it into the British outlets.

    PeterL, Dec 14, 2004
  20. Viktor

    PeterL Guest

    "Georg E." <> wrote in message
    > "Viktor" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
    > > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
    > >
    > > Canon eos 20 D
    > > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
    > >
    > > I heard B&H is good.
    > >
    > > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price

    as
    > > British citizen.
    > >

    > B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
    > and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
    > imagine you can bargain with them too.
    >
    > However I have not heard that it is possible to not pay state taxes even

    if
    > you are not a resident of the USA (like it is possible for non-EU citizens
    > to get the UK VAT back). If you have an address outside UK state you

    should
    > order online and have your order shipped there.

    He wants to avoid customs. Otherwise there is no point in coming to NYC,
    except for the exchange rate.

    PeterL, Dec 14, 2004