best self-paced training books?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Villain, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Villain

    Villain Guest

    Hey all,

    I have been reading this group for a few weeks now, and trying to get
    a grip on some of the stuff that will be needed for me to pass the
    70-271 and 70-272 exams. One of the things I haven't found, though,
    is the book that most people recommend.

    I talked with some people at the local testing center, and they agree
    that the Microsoft Self-Paced kits are not the way to go, and that I
    should look for something that's more comprehensive than the MSPK
    books. Does anyone have a suggestion?

    I don't have a ton of money, so buying the DVD's, books, test kits,
    transcenders, etc. won't be an option. However, I can possibly get
    away with 2 books per test, if needed. I was able to pass 70-215 and
    70-218 (with decent scores) using the Microsoft Self-Paced Kits and
    the Sybex books (I believe it was Sybex), along with a lot of hands on
    work with Windows 2000 Server.

    I have plenty of Windows XP boxes to work with, and I am constantly
    taking the 30 question self-assessment exam with an 80% or higher
    score. However, there are a few questions that still get me, as I am
    unsure on how to answer them. One of the things I am probably having
    the hardest time with is the procedural stuff (i.e. when is this
    considered an incident) as opposed to the actual Windows XP related
    issues.

    I have not taken 70-270, but I have been told that it would make 271
    and 272 easier. Would it be a good idea to get this one out of the
    way first?

    Thank you for any tips you can offer.
    Villain, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Villain

    barney boy Guest

    i have just taken both exams at a boot camp and i used the MSPK books to
    study before i took the exams but on the course they used the Windows XP
    inside out book and we used that for studying etc. Not sure which is best but
    good luck anyway
    --
    Barney

    Always looking for help in order to help others.
    barney boy, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Villain

    Villain Guest

    I'm definately not discounting the Microsoft Books. I have used them
    in the past to obtain my MCP with Windows 2000 Server. I have quite a
    bit of experience with Windows XP, so I feel fairly confident with
    taking these tests, as well. I simply want to ensure that I cover the
    majority of what will be on the test. As we all know, the content on
    the test is different than any one study guide will give you, so
    relying on just one isn't the best idea.

    With that in mind, if I did get the Microsoft Press books, are there
    any others that people would recommend. I liked the Sybex books that
    I used with Windows 2000 Server, but their books are hit and miss
    sometimes (their client OS books seemed that way more than their
    server OS ones).

    I'll take any suggestions that people offer.

    Thanks,

    Villain, Apr 27, 2006