    in that it won't stop a hacker but might stop less-computer-literate
    neighbours.
    But how does WEP/OPEN compare with WPA-None/TKIP ??

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9kQg==?=, Feb 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9kQg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    This is very simple but explains the principles:
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "RodB" <> wrote in message
    > I've read some articles which say that WPA-PSK is the best security for
    > wireless, but this seems to be available only for Infrastructure mode
    > networks. As soon as I select ad-hoc as the type of network, WPA-PSK
    > authentication gets changed to WPA-None.
    >
    > What does WPA-None mean?
    >
    > Is this setup (authentication=WPA-None, encryption=TKIP) at all secure.
    >
    > The other thing I've read is that for a home-adhoc network, WEP encryption
    > with OPEN authentication is "OK", meaning not great but better than

    nothing,

    Jack, Feb 9, 2005

  3. ok - thanks,
    BUT what am I losing going from WPA-PSK to WPA-None for authentication when
    I change from infrastructure to adhoc?

    and is WPA-None/TPIK better than OPEN/WEP for an adhoc network?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9kQg==?=, Feb 9, 2005
  4. any security over just WEP is good.

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 9, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9kQg==?=

    Niklas Guest

    WPA-AES using a radius server is better security since you then don't use a
    pre shared key.
    But for most home users, setting up a radius server is not an option.
    WPA-PSK with a pre shared key more than ~20 characters should be more secure
    than WEP.
    preferebly using AES.
    With WPA in infrastructure mode, the AP will provide you the key to
    encrypt/decrypt data, you can also on most AP set the timout interval when
    to renew the key.
    With WPA-None, there is no 802.1x authenction, the key used to encrypt /
    decrypt is just a hash of the SSID and the password.
    To me using WPA-None / TKIP isn't much better than WEP. (since both
    encrypt/decrypt using RC4 and the key is static)
    Using WPA-None and AES should increase the security but still the key is
    static.

    well that's my two cents

    regards
    Niklas