Best SD card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by al, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. al

    al Guest

    I've seen a few reviews (though hard to get up to date ones!) of SD cards
    online, and ATP's 1GB and 2GB SD cards seem to come out well in overall
    performance compared to SanDisk and Lexar. I think I'm going to stick with
    1GB for the moment and the only place I can find selling it here in the UK
    is "Mobilefun" who are selling it for just under £50:

    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3980.htm

    This seems cheap compared to other 1GB fast SD cards (it's 60x). I'm
    getting it for use in a Canon S2 IS camera. A couple of questions:

    1) Is there any point in getting any quicker than 60x for such a camera? I
    know some high end dSLR's can chuck data at a memory card faster than you
    can shake a stick (well .. faster than that too ...), but it is overkill to
    go any higher for me?

    2) Should I be looking at any other SD cards of the high speed variety?

    al
    al, Aug 23, 2005

  2. al

    Pete D Guest

    Ridata make 2Gig in 150X, worth a look.

    www.powerinnumbers.com.au

    Pete D, Aug 24, 2005

  3. al

    Tom S Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message news:_uVOe.8768$...
    > Ridata make 2Gig in 150X, worth a look.
    >
    > www.powerinnumbers.com.au
    >

    > "al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I've seen a few reviews (though hard to get up to date ones!) of SD cards
    > > online, and ATP's 1GB and 2GB SD cards seem to come out well in overall
    > > performance compared to SanDisk and Lexar. I think I'm going to stick
    > > with 1GB for the moment and the only place I can find selling it here in
    > > the UK is "Mobilefun" who are selling it for just under £50:
    > >
    > > http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3980.htm
    > >
    > > This seems cheap compared to other 1GB fast SD cards (it's 60x). I'm
    > > getting it for use in a Canon S2 IS camera. A couple of questions:
    > >
    > > 1) Is there any point in getting any quicker than 60x for such a camera?

    Absolutely not. The most the S2 can throw at an SD card is
    in burst mode, which comes out to somewhere around 6MB/s
    (40x). 60x is more than enough to handle it, even including
    controller and file overhead.
    Tom S, Aug 24, 2005
  4. al

    Pete D Guest

    "Tom S" <> wrote in message
    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> Ridata make 2Gig in 150X, worth a look.
    >>
    >> www.powerinnumbers.com.au
    >>

    >> "al" <[ask_me_first]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > I've seen a few reviews (though hard to get up to date ones!) of SD
    >> > cards
    >> > online, and ATP's 1GB and 2GB SD cards seem to come out well in overall
    >> > performance compared to SanDisk and Lexar. I think I'm going to stick
    >> > with 1GB for the moment and the only place I can find selling it here
    >> > in
    >> > the UK is "Mobilefun" who are selling it for just under £50:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3980.htm
    >> >
    >> > This seems cheap compared to other 1GB fast SD cards (it's 60x). I'm
    >> > getting it for use in a Canon S2 IS camera. A couple of questions:
    >> >
    >> > 1) Is there any point in getting any quicker than 60x for such a
    >> > camera?

    > Absolutely not. The most the S2 can throw at an SD card is
    > in burst mode, which comes out to somewhere around 6MB/s
    > (40x). 60x is more than enough to handle it, even including
    > controller and file overhead.

    Still a good price though.
    Pete D, Aug 24, 2005
  5. al

    Guest

    A Warning: Do not trust mobilefun.co.uk.
    I do not know how they operate in England, but my experience purchasing
    from abroad (Italy) showed they are not deserving any confidence.
    Firstly, they (two times!) accepted my online payment with my Credit
    Card, and then wrote me in the Aknowledgement of the order they require
    instead a Bank transfer (so they saved commissions to my expenses!)
    Then, following to my having transferred them money in excess, instead
    of returning me the remaining sum as they promised on the phone (10 GBP
    over a 50 GBP purchase) they changed the price of the goods in the
    Invoice, making it 10 GBP higher, so that the excess money disappeared
    in their pockets.
    They cannot be trusted, therefore!
    , Aug 24, 2005
  6. al

    al Guest

    "Tom S" <> wrote in message
    >> > 1) Is there any point in getting any quicker than 60x for such a
    >> > camera?

    > Absolutely not. The most the S2 can throw at an SD card is
    > in burst mode, which comes out to somewhere around 6MB/s
    > (40x). 60x is more than enough to handle it, even including
    > controller and file overhead.

    Good, that's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation!

    al, Aug 24, 2005
  7. al

    al Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    >> Absolutely not. The most the S2 can throw at an SD card is
    >> in burst mode, which comes out to somewhere around 6MB/s
    >> (40x). 60x is more than enough to handle it, even including
    >> controller and file overhead.

    > Still a good price though.

    Well, to quote them:

    Pricing
    Was £139.95
    NOW ONLY £49.95
    £42.51 ex. VAT

    Considering you can get the 2GB one for less than that, I doubt they've ever
    sold the 1GB for that much!! But anyway, for a fast 1GB card that seems to
    hold its own in comparative tests and is also waterproof and climate proof,
    it seems like a good deal.

    al, Aug 24, 2005
  8. al

    al Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >A Warning: Do not trust mobilefun.co.uk.
    > I do not know how they operate in England, but my experience purchasing
    > from abroad (Italy) showed they are not deserving any confidence.
    > Firstly, they (two times!) accepted my online payment with my Credit
    > Card, and then wrote me in the Aknowledgement of the order they require
    > instead a Bank transfer (so they saved commissions to my expenses!)
    > Then, following to my having transferred them money in excess, instead
    > of returning me the remaining sum as they promised on the phone (10 GBP
    > over a 50 GBP purchase) they changed the price of the goods in the
    > Invoice, making it 10 GBP higher, so that the excess money disappeared
    > in their pockets.
    > They cannot be trusted, therefore!

    Doesn't sound good! Too late now though, I ordered last night.
    Interestingly, they sent me an SMS as well as an email confirming that it
    had been dispatched today! Fingers crossed all goes well. They've already
    charged it to my card - I know this, because the bank rang me this morning
    to check for fraudulent use. I'd used it 3 times over the net within a
    couple of hours, once from a French site (Pixmania), so they figured it
    could be dodgy. Thankfully just my transactions showing up!

    al, Aug 24, 2005
  9. al

    al Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >A Warning: Do not trust mobilefun.co.uk.

    Just to let you know - the SD card arrived as promised this morning, so so
    far so good! Haven't had a chance to test it yet, as the camera hasn't
    arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow in time for the bank holiday weekend!).

    al
    al, Aug 25, 2005