    would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA masters
    program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically bet
    starting as a freshman (*sigh).
    Bruce Valentine, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Yeah I'm leaning towards that way. I want a high quality education, so I'd
    be willing to invest the extra years needed. And yes, it does feel darn good
    to be a civilian again heh. I've already grown my hair long

    > Well just my .10 but I would go for the 4 year accredited university

    degree.

    Bruce Valentine, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Bruce Valentine

    splatter Guest

    "Bruce Valentine" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah I'm leaning towards that way. I want a high quality education, so I'd
    > be willing to invest the extra years needed. And yes, it does feel darn

    good
    > to be a civilian again heh. I've already grown my hair long

    I think that's best. Especially if you want to go into graduate level
    studies, I don't think its wise to start with ITT tech, because it will
    limit were you can go later.

    I did the same thing until it was time to graduate and get a job. Had to cut
    the hair after four years of college, because I couldn't get a job. As soon
    as I cut it I got an offer my next interview. Go figure. Good luck!!

    DP
    splatter, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Bruce Valentine

    Guest

    ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
    Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
    program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
    fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
    fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.

    Dean Palladino wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

    program? Or
    > > would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

    masters
    > > program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

    bet
    > > starting as a freshman (*sigh).
    > >

    > First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

    degree;
    > even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
    > benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
    > services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

    > recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
    > there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
    > throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

    > invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
    > control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

    finances.
    , Jan 25, 2005
  5. Bruce Valentine

    winged Guest

    wrote:
    > ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
    > Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
    > program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
    > fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
    > fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.
    >
    > Dean Palladino wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

    > program? Or
    >
    >>>would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

    > masters
    >
    >>>program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

    > bet
    >
    >>>starting as a freshman (*sigh).
    >>>

    >>First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

    > degree;
    >
    >>even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
    >>benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
    >>services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

    >>recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
    >>there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
    >>throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

    >>invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
    >>control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

    > finances.

    Creditation is everything.

    Not really sure of your goal however. IT is a weird field and only
    nominally follows the typical "degree" path. My exp indicates various
    certifications are more important to many facets within the field. For
    example having a GIAC/Security Plus a CCNA and your MSCE certification
    can mean as much to an employer as that 4 yr IT computer degree (depends
    on what you are trying to get into). Additionally good companies doing
    IT will often assist and supplement employees to get additional
    certifications in various technologies. I have found training in new
    technologies never ending. Because the technologies change rapidly
    various certifications must also be kept current. I do not degrade the
    value of the computer management degree the principles learned are very
    important, but the various certifications are just as important to most
    employers. If one is wanting to get into the computer security aspect
    of IT you might be better served focusing on your CCNA and get your MSCE
    and Unix certifications along with a GIAC.

    I can't say anything against the ITT path. I have never known
    personally anyone within the circles I play that has entered the
    security field successfully in that specific manner. That said, most of
    the security professionals I have dealt with have a multitude of paths
    that lead them to the profession. Some have IT degrees, others have
    come through the certification path, some are electrical engineers,
    others come up through the SA and programmer chains. All must
    continually be willing to study and learn. Most of what I have learned
    has been self taught, I came through the engineering chain, the
    classrooms and certifications have been incidental. CS/CM degrees are
    valuable assets, but are very much just a toehold in a constantly
    changing field.

    There will always need to be whitehats so long as blackhats exist. After
    reading this, I have decided I don't know enough to advise you. It sure
    would have been nice to learned it in two years....

    Winged
    winged, Jan 25, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > ITT tech does offer a Bachelors degree in Information security.
    > Information security does seem a a bit specialized for a bachelors
    > program. Usually they are offered in a Masters program. Although I was
    > fairly impressed by the course descriptions. In any case I would be
    > fairly skeptical of a uncaredited instition.
    >
    > Dean Palladino wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >> > Anybody have any opinions about ITT Tech's information security

    > program? Or
    >> > would it be better to invest even more years in a university's IA

    > masters
    >> > program? I'm already 25..just got out of military...would basically

    > bet
    >> > starting as a freshman (*sigh).
    >> >

    >> First, ITT Tech is a quick and expensive way to get a two year

    > degree;
    >> even then, it might not be counted as a two year degree. One of the
    >> benefits of going through a trade school is they provide placement
    >> services and that is their real power. A four year school may have a

    >> recruiting seminar, but that means the entire student body will be
    >> there. At ITT, you have a limited number of students that are known
    >> throughout the campus. Basically, it is the amount of money you want

    >> invest in your education. Whatever decision you make, you need to
    >> control the outcome: put 110% in the decision, and watch your

    > finances.

    For my 2 cents I would recommend a Computer Science degree. Computer Science
    will give you a very deep understanding about computers and the algorithms
    the run on them. These are the types of things that you will not learn via
    a IS/IT type degree. After, graduating get some certifications in the
    specific fields you wish to work in...

    Just my thoughts,
    Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Bruce Valentine

    Guest

    I was talking to someone today who is going through ITT's security
    bachelors program. He told me that the cirriculum was very
    disappointing.

    They just skimmed over intrusion detection. There was no equipment to
    practice on in their labs for IDS. The Linux security class was just
    Linux basics class using Redhat.

    So in summary ITT seems to another diploma mill to be avoided.
    , Feb 17, 2005