    My lens line-up if it matters. EF 50 1.8, EF-S 18-55, EF 28-135 IS, EF
    70-200 F4L.

    Suggestions very much appreciated.
    MichiganMan, Jan 29, 2005

  2. MichiganMan

    Pete D Guest

    Have a look at the Sigma flashes, very good units for the money.

    Pete D, Jan 29, 2005

  3. MichiganMan

    ECM Guest

    MichiganMan wrote:
    > I've been reading and enjoying this group for some time now. I've

    recently
    > purchased the Canon 300D and am very happy with the camera.
    >
    > My biggest problem is shooting inside in low light conditions. Any
    > suggestions on a "reasonably priced" external flash for inside, low

    light
    > conditions?
    >
    > My lens line-up if it matters. EF 50 1.8, EF-S 18-55, EF 28-135 IS,

    EF
    > 70-200 F4L.
    >
    > Suggestions very much appreciated.

    Well, how much you got? Also, what are you going to shoot? I doubt
    you'll use that 70-200mm indoors much. Probably that 18-55, mostly.

    There are several less expensive E-TTL flashes available - the Metz
    28AF-3C and 44 AF-4, the Canon 220EX and 420EX Speedlites, and the
    Promaster 5500, 5700, and 7500 would all be compatible. I'd just get
    the Canon 420EX and be done with it; it's not fancy but it allows you
    to bounce and it's only US$180 - a steal for a brand-name flash. If the
    budget is tight, the 220EX was specifically designed for the D300 and
    it's US$115 at B&H.

    If you're REALLY tight for cash, then a manual flash, or "digital
    slave" might be in order.... but TTL is really the way to go.

    ECM
    ECM, Jan 29, 2005
  4. MichiganMan

    MichiganMan Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:34:25 -0500, ECM wrote
    (in message <>):

    > Well, how much you got? Also, what are you going to shoot? I doubt
    > you'll use that 70-200mm indoors much. Probably that 18-55, mostly.
    >
    > There are several less expensive E-TTL flashes available - the Metz
    > 28AF-3C and 44 AF-4, the Canon 220EX and 420EX Speedlites, and the
    > Promaster 5500, 5700, and 7500 would all be compatible. I'd just get
    > the Canon 420EX and be done with it; it's not fancy but it allows you
    > to bounce and it's only US$180 - a steal for a brand-name flash. If the
    > budget is tight, the 220EX was specifically designed for the D300 and
    > it's US$115 at B&H.
    >
    > If you're REALLY tight for cash, then a manual flash, or "digital
    > slave" might be in order.... but TTL is really the way to go.
    >
    > ECM

    I can afford the Canon 420EX. I just didn't want to spend a fortune on a
    flash. I'll be shooting the wife and kids, family pets and candids of
    unsuspecting guests. <G>

    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

    MM
    MichiganMan, Jan 31, 2005
  5. MichiganMan

    MichiganMan Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:11:20 -0500, MichiganMan wrote
    (in message <>):

    Appreciate the responses here and via e-mail. I'm looking at the Canon 420EX.
    MichiganMan, Jan 31, 2005