    using ImTOO DVD Ripper and DviX.

    Any help would be great.

    , Apr 7, 2006

  2. ByTor Guest

    In article <>,
    , says...
    > Best Quality DVD to DviX or Xvid Conversions
    >
    > Hi Can someone tell me which codec is going to give me the best viewing
    > quality when I convert my DVD's to DviX or Xvid as at the moment
    > I've started to convert my copy of Friends to DviX using ImTOO DVD
    > Ripper Platinum 4 and they seam block on my LG L1740PQ TFT. Would I be
    > better off using Xvid, Flask or DviX Create.
    >
    > Im looking for image quality and don't mind if it takes a bit more
    > space on my HD to get it. At the moment 30mins comes out to 260-290megs
    > using ImTOO DVD Ripper and DviX.
    >
    > Any help would be great.

    AutoGK............Better of with Xvid in my opinion.
    The Tobes of Hades, lit by flickering torchlight
    The netherworld is gathered in the glare
    Prince By-Tor takes the cavern to the north light
    The sign of Eth is rising in the air.
    By-Tor, knight of darkness,
    Centurion of evil, devil's prince.

    ByTor, Apr 7, 2006

  3. RS Guest

    wrote:
    > Best Quality DVD to DviX or Xvid Conversions
    >
    > Hi Can someone tell me which codec is going to give me the best viewing
    > quality when I convert my DVD's to DviX or Xvid as at the moment
    > I've started to convert my copy of Friends to DviX using ImTOO DVD
    > Ripper Platinum 4 and they seam block on my LG L1740PQ TFT. Would I be
    > better off using Xvid, Flask or DviX Create.
    >
    > Im looking for image quality and don't mind if it takes a bit more
    > space on my HD to get it. At the moment 30mins comes out to 260-290megs
    > using ImTOO DVD Ripper and DviX.
    >
    > Any help would be great.

    DIVX and Xvid are the codecs, the rest of the software is just tools
    that use the codec in one way or another.

    GordianKnot or AutoGordian Knot for Divx or Xvid encodes has worked
    quite well for me. Your still going to get about 200Meg+ for 30 min if
    you want a high quality encode. You can save some space by cranking the
    sound down to Mp3 quality.

    There are good tutorials for GordianKnot explaining how to tweak the
    settings for your own preferred results.

    RS, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Randy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Best Quality DVD to DviX or Xvid Conversions
    >
    > Hi Can someone tell me which codec is going to give me the best viewing
    > quality when I convert my DVD's to DviX or Xvid as at the moment
    > I've started to convert my copy of Friends to DviX using ImTOO DVD
    > Ripper Platinum 4 and they seam block on my LG L1740PQ TFT. Would I be
    > better off using Xvid, Flask or DviX Create.
    >
    > Im looking for image quality and don't mind if it takes a bit more
    > space on my HD to get it. At the moment 30mins comes out to 260-290megs
    > using ImTOO DVD Ripper and DviX.
    >
    > Any help would be great.

    GK and AGK are both excellent but I believe (I may be wrong) they will
    convert your audio to stereo (2 channel).
    I you want to maintain the 5.1 sound you might want to consider Avi.net or
    SimpleDivx. Both are free and will convert to Divx, Xvid and H264.

    Good luck.

    Randy, Apr 8, 2006
  5. franky Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Best Quality DVD to DviX or Xvid Conversions
    >>
    >> Hi Can someone tell me which codec is going to give me the best viewing
    >> quality when I convert my DVD's to DviX or Xvid as at the moment
    >> I've started to convert my copy of Friends to DviX using ImTOO DVD
    >> Ripper Platinum 4 and they seam block on my LG L1740PQ TFT. Would I be
    >> better off using Xvid, Flask or DviX Create.
    >>
    >> Im looking for image quality and don't mind if it takes a bit more
    >> space on my HD to get it. At the moment 30mins comes out to 260-290megs
    >> using ImTOO DVD Ripper and DviX.
    >>
    >> Any help would be great.
    >>

    > GK and AGK are both excellent but I believe (I may be wrong) they will
    > convert your audio to stereo (2 channel).
    > I you want to maintain the 5.1 sound you might want to consider Avi.net or
    > SimpleDivx. Both are free and will convert to Divx, Xvid and H264.

    agk has the option to leave the audio in ac3 format

    franky, Apr 8, 2006
  6. Chrisjoy Guest

    >agk has the option to leave the audio in ac3 format

    And if I want to keep AC3 soundtrack and encode picture
    using H.264 and get picture part of avi to be about 1/2 half
    of the original, what are my choices?

    Chrisjoy, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Randy Guest

    "Chrisjoy" <> wrote in message
    > >agk has the option to leave the audio in ac3 format

    > And if I want to keep AC3 soundtrack and encode picture
    > using H.264 and get picture part of avi to be about 1/2 half
    > of the original, what are my choices?

    Then you would want to use SimpleDivx.

    Randy, Apr 8, 2006
  8. Bob Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 08:14:44 -0600, "Randy"
    <> wrote:

    >> And if I want to keep AC3 soundtrack and encode picture
    >> using H.264 and get picture part of avi to be about 1/2 half
    >> of the original, what are my choices?

    >Then you would want to use SimpleDivx.

    AGK preserves subtitles after a fashion. What other XviD converters do
    that?

    --

    "A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
    It keeps him upright."

    Bob, Apr 8, 2006
  9. Bob Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 14:25:38 -0700, wrote:

    >Best Quality DVD to DviX or Xvid Conversions

    Auto Gordian Knot.

    Do XviD conversion. The ILO DVDR05MU1 with ver 6.10 firmware will play
    XviDs but not DivX. The author of AGK recommends XviD.

    Bob, Apr 8, 2006
  10. Guest

    , Apr 9, 2006
  11. NoNoBadDog! Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I 'm using yasa dvd ripper. It can rip dvd to divx without any problem.
    > http://www.yasasoft.com/

    Why not go with the DivX encoder, available from www.divx.com? Why go with
    a third party app? The DivX encoder has much more flexibility, better
    quality, and is less expensive; since it is from the originator of DivX, it
    will guarantee compatibility with DivX hardware, something many, if not
    most, third party programs cannot offer.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Apr 9, 2006
  12. Bob Guest

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:20:54 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!" <>
    wrote:

    >Why not go with the DivX encoder, available from www.divx.com? Why go with
    >a third party app? The DivX encoder has much more flexibility, better
    >quality, and is less expensive; since it is from the originator of DivX, it
    >will guarantee compatibility with DivX hardware, something many, if not
    >most, third party programs cannot offer.

    My ILO DVDR05MU1 with Ver. 6.10 firmware will play AVIs encoded with
    XviD. It won't play DivX encoded AVIs. I suspect the reason is because
    XviD is free and DivX is not.

    Most bit torrents are XviD encoded. When not, I use Auto Gordian Knot
    to convert DivX to Xvid. I use the same file size as the original and
    do 2 passes. The quality is actually better with XviD.

    Bob, Apr 9, 2006