Best Printer To Buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Heidi Manway, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Heidi Manway

    Heidi Manway Guest

    Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
    I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
    independent.
    Canon seems to be the preferred brand, I have heard stories about
    Canon Printer Technical Support been very bad and its expensive too
    calling Premium Rate telephone lines.(Amazon.com customer reviews)

    As for Consumables ink cartridge running costs none of these are
    "chipped" like Epson Printers?

    Which Printer of the following is the newest most recent to hit the
    High Street?

    One Sales rep suggested I go with Canon Pixma IP6700D
    Price: £150
    Score: 68% What does everyone here think from personal experiences if
    any?

    Thanks,

    Heidi

    (1) Printers review
    Canon Pixma iP4200
    Price: £70 UK sterling
    Score: 73%

    BEST BUY
    The Canon Pimxa iP4200 is a great all round printer producing
    fantastic quality plain text documents as well as photographs and
    graphics. It prints quickly and quietly, and we found it easy to set
    up and use.

    Plain text documents from this machine were described as 'very sharp
    and clean' by our testers, and they didn't take long to print either -
    just 38 seconds for a five page letter. Start up times were also
    really impressive for this model it took only 14 seconds from turning
    on to print one page of plain text on A4 paper.

    The quality of photographs produced from this device were great
    although speeds were only average - it took 172 seconds to print one
    side of A4. Likewise desk top publishing printouts were good and we'd
    recommend this machine if you frequently print newsletters and
    birthday cards.

    This model is PictBridge enabled, so you can connect your PictBridge
    enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a special USB
    cable and print photos without having to turn your computer on.

    There's also a second paper tray, which you could choose to load with
    photo paper, so you don't have to keep switching the paper over.
    However, there aren't any memory card slots.

    When it comes to running costs you won't be disappointed as this Best
    Buy Canon is cheap as chips for consumption costs.

    Pros: Good quality printouts. Low running costs. Second paper tray.

    Cons: Doesn't accept memory cards
    (2) Printers review
    Canon Pixma IP5200
    Price: £127
    Score: 77%

    BEST BUY
    This Best Buy inkjet from Canon is a great all rounder printer - it
    produces really good quality printouts in all our tests, and speeds
    were also impressive. It's really easy to use and versatile too.

    Standard black and white printouts hit the spot with our testers who
    described them as 'very sharp and clean'. This printer wasn't let down
    by speed either, managing to produce five pages of A4 in a mere 36
    seconds.

    Photo printing was also very good although we noticed that skin tones
    tended to look a little red, however, we don't think you'd notice this
    if weren't comparing them with other photos. Speed was also impressive
    - it only took 94 seconds to print one A4 photograph - which is one of
    the quickest times we've seen.

    Our testers were particularly impressed with the way this model
    handled documents produced in desk top publishing packages. It took
    only 135 seconds to print one side of A4 containing graphs, photos and
    colour text, but the quality wasn't compromised at all. Our testers
    described it as an 'excellent performance' with 'excellent photos'.

    This model is PictBridge enabled, so you can connect your PictBridge
    enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a special USB
    cable and print photos without having to turn your computer on.
    However, there aren't any memory card slots.

    Pros: Good quality printouts in all tests. Quick. PictBridge enabled.
    (3) Printers review
    Canon Pixma IP5200R
    Price: £127
    Score: 77%

    BEST BUY
    This Best Buy inkjet from Canon is a great all rounder printer - it
    produces really good quality printouts in all our tests, and speeds
    were also impressive. It's really easy to use and very versatile.

    Standard black and white printouts hit the spot with our testers who
    described them as 'very sharp and clean'. This printer wasn't let down
    by speed either, managing to produce five pages of A4 in a mere 36
    seconds.

    Photo printing was also very good although we noticed that skin tones
    tended to look a little red, however, we don't think you'd notice this
    if you viewed the pictures in isolation. Speed was very impressive
    here it only took 94 seconds to print one A4 photograph - which is one
    of the quickest inkjet times we've seen.

    One of the most exciting things about this machine is that it's
    designed to work with a wireless network. So if you've got several
    computers on a wireless network at home they can all be easily
    connected to this machine so you can print without cables.

    This model is PictBridge enabled, which means you can connect your
    PictBridge enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a
    special USB cable and print photos without having to turn your
    computer on. However, there aren't any memory card slots.

    Pros: Good quality printouts in all tests. Quick. PictBridge enabled.
    Great for wireless networks.

    Cons: No memory card slots.
    Cons: No memory card slots
    (4) Canon Pixma IP6600D
    Price: £120
    Score: 72%

    BEST BUY
    The Canon iP6600D is a great inkjet printer, particularly when it
    comes to producing good quality documents that combine both images and
    colour photographs. Text quality isn't the greatest but it's still
    adequate.

    When it comes to printing everyday documents such as letters this
    machine isn't brilliant: our testers noticed that there was some
    bleeding on the text. It was pretty speedy though; it took just 89
    seconds to print a five page document.

    This machine is primarily designed for printing photos, it has an LCD
    screen and accepts a good range of memory cards including: Compact
    Flash, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Smart Media, Memory Stick and
    xD card. This model also supports PictBridge, so you can print
    directly from your digital camera using a special type of USB cable
    without having to download your pictures to computer first.

    We were impressed with the quality of photos that this Canon produced,
    they were good although they missed out on the top score because our
    testers some of the pictures were a little orangey red, you probably
    wouldn't notice if you weren't comparing the photos with others
    though.

    This Canon produced some of the best results for printing documents
    produced in a desk top publishing package that we've seen. Out testers
    described the printouts as very strong, clear and crisp. So if you
    produce a newsletter for a local club this printer is certainly worth
    considering.

    Pros: Colour LCD screen. Prints directly from memory card. PictBridge
    enabled. Good quality desk top publishing documents.

    Cons: Slightly disappointing results when printing plain-text
    documents
    (5) Canon Pixma IP6700D
    Price: £150
    Score: 68%

    BEST BUY
    The Canon iP6700D is a great inkjet printer, particularly when it
    comes to producing good quality documents that combine both images and
    colour photographs.

    Text quality isn't the greatest but it's still adequate. When it comes
    to printing everyday documents such as letters this machine isn't
    brilliant: our testers noticed that there was some bleeding on the
    text.

    It was pretty speedy though; it took just 79 seconds to print a five
    page document. This is about ten seconds quicker than the older Canon
    Pixma iP6600D from the same range. This machine is primarily designed
    for printing photos, it has an LCD screen and accepts a good range of
    memory cards including: Compact Flash, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard,
    Smart Media, Memory Stick and xD card.

    It also supports PictBridge, so you can print directly from your
    digital camera using a special type of USB cable without having to
    download your pictures to computer first. There's also a handy photo
    index print option. We were impressed with the quality of photos that
    this Canon produced, they were good although they missed out on the
    top score because our testers found some of the pictures were a little
    orangey.

    This Canon produced some of the best results for printing documents
    produced in a desk top publishing package that we've seen. Out testers
    described the printouts as very punchy, clear and clean. So if you
    produce a newsletter for a local club this printer is certainly worth
    considering.

    Pros: Colour LCD screen. Prints directly from memory card. PictBridge
    enabled. Good quality desk top publishing documents

    Cons: Average results when printing plain-text documents.

    (6) Printers review
    Dell 3010cn
    Price: £392
    Score: 67%

    BEST BUY
    The Dell 3010cn colour laser printer really impressed our testers with
    high quality text and desk top publishing documents and reasonably
    lifelike photos.

    Plain text documents, such as letters, are of a very high quality and
    they don't take long to produce either - it took just 22 seconds to
    print a five page letter. Laser printers often take a while to warm up
    when printing the first page of a document but this Dell is reasonably
    quick at just 9 seconds.

    The quality of desk top publishing documents from this machine was
    good; our testers noted that the images were sharp although there was
    some visible dithering - the technical term that describes an
    imperfection where you can see patterns in the printing, which stops
    images from looking life-like.

    Running costs for laser printers are generally a lot lower than those
    for inkjet printers. The Dell 3010cn is no exception print costs were
    very low for plain text documents, and even for colour graphics
    documents.

    Pros: Very quick, low running costs, good colour documents.

    Cons: As with all laser printers we don't recommend you use this
    machine to print photos.

    Heidi Manway, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Heidi Manway

    ellis_jay Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:
    > Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    > trying to research it first > Thanks,
    >
    > Heidi

    What will be its primary function? Obtuse? Well, I mean, what are you
    gonna use it for and what do you need it to do? I mean I got a HP all-in
    one 41 -somethng or- other and it works fine here at home for me and da
    family.............

    --

    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Heidi Manway

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:

    >Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    >trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

    The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local small business.
    Home printers are for making them money, not for saving you money.
    If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser printer.

    Shel-hed, Feb 17, 2007
  4. Heidi Manway

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:38:11 GMT, Shel-hed <>
    wrote:

    >On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    >>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

    >The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local small business.
    >Home printers are for making them money, not for saving you money.
    >If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser printer.

    I had to produce a set of end of year reports for a management
    committee. 40 copies of about 20 pages. It was cheaper to buy a £200
    epson printer and a couple of reams of quality paper and binders than
    put the job out to a commercial printer. And we still had the printer
    afterwards.

    Alfred, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Heidi Manway

    SgtMinor Guest

    Heidi Manway wrote:
> [...]
    > print a five page letter. Laser printers often take a while to warm up
    > when printing the first page of a document but this Dell is reasonably
    > quick at just 9 seconds.
    >
    > The quality of desk top publishing documents from this machine was
    > good; our testers noted that the images were sharp although there was
    > some visible dithering - the technical term that describes an
    > imperfection where you can see patterns in the printing, which stops
    > images from looking life-like.
    >
    > Running costs for laser printers are generally a lot lower than those
    > for inkjet printers. The Dell 3010cn is no exception print costs were
    > very low for plain text documents, and even for colour graphics
    > documents.
    >
    > Pros: Very quick, low running costs, good colour documents.
    >
    > Cons: As with all laser printers we don't recommend you use this

    I've been very happy with Canon printers. I don't print a lot of
    photographs but those I have printed have looked very good. My main
    reason for buying Canon has been that the print head is a printer
    component, and not part of the cartridge. As a result, replacement
    cartridges for my IP6000d are dirt cheap - less than a dollar apiece.

    SgtMinor, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Heidi Manway

    Bob B Guest

    Always buy epson printers...I have used them for years and you can buy
    compatible cartridges chipped or unchipped almost anywhere for a very low
    cost!!

    BB

    Bob B, Feb 17, 2007
  7. Heidi Manway

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Alfred wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:38:11 GMT, Shel-hed <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    >>> trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

    >> The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local
    >> small business. Home printers are for making them money, not for
    >> saving you money.
    >> If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser
    >> printer.

    > I had to produce a set of end of year reports for a management
    > committee. 40 copies of about 20 pages. It was cheaper to buy a £200
    > epson printer and a couple of reams of quality paper and binders than
    > put the job out to a commercial printer. And we still had the printer
    > afterwards.

    That's a fact. The price book where I work is 64 pages, double-sided,
    collated, three hole punch, and stapled. I run as many as 400 copies at a
    time, and it's cheaper to use our in-house printer than paying the local
    commercial companies, even factoring in my time as well as the printer
    expenses. ('Course, if they paid me more, that might change <g>!)

    WhzzKdd, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Heidi Manway

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    >trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
    >I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
    >independent.

    Oh boy here we go again.

    From: "Heidi Manway" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Fax Machine Whats The Best Deal?
    Date: 30 Nov 2006 05:29:10 -0800

    "I am looking for a good quality fax machine for home use a
    multifunctional machine with Printer would be acceptable too which
    Brand and Model should I go for?"

    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Best Printer All Rounder For Home Use
    Date: 30 Nov 2006 05:38:21 -0800

    How many fucking times do you ask the same question??

    Jesus...

    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2007
  9. Heidi Manway

    Fred Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
    >>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
    >>I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
    >>independent.

    I bought a Canon IP 3000 a couple of years ago. Only printer I've ever had
    that hasn't driven me round the bend. It's brilliant in every way.

    Fred, Feb 18, 2007
  10. Heidi Manway

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:05:28 +1300, "Fred" <>
    wrote:

    >I bought a Canon IP 3000 a couple of years ago. Only printer I've ever had
    >that hasn't driven me round the bend. It's brilliant in every way.

    Umm.. That's good. Any reason you're responding to me, and improperly
    attributing the OP's text as myne?

    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2007