    $300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

    Thanks!

    BMW

    bmw, Mar 20, 2005

  2. bmw

    bob Guest

    bmw wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
    > about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
    > I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
    > $300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

    At $300 if you buy a camera made by a major company you will get what
    you're looking for; any of them will be suitable.

    Sony, Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Pentax, Olympus, Etc. Just go to a store and
    buy one that feels right.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 20, 2005

  3. bmw

    Guest

    Look on eBay. Someone who just had to have the latest thing always is
    selling a barely-used digicam - and at a rock-bottom price.

    See all our stuff at <a
    href="http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW">Internet Gun Show!</a>

    , Mar 20, 2005
  4. >I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
    >about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
    >I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
    >$300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

    Here are some things to keep in mind:

    1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
    won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
    pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
    decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
    decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.

    2. If you buy a cheap camera with a mediocre lens, nothing will ever
    look very good. So make sure you check out the review of the
    camera you want. (http://www.exc.com/photography has a small but
    growing set of user reviews. The NYT had a great article a few
    months ago. If you're in NY, B&H Photo will give you honest and
    helpful advice in person.)

    3. Forget about using the flash to get good pictures on any camera
    under $300.

    4. Don't forget to include the price of a memory card, extra battery,
    and carrying case in your budget.

    Hope this helps.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 20, 2005
  5. bmw

    howard Guest

    "Look on eBay. Someone who just had to have the latest thing always is
    selling a barely-used digicam - and at a rock-bottom price."
    Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
    READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
    on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may say
    "refurbished".
    If you figure in the shipping (usually inflated), it maybe cheaper to go to
    a B&M store, play with a few cameras to see what you like and do not like.
    At a B&M you generally have a 30 option to return it! Try that will an ebay
    vender.
    Staples for ONE will match any legitmate price and deduct 10% off the
    difference after the match from their price to the lowest one you bring in.
    I am a seller on ebay and I do well, so I do believe in the auction venue,
    just very leery of electronics sellers.

    howard, Mar 20, 2005
  6. bmw

    Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
    >READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
    >on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may say
    >"refurbished".

    I'm talking about something different. I'm talking about the
    digicam owner who - just having to buy himself the latest and best -
    now wants to sell off his "old" digicam, barely-used, for a fraction of
    retail.
    I've been there. When I bought the semipro digicam I should have
    bought to start with, my "old" (joke) one went on eBay very fast.
    Someone got a damn good deal - much better than I got on it originally
    at OfficeMax.

    See all our stuff at <a
    href="http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW">Internet Gun Show!</a>

    , Mar 21, 2005
  7. If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
    sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
    it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
    megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
    still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
    ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.

    The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
    it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
    case.

    Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
    DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
    autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.

    Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
    I'd try

    *Canon Powershot A95
    * Sony DSC-W1
    * Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)

    Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Mar 21, 2005
  8. Oh, dang. I knew I had forgot something.

    Also try

    *Canon S410
    *Canon S500
    *Fuji Finepix S550
    *Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (for LOTS of zoom, costs more though)

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Mar 21, 2005
  9. bmw

    measekite Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

    >>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
    >>about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
    >>I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
    >>$300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?
    >>

    >Here are some things to keep in mind:
    >

    >1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
    > won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
    > pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
    > decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
    > decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.

    How do you re-calculate for cropping?

    measekite, Mar 21, 2005
  10. bmw

    Guest

    howard (dot) wrote:

    > Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
    > READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
    > on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may

    say
    > "refurbished".

    eBay is usually a very bad idea for digital cameras, simply become
    there are so many legitimate vendors with very good prices on new, and
    guaranteed stuff. I.e. You could buy a Canon A75 from Office Max for
    $150, with free shipping. This is less than used ones sell for on eBay.
    Fortunately for the sellers, there are plenty of people that believe
    that eBay always provides the lowest prices, even though this is rarely
    the case.

    , Mar 21, 2005
  11. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:04 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
    <> wrote:

    >If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
    >sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
    >it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
    >megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
    >still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
    >ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.
    >
    >The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
    >it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
    >case.

    I second the Nikon 5400. I bought one in January from Butterfly
    photo.com (see Pricegrabber.com) for $440 to my door and just got the
    $200 check from Nikon. At under $250 this camera is a steal.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 21, 2005
  12. bmw

    bob Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > How do you re-calculate for cropping?

    Good software will do the calculations for you.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 21, 2005
  13. bmw

    Carol Elder Guest

    Hi:

    I just bought the Canon Powershot A95 for $269.00(including shipping) (I
    had a Kodak DX3600). I like the A95 because it had a lot of manual
    control and I could use AA batteries which I buy in bulk at Costco it is
    also a 5megapixel camera. I also got a memory card at Costco as well.
    I bought the camera on line at Amazon - signed up for their credit card
    which allowed me to save another $30.00.

    my 2 cents
    carol

    Carol Elder, Mar 21, 2005
  14. >>1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
    >> won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
    >> pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
    >> decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
    >> decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.
    >>

    >How do you re-calculate for cropping?

    I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the cropping factro of the
    camera? That's already been taken into account. Do you mean what
    happens if you want to crop the picture, for example, to enlarge only
    part of it? You have to make sure that the part you're going to
    enlarge have enough pixels to make for a good enlargement. For
    example, if you have a 6MPix camera, but you zoom in a bit, you end up
    with only 3Mpix, still enough for an 8x10.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 23, 2005