    If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would you
    install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer threats of any
    kind?

    NotGiven, Dec 19, 2005

  2. NotGiven

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Re: best practices: what's your typical software install for findingPC threats?

    NotGiven wrote:

    > If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would you
    > install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer threats of any
    > kind?

    Start here:

    (http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm)
    (http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html)
    (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm)
    (http://www.spywarewarrior.com/)

    Check out the links to various guru web sites. Most of this, of
    course, assumes that you are using some sort of MS OS.

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Dec 19, 2005

  3. NotGiven

    NotGiven Guest

    thanks

    NotGiven, Dec 20, 2005
  4. NotGiven

    Donnie Guest

    "NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    > If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would you
    > install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer threats of any
    > kind?

    ############################
    Let's start w/ what I wouldn't install. NORTON or any Symantec product.
    That eliminates the threat of software conflicts.
    I would install spybot S&D and that's about it.
    donnie.

    Donnie, Dec 20, 2005
  5. NotGiven

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Donnie" <> wrote in

    > "NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    >> If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would
    >> you install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer
    >> threats of any kind?
    >>

    > ############################
    > Let's start w/ what I wouldn't install. NORTON or any Symantec
    > product. That eliminates the threat of software conflicts.
    > I would install spybot S&D and that's about it.
    > donnie.

    Required minimum kit:

    hardware firewall (99% of home routers incorporate a halfway decent
    inbound firewall)

    software firewall (more for the outbound than inbound)

    anti-virus

    malware removers (for the stuff that does inevitably get through)

    Optional: long list

    *******

    Router: Any of the mainstream routers (linksys, d-link, etc.) is OK. I
    use a low-end D-link DI604 and it's just fine. Wireless would require
    more care in selection.

    Firewall: I happen to use **old** Kerio (because I'm a dinosaur and too
    lazy to experiment with learning new stuff) but I'd probably go for
    Outpost, Tiny or Look-n-Stop if I were starting fresh.

    AV: Kaspersky - geeky but still the champ (especially for "high-risk"
    downloading - can look inside most packing schemes).

    Malware removers: Used to use just Spybot and Adaware - have now added
    Microsoft antispyware (which should be good for a while until Microsoft
    ruins it).

    Optional: Processguard (highly recommended)

    Diagnostics: long list including Hijack This, sysinternals stuff
    (magnificent!), ethereal, etc.

    Regards,

    PS Incidentally, I use Firefox - you couldn't pay me enough to use IE
    (spit!) or Outlook (spit again!)

    nemo_outis, Dec 20, 2005
  6. NotGiven

    NotGiven Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in message
    > "Donnie" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    >>> If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would
    >>> you install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer
    >>> threats of any kind?
    >>>

    >> ############################
    >> Let's start w/ what I wouldn't install. NORTON or any Symantec
    >> product. That eliminates the threat of software conflicts.
    >> I would install spybot S&D and that's about it.
    >> donnie.

    > Required minimum kit:
    >
    > hardware firewall (99% of home routers incorporate a halfway decent
    > inbound firewall)
    >
    > software firewall (more for the outbound than inbound)
    >
    > anti-virus
    >
    > malware removers (for the stuff that does inevitably get through)
    >
    > Optional: long list
    >
    > *******
    >
    > Router: Any of the mainstream routers (linksys, d-link, etc.) is OK. I
    > use a low-end D-link DI604 and it's just fine. Wireless would require
    > more care in selection.
    >
    > Firewall: I happen to use **old** Kerio (because I'm a dinosaur and too
    > lazy to experiment with learning new stuff) but I'd probably go for
    > Outpost, Tiny or Look-n-Stop if I were starting fresh.
    >
    > AV: Kaspersky - geeky but still the champ (especially for "high-risk"
    > downloading - can look inside most packing schemes).
    >
    > Malware removers: Used to use just Spybot and Adaware - have now added
    > Microsoft antispyware (which should be good for a while until Microsoft
    > ruins it).
    >
    > Optional: Processguard (highly recommended)
    >
    > Diagnostics: long list including Hijack This, sysinternals stuff
    > (magnificent!), ethereal, etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > PS Incidentally, I use Firefox - you couldn't pay me enough to use IE
    > (spit!) or Outlook (spit again!)

    Very helpful - many thanks!

    NotGiven, Dec 20, 2005
  7. NotGiven

    Winged Guest

    Re: best practices: what's your typical software install for findingPC threats? (processguard)

    nemo_outis wrote:
    > "Donnie" <> wrote in
    >

    >>"NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would
    >>>you install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer
    >>>threats of any kind?
    >>>

    >>############################
    >>Let's start w/ what I wouldn't install. NORTON or any Symantec
    >>product. That eliminates the threat of software conflicts.
    >>I would install spybot S&D and that's about it.
    >>donnie.

    > Required minimum kit:
    >
    > hardware firewall (99% of home routers incorporate a halfway decent
    > inbound firewall)
    >
    > software firewall (more for the outbound than inbound)
    >
    > anti-virus
    >
    > malware removers (for the stuff that does inevitably get through)
    >
    > Optional: long list
    >
    > *******
    >
    > Router: Any of the mainstream routers (linksys, d-link, etc.) is OK. I
    > use a low-end D-link DI604 and it's just fine. Wireless would require
    > more care in selection.
    >
    > Firewall: I happen to use **old** Kerio (because I'm a dinosaur and too
    > lazy to experiment with learning new stuff) but I'd probably go for
    > Outpost, Tiny or Look-n-Stop if I were starting fresh.
    >
    > AV: Kaspersky - geeky but still the champ (especially for "high-risk"
    > downloading - can look inside most packing schemes).
    >
    > Malware removers: Used to use just Spybot and Adaware - have now added
    > Microsoft antispyware (which should be good for a while until Microsoft
    > ruins it).
    >
    > Optional: Processguard (highly recommended)
    >
    > Diagnostics: long list including Hijack This, sysinternals stuff
    > (magnificent!), ethereal, etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > PS Incidentally, I use Firefox - you couldn't pay me enough to use IE
    > (spit!) or Outlook (spit again!)

    Interesting comment on processguard. I am unfamiliar with application.

    The process blocking feature seems like installs and removals would be
    problematic especially with generic windows procs? Is this not an issue?

    Winged

    Winged, Dec 21, 2005
  8. "NotGiven" <> wrote in message
    > If you were starting over with what you know now, what software would you
    > install on a PC to deter computer threats and find computer threats of any
    > kind?

    The timing of your post couldn't have been better.
    I've got some ongoing issues with my computer and
    have decided to reformat sometime soon.
    Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to the other posters
    for the advice.

    Good Luck

    Riley The Dog, Dec 21, 2005
  9. NotGiven

    nemo_outis Guest

    Re: best practices: what's your typical software install for finding PC threats? (processguard)

    Winged <> wrote in

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >> "Donnie" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>"NotGiven" <> wrote in message

    >>>############################
    >>>Let's start w/ what I wouldn't install. NORTON or any Symantec
    >>>product. That eliminates the threat of software conflicts.
    >>>I would install spybot S&D and that's about it.
    >>>donnie.

    >> Required minimum kit:
    >>
    >> hardware firewall (99% of home routers incorporate a halfway decent
    >> inbound firewall)
    >>
    >> software firewall (more for the outbound than inbound)
    >>
    >> anti-virus
    >>
    >> malware removers (for the stuff that does inevitably get through)
    >>
    >> Optional: long list
    >>
    >> *******
    >>
    >> Router: Any of the mainstream routers (linksys, d-link, etc.) is OK.
    >> I use a low-end D-link DI604 and it's just fine. Wireless would
    >> require more care in selection.
    >>
    >> Firewall: I happen to use **old** Kerio (because I'm a dinosaur and
    >> too lazy to experiment with learning new stuff) but I'd probably go
    >> for Outpost, Tiny or Look-n-Stop if I were starting fresh.
    >>
    >> AV: Kaspersky - geeky but still the champ (especially for
    >> "high-risk" downloading - can look inside most packing schemes).
    >>
    >> Malware removers: Used to use just Spybot and Adaware - have now
    >> added Microsoft antispyware (which should be good for a while until
    >> Microsoft ruins it).
    >>
    >> Optional: Processguard (highly recommended)
    >>
    >> Diagnostics: long list including Hijack This, sysinternals stuff
    >> (magnificent!), ethereal, etc.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> PS Incidentally, I use Firefox - you couldn't pay me enough to use
    >> IE (spit!) or Outlook (spit again!)
    >>

    > Interesting comment on processguard. I am unfamiliar with
    > application.
    >
    > The process blocking feature seems like installs and removals would be
    > problematic especially with generic windows procs? Is this not an
    > issue?
    >
    > Winged

    No, I haven't had any troubles with that.

    I think of Processguard as the perfect complement to a rules-based
    firewall; it supplies the application-based rules at an excellent level
    of granularity and control in a fashion that's hard to circumvent since
    it runs at ring 0.

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Dec 21, 2005
  10. NotGiven

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi NotGiven - Please see my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy below in my
    Signature. It's explicitly designed to answer those specific questions.
    :)

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here: