Best Placement of Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pegleg, May 2, 2006.

  1. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    I have a LinkSys .11B wireless router and it is placed high in my office
    about 10 inches from the ceiling against one wall.

    With our laptops or my PDA our signal strength drops to less than 50%
    when we move only one room away. The signal is passing through two
    walls (wood frame/drywall construction).

    Is there a better placement for the router? Moving it to another room
    (I know a more central location in the house would be better) is not an
    option.

    TIA

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill
    Pegleg, May 2, 2006

  2. Hi

    If it is against a wall and you do not need coverage backward toward this
    wall replace the Antenna with a half directional panel Antenna, pointing to
    general direction of the needed coverage.

    If you do need omni directional coverage put the Antenna in the middle room.

    Consider replacing the 802.11b with 802.11g, you would get better coverage.

    Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Wireless Bridging: - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 2, 2006

  3. Pegleg

    Ted Guest

    "Pegleg" <> wrote in message
    >I have a LinkSys .11B wireless router and it is placed high in my office
    > about 10 inches from the ceiling against one wall.
    >
    > With our laptops or my PDA our signal strength drops to less than 50%
    > when we move only one room away. The signal is passing through two
    > walls (wood frame/drywall construction).
    >
    > Is there a better placement for the router? Moving it to another room
    > (I know a more central location in the house would be better) is not an
    > option.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pegleg
    > U.S. Navy Retired
    > Support Our Troops,
    > Question The Policy!
    >
    > All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    > freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    > Sir Winston Churchill

    Best placement would be to have both antennas at the same heights. If you
    have a dual antenna system, placing the plane of the antennas in the
    direction of the other router is slightly better.
    Ted
    Ted, May 2, 2006
  4. Pegleg

    Pegleg Guest

    On Tue, 2 May 2006 03:59:11 -0500, "Ted" <> wrote:

    >"Pegleg" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a LinkSys .11B wireless router and it is placed high in my office
    >> about 10 inches from the ceiling against one wall.
    >>
    >> With our laptops or my PDA our signal strength drops to less than 50%
    >> when we move only one room away. The signal is passing through two
    >> walls (wood frame/drywall construction).
    >>
    >> Is there a better placement for the router? Moving it to another room
    >> (I know a more central location in the house would be better) is not an
    >> option.

    >Best placement would be to have both antennas at the same heights. If you
    >have a dual antenna system, placing the plane of the antennas in the
    >direction of the other router is slightly better.
    >Ted

    What other router? As stated...

    >>I have a LinkSys .11B wireless router and it is placed high in my office
    >> about 10 inches from the ceiling against one wall.

    You've kinda lost me!

    Pegleg, May 2, 2006
  5. Pegleg

    Ted Guest

    > What other router? As stated...
    >
    >>>I have a LinkSys .11B wireless router and it is placed high in my office
    >>> about 10 inches from the ceiling against one wall.

    > You've kinda lost me!

    Guess I should of said in line with the other (receiving) antenna contained
    in your laptops/PDAs.
    Ted
    Ted, May 2, 2006