best place to share, find and obtain public domain pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sobriquet, Nov 8, 2012.

  1. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    Hi.

    What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
    create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
    instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
    online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

    I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit
    and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain
    pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.

    Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that
    it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when
    you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any
    particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used
    online, it can't even find a reference back to that
    publicdomainpictures.net site.

    Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or
    something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites
    (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and
    seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find
    the images they are looking for.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    sobriquet, Nov 8, 2012

  2. sobriquet

    Mayayana Guest

    NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.

    Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
    find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
    CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
    non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
    used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
    risk you should probably either buy rights outright
    or take the picture yourself.

    The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
    any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
    And when I checked a particular image it clearly
    said that it was free to use:

    http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=1586&picture=red-baubles

    On the other hand, you have to sign up with the
    site to access the images, and there's no telling
    what that might get you hooked into.

    The site is registered to Bobek Ltd in the UK. They
    seem legit., though they claim to be a web design
    company but have no portfolio to speak of. And the
    domain contacts listed in WHOIS are all in Czechoslovakia.

    Mayayana, Nov 8, 2012

  3. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:01:56 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-08 13:09:39 -0800, sobriquet <> said:
    >

    > > Hi.

    > > What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to

    > > create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for

    > > instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared

    > > online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

    > > I was exploring the site "http://www.publicdomainpictures.net" a bit

    > > and although they appear to have a large collection of public domain

    > > pictures, the site seems a bit dodgy.

    > > Also, I'm a bit mystified that on the one hand they claim that

    > > it's compulsory to mention a link to the picture on their site when

    > > you use it and share it again online, yet, when I try to find any

    > > particular picture of them using tineye.com to see where it's used

    > > online, it can't even find a reference back to that

    > > publicdomainpictures.net site.

    > > Of course one can also search for images with a CC license or

    > > something similar at picasaweb or flickr, but it seems those sites

    > > (flickr in particular) have a bit of an anti-sharing attitude and

    > > seem to do their best to make it hard for people to easily find

    > > the images they are looking for.

    > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    > If all you are looking for is a way a group of individuals can
    >
    > cooperate on a project or series of image files and then save back to
    >
    > the collaboratively shared online folder, the answer can lie in a
    >
    > "Cloud" service such as DropBox, PogoPlug, or Google's G-Drive.
    >
    > This is a way of keeping the original and altered image files together,
    >
    > where only the members of the sharing group have access. The creator of
    >
    > the shared folder controls who has access and can add new collaborators
    >
    > or deny access to past collaborators.
    >
    > The final product can be shared with the rest of the online world by
    >
    > providing non-sharing URLs to the folder or individual image files.
    >

    > Here is the DropBox help page on collaborative sharing:
    >
    > < https://www.dropbox.com/help/19/en >
    >

    > So I can create a "Shared" folder which contains one of my original, or
    >
    > one of your original image files and the two of us can work together to
    >
    > create different versions of the originals or add annotations to copies
    >
    > of any of the image files as part of our collaborative work.
    >

    > The URL of a DB "shared" folder is best dealt with via email.
    >

    > The beauty of using this method is, you don't have to deal with Flickr,
    >
    > or Picasaweb TOS.
    >

    > This is not the same as linking to one of your DropBox folders where
    >
    > all you are doing is providing a URL to a folder in your DB account
    >
    > where only you can add or delete files you wish to share. Several of
    >
    > the DB users in the photo-groups use this method of posting a simple
    >
    > gallery of image files where you can control the download criteria.

> [...]

    Well, I was thinking more of a kind of public domain library,
    similar to the kind of libraries that are provided by companies
    like shutterstock or corbis (except that they obviously don't
    subscribe to the idea of sharing images freely).
    Anyone should easily be able to access it (so preferably people should
    not even have to register in order to upload or download pictures,
    similar to how one can easily upload images to imgur.com).

    Images obtained in that public domain library (as well as
    photoshop/gimp compositions based on them) should also be
    free to share anywhere else (like on imgur.com).

    So the main feature I'm interested in, is having as large a
    library of freely usable images as possible (created in a
    kind of grass-roots / crowd-sourcing fashion), so it's easy
    to find source material for creating digital mash-ups. Of
    course the site should support things like tags to make images
    more easily retrievable as well as ratings, so people can
    easily find quality images based on keywords they enter.
    sobriquet, Nov 8, 2012
  4. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:15:57 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.
    >

    > Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
    >
    > find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
    >
    > CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
    >
    > non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
    >
    > used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
    >
    > risk you should probably either buy rights outright
    >
    > or take the picture yourself.
    >

    > The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
    >
    > any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
    >
    > And when I checked a particular image it clearly
    >
    > said that it was free to use:
    >

    > http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=1586&picture=red-baubles

    http://imgur.com/Ea90w

    Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
    their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.

    You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
    at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
    to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
    right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.

    If you click the name of the user that provided the picture, you get
    an overview of their uploads. For some users, it looks a bit dubious
    whether or not they are actually the one owning the rights to the
    images they have uploaded there.
    But in general that site very much approaches what I had in mind
    as a kind of large public domain stock photo/illustration library.

    sobriquet, Nov 8, 2012
  5. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:15:57 PM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > NASA pictures are free by law, which is nice.
    >

    > Other than that I've found it's very difficult to
    >
    > find no-strings images. Even when I've bought
    >
    > CDs they've come with weird licenses that specify
    >
    > non-commercial use, no more than 25 copies
    >
    > used, etc. If you want to use it in public without
    >
    > risk you should probably either buy rights outright
    >
    > or take the picture yourself.
    >

    > The site you found looks interesting. I didn't see
    >
    > any notice that you *have to* link back to them.
    >
    > And when I checked a particular image it clearly
    >
    > said that it was free to use:
    >

    > http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=1586&picture=red-baubles
    >

    > On the other hand, you have to sign up with the
    >
    > site to access the images, and there's no telling
    >
    > what that might get you hooked into.

    Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
    their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
    from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
    the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.

    http://imgur.com/gMDW9

    Previously, you could even submit a list of weblinks to images from the clipboard and then it would upload them straight from the source and
    you could create a neat album from it with thumbnails.
    You can still do that, but now they force you to enter the weblinks
    one by one. That kind of sucks, but you can't upload more than
    about 150 pics in one single album anyway.
    A solution for that is to use winhttrack or webreaper to download images
    based on a list of weblinks, and then you can still upload them all at
    once to imgur to easily create an album with those images.
    sobriquet, Nov 8, 2012
  6. sobriquet

    Mayayana Guest

    | http://imgur.com/Ea90w
    |
    | Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
    | their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.

    The front page says this:

    Royalty free stock photos. All pictures are free for commercial and personal
    use.
    Welcome to Public Domain Pictures
    Public Domain Pictures.net is a repository for free public domain images.
    You can download high quality photos or upload your own pictures. Raise
    money for charity, gain popularity and improve your photographic and graphic
    skills.

    If you intend to use an image you find here for commercial use, please be
    aware that some photos do require a model or property release. Pictures
    featuring products should be used with care.

    The pictures are free for you to use and you should feel good about doing
    so. If you enjoy your visit, please tell your friends about Public Domain
    Pictures.net.

    The picture I looked at said they would like a link but
    didn't say you have to.

    If there are terms somewhere that say otherwise I
    can't find them.

    | You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
    | at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
    | to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
    | right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.

    Yes, I tried that. I got a 55 KB JPG. :)
    In other words, the image on the page is
    a very low quality image, just barely good
    enough for website display.
    Mayayana, Nov 8, 2012
  7. sobriquet

    Mayayana Guest

    | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
    | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
    | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
    | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.

    So you can send me a link that sends me to
    a website that hosts a stolen image from a
    website for which you could have just sent me
    a link in the first place??

    I don't get it.
    Mayayana, Nov 8, 2012
  8. sobriquet

    nick c Guest

    On 11/8/2012 3:26 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-08 15:13:55 -0800, "Mayayana" <> said:
    >
    >> | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
    >> | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
    >> | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
    >> | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.
    >> |

    >> So you can send me a link that sends me to
    >> a website that hosts a stolen image from a
    >> website for which you could have just sent me
    >> a link in the first place??
    >>
    >> I don't get it.

    > Sobriquet likes free stuff, and stuff he can hijack. He believes that
    > everything should be free once it has had the slightest sniff of the
    > internet.
    > He believes copyrighted images, original work, movies, software and
    > service TOS's are an interference to his thievery.

    Must be a Democrat. :)
    nick c, Nov 9, 2012
  9. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Thursday, November 8, 2012 11:43:26 PM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
> [...]

    > > So the main feature I'm interested in, is having as large a

    > > library of freely usable images as possible (created in a

    > > kind of grass-roots / crowd-sourcing fashion), so it's easy

    > > to find source material for creating digital mash-ups. Of

    > > course the site should support things like tags to make images

    > > more easily retrievable as well as ratings, so people can

    > > easily find quality images based on keywords they enter.

    > OK! I should have guessed where you were coming from and what you were
    >
    > trying for. I was thinking of something completely different. So it
    >
    > looks like you are going to have to deal with the various TOS's and
    >
    > work within the rules of the source site for those images you work on.
    >

    > Just remember you are using their original property in your derivative
    >
    > work, and they should get acknowledgement if it is a requirement for

    That just depends on the website you use and their agreement with
    their users who collectively share their images in order to create
    a large shared library of material.
    For the publicdomainpictures.net website, their sole requirement
    for re-sharing online is a reference to the source, but I think
    I'd prefer a site where this is optional rather than mandatory.

    So when you are just screwing around a bit in photoshop and share
    the result back online as a digital doodle, I think it's not such
    a big deal to ensure you reference back to each and every source
    image you've used.
    But if you create a more serious artwork that you've been working
    on for some time, it might be courteous to acknowledge where you
    obtained the source images that were used.

    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  10. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:12:56 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via
    >
    > | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly
    >
    > | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below
    >
    > | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.
    >

    > So you can send me a link that sends me to
    >
    > a website that hosts a stolen image from a
    >
    > website for which you could have just sent me
    >
    > a link in the first place??
    >

    > I don't get it.

    Well, the site that hosts the original image might suck (like having
    a shitty background or annoying ads), so that's one reason I can think
    of to link to a version at imgur instead.

    But that feature really comes in handy when presenting a number of
    images from various sites, so you can get them all together
    in an album for a convenient visual comparison.
    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  11. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:09:22 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | http://imgur.com/Ea90w
    >

    > | Here I've marked where they say you have to mention a link back to
    >
    > | their site when you want to share the image elsewhere online.
    >

    > The front page says this:

    > Royalty free stock photos. All pictures are free for commercial and personal
    >
    > use.
    >
    > Welcome to Public Domain Pictures
    >
    > Public Domain Pictures.net is a repository for free public domain images.
    >
    > You can download high quality photos or upload your own pictures. Raise
    >
    > money for charity, gain popularity and improve your photographic and graphic
    >
    > skills.
    >

    > If you intend to use an image you find here for commercial use, please be
    >
    > aware that some photos do require a model or property release. Pictures
    >
    > featuring products should be used with care.
    >

    > The pictures are free for you to use and you should feel good about doing
    >
    > so. If you enjoy your visit, please tell your friends about Public Domain
    >
    > Pictures.net.

    > The picture I looked at said they would like a link but
    >
    > didn't say you have to.

    You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
    a link back to the source was mandatory?

    > If there are terms somewhere that say otherwise I
    >
    > can't find them.
    >

    > | You don't need to register or anything to obtain pictures
    >
    > | at publicdomainpictures.net because you can simply click on the image
    >
    > | to see a large version and then you can easily obtain the image by
    >
    > | right-clicking it and picking "save image as.." from the context-menu.
    >

    > Yes, I tried that. I got a 55 KB JPG. :)
    >
    > In other words, the image on the page is
    >
    > a very low quality image, just barely good
    >
    > enough for website display.

    Then you got the small version. The version I got was 155 kb
    and 1280x853, which is decent (though not fantastic).
    Certainly potentially useful for extracting elements that
    can be reused in photoshop.
    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  12. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 12:26:27 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-08 15:13:55 -0800, "Mayayana" <> said:
    >

    > > | Btw, a cool feature of imgur is that you can share images via

    > > | their weblink. So in that fashion, imgur gets the image directly

    > > | from the publicdomainpictures site. It even creates a weblink below

    > > | the image that links back to the source at publicdomainpictures.

    > > So you can send me a link that sends me to

    > > a website that hosts a stolen image from a

    > > website for which you could have just sent me

    > > a link in the first place??

    > > I don't get it.

    > Sobriquet likes free stuff, and stuff he can hijack. He believes that
    >
    > everything should be free once it has had the slightest sniff of the
    >
    > internet.
    >
    > He believes copyrighted images, original work, movies, software and
    >
    > service TOS's are an interference to his thievery.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Savageduck

    There is no such thing as theft on the internet as far as
    filesharing is concerned.

    Copyright infringement is potentially committed in case of
    filesharing, but that very much depends on local legislation.
    Like in the Netherlands where I live, it's perfectly legal
    to download most content (pictures, movies, books, video, etc..)
    for personal use, regardless of any intellectual property
    claims.
    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  13. sobriquet

    Mayayana Guest

    | You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
    | a link back to the source was mandatory?

    No. If you can't give me a link to the page
    then what does it mean to see a picture? That
    doesn't make sense. On the other hand, you've
    just said in another post that you feel no shame
    and incur no legal risk in taking and using
    anything you find online, so I don't understand
    why you care about the requirements of that
    site.

    I do find this an interesting topic, though. While
    I don't want to use other peoples' property
    illegally or discourteously, I would be interested
    to know about sources of no-strings-attached
    photos. I've been surprised, when I have looked
    for such things, at the lack of generosity.
    Mayayana, Nov 9, 2012
  14. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 2:44:19 AM UTC+1, Mayayana wrote:
    > | You didn't see my version where I marked their statement that
    >
    > | a link back to the source was mandatory?
    >

    > No. If you can't give me a link to the page
    >
    > then what does it mean to see a picture? That
    >
    > doesn't make sense.

    You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.
    I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've
    marked their statement that a reference back to the source is
    mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

    > On the other hand, you've
    >
    > just said in another post that you feel no shame
    >
    > and incur no legal risk in taking and using
    >
    > anything you find online, so I don't understand
    >
    > why you care about the requirements of that
    >
    > site.

    Because, while I'm free to download all the pictures I like,
    and use these pictures in photoshop to create new images. However,
    I can't share these newly created images online. That will result
    in harassment from the people who claim the source images as
    their intellectual property.

    > I do find this an interesting topic, though. While
    >
    > I don't want to use other peoples' property
    >
    > illegally or discourteously, I would be interested
    >
    > to know about sources of no-strings-attached
    >
    > photos.

    Well, that was exactly my original motivation to start this
    thread.

    > I've been surprised, when I have looked
    >
    > for such things, at the lack of generosity.

    I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of generosity, but
    more with coming up with a suitable business model to operate
    such a website. If it would be very popular (say, on par with wikipedia,
    which is also a kind of grass-roots approach to sharing information),
    perhaps ad revenues would suffice to cover the costs of hosting
    all the content. Especially when it employs the bittorrent protocol
    as a method for distributing content (to limit the required bandwidth,
    even in case of large files and many people simultaneously downloading
    popular content).
    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  15. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:12:25 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

    > >> No. If you can't give me a link to the page

    > >> then what does it mean to see a picture? That

    > >> doesn't make sense.

    > > You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.

    > > I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've

    > > marked their statement that a reference back to the source is

    > > mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

    > I think you need to reread what they wrote:
    >
    > "This image is public domain. You may use this picture for any purpose,
    >
    > including commercial. If you do use it, please consider linking back to
    >
    > us. If you are going to redistribute this image online, a hyperlink to
    >
    > this particular page is mandatory."
    >

    > Note that use of the image, even in a commercial is permitted. They ask
    >
    > you to "CONSIDER" linking back to them if you use it.
    >
    > Consider is not mandatory.
    >

    > Then if you are going to "redistribute", (that is not "sharing") the
    >
    > image, you are to make use of their hyperlink to the image. This is
    >
    > their mandatory demand. Meaning that they are retaining the sole right
    >
    > to distribute/redistribute the image.
    >
    > This means you cannot download the image and redistribute it, unaltered
    >
    > yourself. If you want to "share" the unaltered image with somebody
    >
    > else, they are telling you that should only be done by sending your
    >
    > recipient their hyperlink, not yours, or your downloaded binary of
    >
    > their unaltered original image.

    The way I read it, it's fine for me to download the image and upload
    it at another site like imgur. Whether it's modified or not is
    irrelevant, because "this image" can still refer to the same picture,
    even when it has been slightly modified.
    They just require me to ensure there is a link back to the
    source where I obtained the image.
    Distribution and sharing often boils down to the same thing, like when I
    upload an image from that publicdomainpictures site to the imgur site.

    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  16. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:32:19 AM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
    > On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:12:25 AM UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

    > > > You presented a link to a picture of red christmass balls.

    > > > I've taken a screenshot of that very same webpage where I've

    > > > marked their statement that a reference back to the source is

    > > > mandatory for online sharing of the free picture.

    > > I think you need to reread what they wrote:

    > > "This image is public domain. You may use this picture for any purpose,

    > > including commercial. If you do use it, please consider linking back to

    > > us. If you are going to redistribute this image online, a hyperlink to

    > > this particular page is mandatory."

    > > Note that use of the image, even in a commercial is permitted. They ask

    > > you to "CONSIDER" linking back to them if you use it.

    > > Consider is not mandatory.

    > > Then if you are going to "redistribute", (that is not "sharing") the

    > > image, you are to make use of their hyperlink to the image. This is

    > > their mandatory demand. Meaning that they are retaining the sole right

    > > to distribute/redistribute the image.

    > > This means you cannot download the image and redistribute it, unaltered

    > > yourself. If you want to "share" the unaltered image with somebody

    > > else, they are telling you that should only be done by sending your

    > > recipient their hyperlink, not yours, or your downloaded binary of

    > > their unaltered original image.

    > The way I read it, it's fine for me to download the image and upload
    >
    > it at another site like imgur. Whether it's modified or not is
    >
    > irrelevant, because "this image" can still refer to the same picture,
    >
    > even when it has been slightly modified.
    >
    > They just require me to ensure there is a link back to the
    >
    > source where I obtained the image.
    >
    > Distribution and sharing often boils down to the same thing, like when I
    >
    > upload an image from that publicdomainpictures site to the imgur site.
    >

    > > That means if you have use the image in, or as part of a work of your

    > > creation, they would appreciate a link back to their site, but do not

    > > demand it. Your work is yours to distribute as you feel free to, as you

    > > have not returned the new finished work to them for distribution.

    > > --

    > > Regards,

    > > Savageduck

    I've contacted them in order for them to clarify their statement and whether I'm reading it correctly in my assumption I can share images from their site
    on other sites, provided I include a link back to the source.

    So for instance, like this:

    http://imgur.com/pPAUn
    sobriquet, Nov 9, 2012
  17. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >> What's the best online place where people share pictures in order to
    >> create a shared library of pictures that can be used freely (for
    >> instance, to use in photoshop compositions that can be shared
    >> online again without the risk of copyright infringement complaints)?

    Wikimedia Commons has a lot of good images:

    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Photographs

    They're free to use for any purpose with the caveat that many photographers
    require a by-line - check the licence on the individual pics.
    Gordon Freeman, Nov 13, 2012