Best Photoshop Feature You've Never Heard Of?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I went to a Photoshop Seminar yesterday given by Katrin Eismann.
    As is the norm for most of these things, she covered a wealth of
    information and it all comes at you rather quickly. She covered her
    specialties, Layers, Masking, Compositing, etc., as well as some of the

    new features of Photoshop CS2 such as Camera RAW.
    Most of the info was old news to me, but I always learn something new
    at these seminars, which I highly recommend.
    http://www.software-cinema.com/camps.php

    One feature of both CS and CS2 that I'd never heard of is the ability
    to save all of your Photoshop modifications into the History Log. This

    is an option under Preferences/General.
    Katrin suggests that you choose the "Metadata" and the "Detailed"
    settings here. What this does is to save a record of any change you've

    made to the file and embed the information into the metadata of the
    file itself. Photoshop records every setting you used to alter the
    image.
    The info can be viewed later using the "File Info" command. Also, it
    doesn't add too much to the file size of the image since it is just
    embedding some additional text. Cool stuff.

    Btw, if you want to purchase any of the training DVDs on the Software
    Cinema website I have a coupon code that'll get you 15% off. Just
    e-mail me.

    Any other surprises in Photoshop that people have discovered recently?
    The "Blend If" sliders were new to me before I went to a PS seminar
    last year.
    Annika1980, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Annika1980

    Anabella M. Guest

    I can't find this History Log option in PS Elements 2.0 and 4.0, are
    they only in CS and CS2?

    --
    Anabella M.

    .....it's better to have loved and lost
    than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
    --Kelly Bundy
    Anabella M., Dec 12, 2005

  3. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    >I can't find this History Log option in PS Elements 2.0 and 4.0, are
    >they only in CS and CS2?

    That's correct, it is a new feature. Prior to the release of CS many
    people complained that there was no way to save the history state. You
    could save a layered file with all your adjustment layers intact, but
    there was no way to tell how you got there.
    Annika1980, Dec 12, 2005