    and few stores carry them. In my opinion, glossy laser prints are not as nice
    as those from inkjet printers.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Fred McKenzie

    YoYo Guest

    It depends! what printer, what ink, where is the photo going to be
    displayed. These all make a diffrence.

    YoYo, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Fred McKenzie

    tbm Guest

    tbm, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Fred McKenzie

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Try the Ilford Galerie papers - I've had very good results and seen little
    fading in my prints. BTW, you'll find some tonal differences between gloss,
    semi-gloss, pearl, and matte papers. It's worth experimenting. ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Fred McKenzie

    Mark B. Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

    Use paper from the same manufacturer as your printer. In my experience, the
    paper is designed to work best with the OEM ink. I use Epson Premium
    Semi-Gloss & Premium Luster on an 870, results are teriffic.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 6, 2004
  6. Fred McKenzie

    Skip M Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...
    >

    > ---

    For glossy or pearl, I've gotten the best results from Ilford Gallerie
    Classic. I have a friend who swears by all things Epson, I showed him a
    print made on Gallerie Glossy on my Canon printer, and he was amazed. Very
    good ink absorption, great tonality, and, supposedly, good longevity.
    For matte (very, very matte!) I use Epson Heavyweight Matte, more of a
    watercolor type paper, really.
    This is on a Canon i9000s printer, your mileage may vary.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 6, 2004
  7. tm wrote:
    > your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...
    >

    > ---

    Lot of "best" possible.

    Different printers will have different best. Different inks may have
    other "best." Some subjects may do best one gloss others matt. There are
    many many factors.

    While we may all agree that certain paper/ink/subject/use etc. may look
    better with paper A than paper B, we may also all have different opinions
    about what is best.

    Photography has always been a blend of science and art. Best must
    include both and therefore there can't be any one best, only the one YOU
    like best.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 6, 2004
  8. "tbm" <> writes:

    > your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...

    My current favorite paper for use on my HP deskjet 6122 is the Ilford Classic
    Pearl paper. My second favorite is probably Mediastreet G-chrome luster. For
    matte papers, the two Epson mattes (Epson double sided matte, Epson heavy
    weight matte) are both nice. For double sided papers, I used HP double sided
    brouchure paper for making calendars last year.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 6, 2004
  9. "Mark B." <> writes:

    > "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > > your opinion please? many thanks, regards to all from TBM...
    > >

    > Use paper from the same manufacturer as your printer. In my experience, the
    > paper is designed to work best with the OEM ink. I use Epson Premium
    > Semi-Gloss & Premium Luster on an 870, results are teriffic.

    I dunno, I've tried HP papers on my HP deskjet 6122, and have been rather
    underimpressed with them. I much prefer the Ilford Classic Pearl paper.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Fred McKenzie

    Mike G. Guest

    The Ilford papers always get good reviews, as they have in this thread.
    Usually, they are available locally at photo shops, often other
    places. Another line of paper that always gets good press in the
    Photoshop newsgroups is from Red River Paper, available online. A
    couple of nice features are 1) they sell sampler packs so you can try
    many of their papers at a reasonable price, to see if anything fits your
    needs, and 2) they have posted color profiles (*.icc) for most of their
    papers if you use certain Epson or Canon printers, which is great if you
    use a color management workflow.

    http://www.redriverpaper.com/

    Mike G., Jul 6, 2004
  11. Wal-Mart ...

    $15.00 Canadian for 50 sheets of Canon Matte Photo Paper is perfect
    for creating hi rez CD jewel case inserts and 8"x10" photo print
    give-aways.

    Staples [Business Depot] ...

    $45.00Cdn for 40 sheets of Kodak Ultima Picture Paper is a better deal
    than Hewlett Packard Premium Plus Photo paper when printing for myself
    / family.

    Both papers print very well on my HP932C using HP ink. Note: 3rd party
    inks don't cut it. Waste of money trying to save a few cents.

    Hap.

    Hap Shaughnessy, Jul 6, 2004
  12. Fred McKenzie

    Mike Mc Guest

    Hi

    I recently bought a Canon i9950 and did alot of comparison printing to try
    to establish if there was a gloss paper clearly better than the others.

    I tried Canon, Kodak, Epson and HP gloss paper with the same 6 pictures on
    each at A4 and then asked 2 friends (and me) to rate them. We all chose
    differently and no clear pattern emerged. It was such a close call across
    all the papers that with some of the pics there was absolutely nothing to
    choose between them.

    I'm happy to use any of those now. They all give better prints than anything
    I've found from online services and most high street outlets in the UK.

    Hope this helps

    Mike

    Mike Mc, Jul 7, 2004
  13. Fred McKenzie