    like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest

    My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.

    jmc
    jmc, Jan 15, 2007

  2. jmc

    dennis@home Guest

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/143/photo-paper/introduction.html
    dennis@home, Jan 15, 2007

  3. jmc

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 15, 8:22 am, "dennis@home" <-ass.net>
    wrote:
    > "jmc" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    > > Classic Pearl.

    > > Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should look
    > > at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in the
    > > inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I like
    > > a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest

    > > My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.

    > > jmchttp://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/143/photo-paper/introduction.html

    There is a strong link between paper and and each manufacturers ink.
    Dye based inks (whats in your Canon) require different papers than
    pigment ink based printers. But there has always been a disconnect
    between Epson and HP papers for dye based inks. Canon sort of falls in
    the middle, Ilford Classic is a good paper to work with. Canon must
    have a Pearl surface, try that, it is a paper made for your printer.
    The only way to test the papers is with a strong light. A direct south
    facing window is the best, but if you are in the UK, this is not the
    time of year to test. You can set up 4 x 2 light fluorescent shop
    lights, at 1 foot from the print and see how long before it fades. One
    interesting experiment is to use Ilford Classic Pearl and Ilford Pearl
    (not Classic). You will find with dye inks the Ilford Pearl will fade
    in a matter of days to a week. While the Classic will last much longer.
    Print pigment ink on the Ilford Pearl, you will have a nice longlasting
    print, pigment ink won't hold on Ilford Classic, and will scratch very
    easily.
    There are other Pearl surfaced papers, semi matte papers are similar, a
    little less shiny. Be sure you get the papers made for dye inks.

    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 15, 2007
  4. jmc

    Rod Williams Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    > Classic Pearl.
    >
    > Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should
    > look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in
    > the inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I
    > like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest
    >
    > My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.
    >
    > jmc

    I have been using Red River UltraPro Gloss for
    several years and like it a lot with my Canon i960
    printer. I also refill my ink and they work
    together very well.
    Rod Williams, Jan 15, 2007
  5. jmc

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:45:24 +0930, jmc wrote:

    > Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    > Classic Pearl.
    >
    > Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should
    > look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in
    > the inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I
    > like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest
    >
    > My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.
    >
    > jmc

    I you believe the industry info, best results will be obtained by using
    the manufacturer's paper as it is designed to complement the inks they
    manufacture - assuming you're using manufacturer's cartridges, of course.
    ray, Jan 15, 2007
  6. jmc wrote:

    > Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should
    > look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in
    > the inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I
    > like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest

    The paper and inks interact very intimately indeed; both are crucial
    factors in longevity. As occasional surprises have shown.

    Wilhelm Imaging Research is the leading independent lab doing this sort
    of testing. Of course accelerated testing is Black Magic; but Wilhelm
    has been doing it longer than most, so they have more slow testing to
    back up their procedures.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 15, 2007
  7. jmc

    grruffbowwow Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    > Classic Pearl.
    >
    > Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should
    > look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in
    > the inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I
    > like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest
    >
    > My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.
    >
    > jmc

    I own that same printer, based on the iP4200 (here in the U.S.).

    I'll assume you're using Canon OEM inks, I've not found any good source
    for 3rd party ink for these new chipped Canons that I'd trust yet. I
    have gotten my best results by far from Canon's papers; I print Photo
    Paper Plus Glossy if it's not going to be under glass, I use Canon
    Matte Photo Paper for framed prints. Colors are rich and accurate
    without a lot of fussing with profiles, and tonality is acceptable. I
    haven't tried Canon Semi-Gloss, but I'd expect similar results.

    I have a box of Ilford Classic Pearl but I didn't like the results I
    got - what printer profile are you using? With the Ilford profile for
    the iP4200 my results were dull and dark and the colors were not true;
    I had trouble with pooling of ink, too. The dark colors faded very
    quickly, in a few months - overall not satisfactory. The cost of the
    Glossy Canon paper is similar to Ilford Classic papers at about 50-60
    cents per 8.5X11" page, the matte is less than 20 cents/page and looks
    excellent under glass. I decided to look around for other satin papers
    to try, I still haven't found anything worthwhile.

    I have heard that the HP Premium Plus papers works well and retains
    color better than Canon papers; I just bought a pack of glossy and
    semi-gloss on sale and I'll be trying it out soon.
    grruffbowwow, Jan 15, 2007
  8. jmc

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Rod Williams <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > jmc wrote:
    >> Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    >> Classic Pearl.
    >>
    >> Before I order more, is there any other brand/type of paper I should
    >> look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity, or is that more in
    >> the inks? I don't print often, but when I do it's generally something I
    >> like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall, or enter into a photo contest
    >>
    >> My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.
    >>
    >> jmc

    > I have been using Red River UltraPro Gloss for
    > several years and like it a lot with my Canon i960
    > printer. I also refill my ink and they work
    > together very well.

    I also use Red River paper and have found their entire line to be of
    the highest quality. I no longer use any other papers.

    My favorite and most used papers are the Polar Gloss and the UltraPro
    Satin, the latter of which is a big hit with my clients.

    I'm printing currently on an Epson Stylus Photo 2200.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Jan 15, 2007
  9. jmc

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    > jmc wrote:
    >> Well, I've just run out of my current favorite paper, Ilford Galerie
    >> Classic Pearl. Before I order more, is there any other brand/type
    >> of paper I should look at? Does paper quality affect print longevity,
    >> or is that more in the inks? I don't print often, but when I do
    >> it's generally something I like a lot, to frame and hang on a wall,
    >> or enter into a photo contest. My printer's a Canon Pixma MP500.

    We have a home printer with the same type of inks.
    My advice is to reorder Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl if you like it.
    Meanwhile, pick up a pack of Epson Heavyweight Matte, which is
    widely available. I like it, and it's not expensive.

    Paper quality does affect longevity, probably more than the inks.
    For example, Epson Heavyweight Matte holds colors almost 10x as long
    as Epson (Glossy) Photo Paper according to Wilhelm.

    ray <> wrote:
    > I you believe the industry info, best results will be obtained by using
    > the manufacturer's paper as it is designed to complement the inks they
    > manufacture - assuming you're using manufacturer's cartridges, of course.

    According to Wilhelm testing, the Epson Heavyweight Matte outlasts
    Canon Matte by 2 or 3 to 1. This might be an exception to Ray's Rule.
    Bill Tuthill, Jan 15, 2007