    Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    , Jun 22, 2007

  2. gerrit Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    1 Which country?? - makes a difference in the value of the dollar.

    2 What do you want to use it for?

    gerrit, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 22 Giu, 09:52, wrote:
    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    for landscapes Kodak p880,
    with tele for sport photography Canon s3
    for low light Fuji f30-f31
    for general use-fuji s6000
    ciaoooooo

    , Jun 22, 2007
  4. Mike Russell Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    Canon PowerShot G7
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

    Mike Russell, Jun 22, 2007
  5. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    If you stick to the major Camera Companies like Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji,
    you will have narrowed your choice down to a few hundred.

    If there actually was an overall Best, it would be the only one available in
    most shops. There are lots which are best for some features, but none which
    are best for every feature.

    Spend some time reading the review sites, and then in a week or two, you
    might have some idea.

    Try
    www.imaging-resource.com &
    www.dpreview.com

    for starters

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Guest

    On 22 Giu, 09:52, wrote:
    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    # For landscapes and "street"photos- Kodak P880

    # For sport photo and nature-Canon S3

    # For low light -Fuji F30-F31

    # For general use -Fuji s6000

    ciaooooooooo

    , Jun 22, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    > What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even simple
    configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.
    I suggest you get the most simple camera you can find. Interestingly enough
    they also tend to be the cheapest, starting at just over 100$ US.
    Anything more expensive would be a waste of money. If you really want to get
    rid of the 350$ balance then just send it to me.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 22, 2007
  8. Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    >> What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    > If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even simple
    > configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.

    Not necessarily. He may want to actually learn about cameras.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Jun 22, 2007
  9. King Sardon Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:52:12 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    >What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    Buy the Canon Powershot A710.

    It is compact, takes good pictures, has image stabilization, and is
    not too expensive.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jun 22, 2007
  10. ray Guest

    'Best' for what?

    ray, Jun 23, 2007
  11. Aaron Guest

    And lo, King Sardon <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:52:12 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    >>What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    > Buy the Canon Powershot A710.
    >
    > It is compact, takes good pictures, has image stabilization, and is
    > not too expensive.
    >
    > KS

    It looks like the PowerShot SD800 IS is down to $400. Absolutely
    fantastic P&S.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com

    Aaron, Jun 23, 2007
  12. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:42:39 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:

    >> If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even
    >> simple configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.

    > Not necessarily. He may want to actually learn about cameras.

    Then the first useful lesson is that asking "What is the best
    overall camera under $500 today" in a newsgroup is equivalent to
    asking "What is your favorite under $500 camera?", and the answers
    won't necessarily reflect what would be the best camera for a person
    who has said "I know nothing about cameras" and who hasn't said what
    type of photography he/she would use it for. Depending on the OP's
    needs or preferences (which probably haven't yet completely formed)
    the 'best' camera could be one that easily fits in a shirt pocket, a
    medium sized P&S with a hotshoe or even a used Rebel XT.

    ASAAR, Jun 23, 2007
  13. Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >> If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even
    : >> simple configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.
    : >
    : >
    : > Not necessarily. He may want to actually learn about cameras.
    :
    : Then the first useful lesson is that asking "What is the best
    : overall camera under $500 today" in a newsgroup is equivalent to
    : asking "What is your favorite under $500 camera?", and the answers
    : won't necessarily reflect what would be the best camera for a person
    : who has said "I know nothing about cameras" and who hasn't said what
    : type of photography he/she would use it for. Depending on the OP's
    : needs or preferences (which probably haven't yet completely formed)
    : the 'best' camera could be one that easily fits in a shirt pocket, a
    : medium sized P&S with a hotshoe or even a used Rebel XT.

    That sneering response is out of place, IMO. If you're a clueless newbie ready
    to learn, to start by asking a group of more experienced photographers to name
    their favorite camera at the price you can afford sounds perfectly sensible to
    me.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jun 23, 2007
  14. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:01:42 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > : >> If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even
    > : >> simple configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Not necessarily. He may want to actually learn about cameras.
    > :
    > : Then the first useful lesson is that asking "What is the best
    > : overall camera under $500 today" in a newsgroup is equivalent to
    > : asking "What is your favorite under $500 camera?", and the answers
    > : won't necessarily reflect what would be the best camera for a person
    > : who has said "I know nothing about cameras" and who hasn't said what
    > : type of photography he/she would use it for. Depending on the OP's
    > : needs or preferences (which probably haven't yet completely formed)
    > : the 'best' camera could be one that easily fits in a shirt pocket, a
    > : medium sized P&S with a hotshoe or even a used Rebel XT.
    >
    > That sneering response is out of place, IMO. If you're a clueless newbie ready
    > to learn, to start by asking a group of more experienced photographers to name
    > their favorite camera at the price you can afford sounds perfectly sensible to
    > me.

    If you think that my response was in any way sneering, then you
    may be the one suffering from cluelessness. If anything, I was
    trying to help the "newbie" to understand why some of the replies
    might not be very helpful to *him*, because at this point it's
    impossible for anyone to recommend any camera that would really suit
    him. The best they could do would be to recommend several different
    types, pointing out strengths and weaknesses, as well as which types
    of cameras would be better for some types of photography, and which
    types would be better for others. There was one very brief reply of
    this type (repeated), but others, only one of which could possibly
    have been the right answer, and only with a lot of luck and
    serendipity :

    > Canon PowerShot G7

    > Buy the Canon Powershot A710.

    > . . . PowerShot SD800 IS is down to $400. Absolutely fantastic P&S.

    Three quite dissimilar cameras. If one of these actually would be
    the best for a complete newbie, how would he choose? And why didn't
    you consider the following to be a "sneering response"? It is, in a
    way, but it also provides some wisdom and may also help the newbie
    more than the other, more 'positive' responses :

    > If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any
    > even simple configuration or setting option would be of no use
    > to you. I suggest you get the most simple camera you can find.
    > Interestingly enough they also tend to be the cheapest, starting
    > at just over 100$ US. Anything more expensive would be a waste
    > of money. If you really want to get rid of the 350$ balance then
    > just send it to me.

    Does the newbie really want to put some effort into learning how
    to take great pictures, or does he think that by spending up to $500
    that the camera will do all of his work for him? Another point to
    consider that may put this into better perspective. There have been
    some people that have asked similar questions and have returned to
    answer followups. Others have agonized for months over which camera
    to get. s_valmont on the other hand, simply wants a quick response,
    since as he/she said, in addition to knowing "nothing about cameras"

    > I'm looking to buy this weekend.

    From the little we know so far about s_valmont, do you think that
    any of the three Canon models mentioned above would be more suitable
    than any number of under $150 cameras from Canon, Kodak, Nikon,
    Fuji, etc., etc.? By the time he/she learns how to use a decent,
    inexpensive model effectively, as well as what's involved in making
    decent large prints (or will they all be 4x6 snapshots?), s_valmont
    might, just might know whether a better camera is needed, and from
    his current model's limitations, what that camera might be.

    ASAAR, Jun 23, 2007
  15. King Sardon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 02:13:11 GMT, Aaron <>
    wrote:

    >And lo, King Sardon <> emerged from the ether
    >and spake thus:
    >> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:52:12 -0700, wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi. I'm looking to buy this weekend. I know nothing about cameras.
    >>>What model should I pick up? Thanks a bunch.

    >> Buy the Canon Powershot A710.
    >>
    >> It is compact, takes good pictures, has image stabilization, and is
    >> not too expensive.
    >>
    >> KS

    >It looks like the PowerShot SD800 IS is down to $400. Absolutely
    >fantastic P&S.

    Excellent features, but the corners are not sharp. Best to wait for
    the SD850, which does not have wide angle but may (dunno, but MAY) be
    sharper.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jun 24, 2007
  16. King Sardon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:51:39 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    > If you think that my response was in any way sneering, then you
    >may be the one suffering from cluelessness. If anything, I was
    >trying to help the "newbie" to understand why some of the replies
    >might not be very helpful to *him*, because at this point it's
    >impossible for anyone to recommend any camera that would really suit
    >him. The best they could do would be to recommend several different
    >types, pointing out strengths and weaknesses, as well as which types
    >of cameras would be better for some types of photography, and which
    >types would be better for others. There was one very brief reply of
    >this type (repeated), but others, only one of which could possibly
    >have been the right answer, and only with a lot of luck and
    >serendipity :

    Yeah yeah.... yadda yadda....

    Just buy the A710 or the SD800.

    Newbies don't know what camera they want because they have no
    photographic experience. You don't get that from newsgroup responses.
    You get it from shooting. And you need a camera to do shooting. So
    just get one of those....

    How far wrong could the guy go???

    KS

    King Sardon, Jun 24, 2007
  17. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:06:06 GMT, Knave Sardon wrote:

    > Yeah yeah.... yadda yadda....
    >
    > Just buy the A710 or the SD800.
    >
    > Newbies don't know what camera they want because they have no
    > photographic experience. You don't get that from newsgroup responses.
    > You get it from shooting. And you need a camera to do shooting. So
    > just get one of those....
    >
    > How far wrong could the guy go???

    I'll bet that *you* don't know. But then neither does anyone
    else. Just a few answered questions could save a couple of hundred
    dollars and much wasted time, but your facile response won't waste
    any of *your* money or time. If the OP has more money than he knows
    what to do with, it might not matter what camera he gets. But as I
    indicated earlier, some of the responses would simply be a camera
    that the replier prefers. If it struck a nerve, good. Maybe next
    time you'll ask some questions to find out if your favorite cameras
    really would make the best choices. It might not matter anyway, as
    the OP indicated that he wanted to buy this weekend, and it's now
    Sunday, so the OP :

    a. May not return, or
    b. May already have bought a camera.

    ASAAR, Jun 24, 2007
  18. Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:01:42 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:14:19 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >: On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:42:39 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:
    >:
    >: >> If you know nothing about cameras and photography then any even
    >: >> simple configuration or setting option would be of no use to you.
    >: >
    >: >
    >: > Not necessarily. He may want to actually learn about cameras.
    >:
    >: Then the first useful lesson is that asking "What is the best
    >: overall camera under $500 today" in a newsgroup is equivalent to
    >: asking "What is your favorite under $500 camera?", and the answers
    >: won't necessarily reflect what would be the best camera for a person
    >: who has said "I know nothing about cameras" and who hasn't said what
    >: type of photography he/she would use it for. Depending on the OP's
    >: needs or preferences (which probably haven't yet completely formed)
    >: the 'best' camera could be one that easily fits in a shirt pocket, a
    >: medium sized P&S with a hotshoe or even a used Rebel XT.
    >
    >That sneering response is out of place, IMO. If you're a clueless newbie ready
    >to learn, to start by asking a group of more experienced photographers to name
    >their favorite camera at the price you can afford sounds perfectly sensible to
    >me.
    >
    >Bob

    You don't know what's "best", especially when the person asking gives
    you no clue about what they want.
    It's like asking, "What's the best car for me?", when you know nothing
    about the person asking.
    Usually, in such a case, the answers given represent what the answerer
    likes, which usually has no relation to what the questioner actually
    wants.

    Bill and Hillary Clinton shot a commercial in
    a diner spoofing the last scene of The Sopranos.
    It's not the first time they acted like mobsters.
    They spent so much time in front of grand juries,
    the Sons of Italy granted them honorary membership.

    Bill Funk, Jun 24, 2007
  19. King Sardon Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 00:15:15 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:06:06 GMT, Knave Sardon wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah yeah.... yadda yadda....
    >>
    >> Just buy the A710 or the SD800.
    >>
    >> Newbies don't know what camera they want because they have no
    >> photographic experience. You don't get that from newsgroup responses.
    >> You get it from shooting. And you need a camera to do shooting. So
    >> just get one of those....
    >>
    >> How far wrong could the guy go???

    > I'll bet that *you* don't know. But then neither does anyone
    >else. Just a few answered questions could save a couple of hundred
    >dollars and much wasted time, but your facile response won't waste
    >any of *your* money or time. If the OP has more money than he knows
    >what to do with, it might not matter what camera he gets. But as I
    >indicated earlier, some of the responses would simply be a camera
    >that the replier prefers. If it struck a nerve, good. Maybe next
    >time you'll ask some questions to find out if your favorite cameras
    >really would make the best choices. It might not matter anyway, as
    >the OP indicated that he wanted to buy this weekend, and it's now
    >Sunday, so the OP :
    >
    >a. May not return, or
    >b. May already have bought a camera.

    He didn't give much notice, did he?

    Anyway, what if he said he's going on safari and wants to take
    pictures of lions? Would you recommend this newbie get a 30D with a
    500mm lens?

    What if he said he always wanted to take sports pix? Would you tell
    him to buy the Mark III?

    Or if he wanted to do portraits? You would sugest the full frame with
    the 85mm/f1.8??

    Just because it's the right tool does not mean it's appropriate for a
    newbie. Take off your pro hat and think like a beginner again.

    The A710 is what I'd recommend right now to any newbie or his mother.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jun 24, 2007
  20. Cru Grand Guest

    On 24 Jun, 22:16, King Sardon <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 00:15:15 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > >On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:06:06 GMT, Knave Sardon wrote:

    > >> Yeah yeah.... yadda yadda....

    > >> Just buy the A710 or the SD800.

    > >> Newbies don't know what camera they want because they have no
    > >> photographic experience. You don't get that from newsgroup responses.
    > >> You get it from shooting. And you need a camera to do shooting. So
    > >> just get one of those....

    > >> How far wrong could the guy go???

    > > I'll bet that *you* don't know. But then neither does anyone
    > >else. Just a few answered questions could save a couple of hundred
    > >dollars and much wasted time, but your facile response won't waste
    > >any of *your* money or time. If the OP has more money than he knows
    > >what to do with, it might not matter what camera he gets. But as I
    > >indicated earlier, some of the responses would simply be a camera
    > >that the replier prefers. If it struck a nerve, good. Maybe next
    > >time you'll ask some questions to find out if your favorite cameras
    > >really would make the best choices. It might not matter anyway, as
    > >the OP indicated that he wanted to buy this weekend, and it's now
    > >Sunday, so the OP :

    > >a. May not return, or
    > >b. May already have bought a camera.

    > He didn't give much notice, did he?
    >
    > Anyway, what if he said he's going on safari and wants to take
    > pictures of lions? Would you recommend this newbie get a 30D with a
    > 500mm lens?

    an Olympus sp550uz, 28-504mm.

    Cru Grand, Jun 24, 2007