Best outgoing provider for UK landline...?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Alex, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi,

    I currently have a sipgate account, which I am very pleased with so far (use
    it mainly for incoming calls and daytime 0845/0870 as we have no landline,
    only cable broadband and my mobile does the bulk of my calling due to
    x-network free mins).

    I do however use the sipgate account for roughly 5mins a day on calls to
    landlines. With all these providers who seem to be offering free UK calls
    for adding a nominal amount of credit to your account, I feel like I am
    sticking my head in the sand a bit by not using them (eg voipbuster,
    sipdicsount, 18899 etc...). Could anyone recommend a provider to use for
    some UK landline free calls? I'd want to be able to put the settings into my
    ATA just for the time I want to make the call (some discount providers dont
    list the settings on their website and the settings seem to be kept a bit of
    a secret elsewhere), and then revert the settings back to sipgate, I *dont*
    want to use a shoddy softphone, or pay subscription eg vonage.

    Yes I want something for nothing as it seems it is being offered! If not
    then I'm quite happy to give sipgate 1.19p a minute for the small amount of
    calls I make which aren't 0845/0870.

    TIA,
    Alex
    Alex, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Alex wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently have a sipgate account, which I am very pleased with so far (use
    > it mainly for incoming calls and daytime 0845/0870 as we have no landline,
    > only cable broadband and my mobile does the bulk of my calling due to
    > x-network free mins).
    >
    > I do however use the sipgate account for roughly 5mins a day on calls to
    > landlines. With all these providers who seem to be offering free UK calls
    > for adding a nominal amount of credit to your account, I feel like I am
    > sticking my head in the sand a bit by not using them (eg voipbuster,
    > sipdicsount, 18899 etc...). Could anyone recommend a provider to use for
    > some UK landline free calls? I'd want to be able to put the settings into my
    > ATA just for the time I want to make the call (some discount providers dont
    > list the settings on their website and the settings seem to be kept a bit of
    > a secret elsewhere), and then revert the settings back to sipgate, I *dont*
    > want to use a shoddy softphone, or pay subscription eg vonage.
    >
    > Yes I want something for nothing as it seems it is being offered! If not
    > then I'm quite happy to give sipgate 1.19p a minute for the small amount of
    > calls I make which aren't 0845/0870.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Alex

    you could try www.voipfone.co.uk its pay as you go minimum payment is a
    fiver

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Alex

    Someone Guest

    > I do however use the sipgate account for roughly 5mins a day on calls to
    > landlines. With all these providers who seem to be offering free UK calls
    > for adding a nominal amount of credit to your account, I feel like I am
    > sticking my head in the sand a bit by not using them (eg voipbuster,
    > sipdicsount, 18899 etc...). Could anyone recommend a provider to use for
    > some UK landline free calls? I'd want to be able to put the settings into
    > my ATA just for the time I want to make the call (some discount providers
    > dont list the settings on their website and the settings seem to be kept a
    > bit of a secret elsewhere), and then revert the settings back to sipgate,
    > I *dont* want to use a shoddy softphone, or pay subscription eg vonage.
    >
    > Yes I want something for nothing as it seems it is being offered! If not
    > then I'm quite happy to give sipgate 1.19p a minute for the small amount
    > of calls I make which aren't 0845/0870.

    I have been fairly impressed by voipbuster.com over the last few days, I run
    it
    as a trunk on my asterisk system, and sound quality has been very good.
    however
    I did find in the evening it sometimes failed, I guess due to excess use.

    I still have no idea how they make money, I am guessing after x amount of
    time free calls
    may be switch off or chargable call costs increased

    In regard to settings 18866.com voipbuster.com and sipdiscount all use
    similar set ups.
    on some phones soft or hard there have been problems with audio not being
    heard. If you have
    this try and turn off all other codecs apart from the one that is going to
    be used
    Someone, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Alex

    Marc Popek Guest

    Just use a pstn to voip auto switch easier and you get surge protection FREE

    Marc
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5820032138&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Oct 17, 2005