    real or convincing reason to upgade to 7.0 or whatever?

    Thanks in advance.

    David N.

    FocaIPoint, Dec 22, 2003

  2. FocaIPoint

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: ojunk (FocaIPoint)

    >Recently on the lsit there was a post describing why JPG was not the file or
    >compression format for high quality scanned or digital images
    >
    >The natural quetion of this digital beginner is what file and or compression
    >formats should I save my scans to from within Photoshop.

    Tiff or PSD are fine since there is no lossy compression. If you're *really*
    pressed for disk space you can compress 8 bit tiff files and, for most image
    structures, get a compressed file maybe 40-70% the size of the original with no
    loss of data (though not all photo editors will be able to open it). With
    Photoshop you can also save as a Zip without loss and I've found these are a
    bit smaller than compressed tiffs.

    Many (most?) people feel you lose very little with a jpeg compression of 100,
    with a nice file size saving, but if you make a lot of edits to the jpeg you
    are more likely to see posterization than you would with an uncompressed file.

    >An ancillery question
    >I have PS 6.0. It's primarily used for photographic manipulation. Is there
    >a real or convincing reason to upgade to 7.0 or whatever?

    The new CS version (V 8) has a lot of new goodies for the digital photographer,
    I feel, and is well worth the upgrade. There were a lot of threads in November
    about the new features.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 22, 2003

  3. FocaIPoint

    FocaIPoint Guest

    >I feel, and is well worth the upgrade. There were a lot of threads in
    >November
    >about the new features.>>> etc etc.

    As you can obviously tell from my rank basic questions I am a total newcomer to
    digital. I've been involved in conventional photograhy for as long as I can
    recall -- more than fifty years now -- and I finally feel it's about time to
    take the plunge. Soooo any and all input to my rather basic questions is
    greatly appreciated.

    If there is a particularly good educational URL on digital basics to advanced,
    imaging, scanning, printing (all digital( I'd greatly appreciate them. They
    would save the list from reading my many questions. :)

    Thanks again.

    David N.

    FocaIPoint, Dec 22, 2003