Best optical, wireless mouse?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gerry, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. gerry

    gerry Guest

    Well, my old optical mouse just went kerplotz on me and I need a new
    one after a couple hours with this back up tethered beastie.

    I've heard a lot of good things about the logitech mx700 and went to
    the store to purchase one when I happened upon the new MS Intellimouse
    Explorer V2.0

    Hmmm, I says.

    I tried to find some reviews and found one, but I also did some
    newsgroup perusing and saw that many people are unhappy with the
    rollback in features in the intellimouse software (loss of flexibility
    to program buttons as completely).

    I doubt I will miss those features much, so I am primarily interested
    in response time (previous, albeit old wireless mice I have tried had
    "lag" between movement and screen movement), comfort, tracking and
    battery life. I will say that my use of the MS intellimouse v1.0 was
    positive, but I've heard many good things about the mx700 so I am
    intrigued

    I am right handed, though I will switch to the left at times, so these
    "right hand only mice" strike me as odd, but left handed use is
    reserved for light surfing. Is there any real advantage to going with
    the mx700 and intellimouse v2 over the more symmetrical mice
    bretheren?

    This will be for mostly business use with occasional light gaming--I
    am not a heavy gamer and those I do enjoy tend to be of the less
    frantic variety.

    What limited handling I was able to do in store had me leaning toward
    the MS mouse, which seemed more comfortable in my hand--there was
    something awkward about the ridge on the right hand site of the mx700.
    Such limited exposure doesn't lend itself to sound buying decisions.

    Has anyone used both?

    gerry, Jan 4, 2004