Best Online Photo Printing Site?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Axinar, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Axinar

    Axinar Guest

    Well, having gotten a survey from our favorite friends in the
    northwest, I thought it might be a good time to review a subject we
    haven't visited intently in the last couple of years.

    Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?

    In the are STRICTLY of print quality, I'd still have to tip my hat to
    Ezprints. I think pricewise they have become competitive with
    Photoworks at this point, but they do lack a bit on their interface.
    Plus I just had to chuck my 20 X 30 glossy of "Flag over Skyline" that
    I got from Ezprints as I was fool enough to have them print it glossy
    and put it in a plastic poster frame (why didn't ya'll warn me? My
    matte 20 X 30 of the capitol is holding up fine in the same frame).

    I have tried Ofoto, Shutterfly, and even Adoramma. All of them bite
    the big one.

    Has anyone tried the Wal-Mart online service? I was about to try an
    order and could tell that their interface was just as bad as
    Shutterfly, plus Bentonville's finest had the unmitigated gaul to try
    to charge for server space.

    Also, does anyone know of any decent mail-order shops that can make
    decent negative scans? Photoworks is passable (they print from the
    negs and then scan the prints ... maybe .5 megapixel -- great if you
    have something completely casual but not so good if you want to do any
    editing).

    Thanks!

    Ax

    Axinar, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Axinar

    NoNameAtAll Guest

    One place I didn't see on there was Snapfish, which I hadn't even heard about
    until just the other day when I received a promo in the mail. It came with an
    offer for 15 free prints, so I figured what the heck. Their interface is very
    easy. I'll post the final results after the prints arrive, which should be
    soon.

    NoNameAtAll, Jul 16, 2004

  3. Axinar

    Bob Guest

    I have tried fotki.com and walmart.com

    foki.com is way better than walmart.com; walmart.com over exposed them or
    something, but lots of detal was lost in whites, for example

    If the photos I got printed at walmart are any indication of their quality
    in general, I'd warn against them. Personally, I will not give them another
    chance, the first results being so obviously worse than what I got from
    fotki.

    Bob, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Axinar

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Axinar <> wrote:

    > Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?

    I use Printroom.com. They're by far the best I've found; all of the others
    give you totally unpredictable output, usually trying to "fix" things for
    you. Printroom supports ICC profiles (unlike every other service I've ever
    tried), and provides a profile for their process for soft proofing, and
    (assuming a color-managed workflow) will print exactly what you send them
    if you don't tell them otherwise.

    Side by side with prints of the same pictures from the "big" services, they
    immediately leap out as being much better.

    Note that I'm not shopping on price; a cheap print that's no good isn't worth
    anything.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Axinar

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Jul 16, 2004
  6. My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
    quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
    get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
    large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
    have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
    taxes involved.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 16, 2004
  7. (Axinar) writes:

    > Well, having gotten a survey from our favorite friends in the
    > northwest, I thought it might be a good time to review a subject we
    > haven't visited intently in the last couple of years.
    >
    > Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?
    >
    > In the are STRICTLY of print quality, I'd still have to tip my hat to
    > Ezprints. I think pricewise they have become competitive with
    > Photoworks at this point, but they do lack a bit on their interface.
    > Plus I just had to chuck my 20 X 30 glossy of "Flag over Skyline" that
    > I got from Ezprints as I was fool enough to have them print it glossy
    > and put it in a plastic poster frame (why didn't ya'll warn me? My
    > matte 20 X 30 of the capitol is holding up fine in the same frame).
    >
    > I have tried Ofoto, Shutterfly, and even Adoramma. All of them bite
    > the big one.

    I've had great luck with shutterfly for regular prints, though I didn't like
    the snapbook I recently ordered from them. When I had need of prints in a
    hurry, I had the prints back in 4 days with 2nd day mail (order on Sunday
    night, got the prints Thursday). Sorry shutterfly didn't work out for you. I
    have used ezprints.com in the past, but their web site seems to be down about
    1/2 the time I visit them. I like the consumer division of Millers (mpix.com)
    also, though the interface is quirky and I have to run their app on Windows (I
    usually use Linux) to upload files.

    > Has anyone tried the Wal-Mart online service? I was about to try an
    > order and could tell that their interface was just as bad as
    > Shutterfly, plus Bentonville's finest had the unmitigated gaul to try
    > to charge for server space.

    I tend to dislike walmart.com since they only print on glossy paper. I much
    prefer the luster/pearl finish that my local brick and mortar Walmart uses.

    > Also, does anyone know of any decent mail-order shops that can make
    > decent negative scans? Photoworks is passable (they print from the
    > negs and then scan the prints ... maybe .5 megapixel -- great if you
    > have something completely casual but not so good if you want to do any
    > editing).

    Mpix takes negatives I think, but I haven't used them.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 18, 2004
  8. "Gene Palmiter" <> writes:

    > My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
    > quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
    > get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
    > large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
    > have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
    > taxes involved.

    I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
    were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
    printers.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 18, 2004
  9. Axinar

    Brad Guest

    In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    meissners.org said...
    > "Gene Palmiter" <> writes:
    >
    > > My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
    > > quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
    > > get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
    > > large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
    > > have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
    > > taxes involved.

    > I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
    > were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
    > printers.

    When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
    ago.

    Brad, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Brad <> writes:

    > In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    > meissners.org said...
    > > "Gene Palmiter" <> writes:
    > >
    > > > My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
    > > > quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
    > > > get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
    > > > large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
    > > > have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
    > > > taxes involved.

    > > I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
    > > were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
    > > printers.

    > When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
    > ago.

    Longer than that, so maybe its time to give them another try, but their prices
    aren't that great unless you commit yourself to their monthly plans, and it
    looks like they only do up to 11x14 prints. I must admit to having a Fuji
    process bias, the only place I have tried that uses Kodak paper/processing in
    the last 30 years has been mpix.com.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jul 19, 2004
  11. Axinar

    Brad Guest

    In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    meissners.org said...
    > Brad <> writes:
    >
    > > In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    > > meissners.org said...

    > > > I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
    > > > were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
    > > > printers.

    > > When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
    > > ago.

    > Longer than that, so maybe its time to give them another try, but their prices
    > aren't that great unless you commit yourself to their monthly plans, and it
    > looks like they only do up to 11x14 prints. I must admit to having a Fuji
    > process bias, the only place I have tried that uses Kodak paper/processing in
    > the last 30 years has been mpix.com.

    They print a number of large poster sizes. It's just not part of the
    regular shopping cart.

    Brad, Jul 19, 2004
  12. Axinar

    Guest

    Best in the UK is PhotoBox.
    And i don't work for them either.
    Just great quality and very fast turn around.

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:06:03 -0400, Brad <> wrote:

    >In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    >meissners.org said...
    >> Brad <> writes:
    >>
    >> > In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    >> > meissners.org said...

    >> > When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
    >> > ago.

    >> Longer than that, so maybe its time to give them another try, but their prices
    >> aren't that great unless you commit yourself to their monthly plans, and it
    >> looks like they only do up to 11x14 prints. I must admit to having a Fuji
    >> process bias, the only place I have tried that uses Kodak paper/processing in
    >> the last 30 years has been mpix.com.

    >They print a number of large poster sizes. It's just not part of the
    >regular shopping cart.

    , Jul 19, 2004
  13. Michael Meissner <> writes:

    > Longer than that, so maybe its time to give them another try, but their
    > prices aren't that great unless you commit yourself to their monthly plans,
    > and it looks like they only do up to 11x14 prints. I must admit to having a
    > Fuji process bias, the only place I have tried that uses Kodak
    > paper/processing in the last 30 years has been mpix.com.

    I need to proofread more. The last sentence should read:

    I must admit to having a Fuji process bias, the only place I have tried
    that I like and uses Kodak paper/processing in the last 30 years has
    been mpix.com.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: