    LouisB
    ------
    "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

    LouisB, May 3, 2006

  2. LouisB

    isuy Guest

    http://jalbum.net

    isuy, May 3, 2006

  3. LouisB

    Frank ess Guest

    LouisB wrote:
    > What are the opinions of the group about online photo album
    > services?
    >
    > I've avoided them because most I've seen require people (friends,
    > relatives) to register before they can see your pictures which I see
    > as an imposition. Are there any that don't?

    FotoTime.com is not the only one that allows visitors to view without
    registering, nor the only one that allows the 'owner' to specify which
    albums are available for such viewing; however, it is the one I've
    used for nearly three years and seven thousand images.

    They also do your videos and are connected to a print and gift
    service, both quie satisfactory.

    Free thirty-day trial.

    Example:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B88279FB30DEC58

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, May 3, 2006
  4. LouisB

    RustY© Guest

    www.webshots.com is a totally free service that will suit your needs.

    RustY©, May 3, 2006
  5. Ï "LouisB" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    www.shuttercity.com Is free and there are no impositions.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 3, 2006
  6. LouisB

    LouisB Guest

    Excellent. Just what I was looking for.

    Thanks

    LouisB

    LouisB, May 3, 2006
  7. LouisB

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Regulars may be wondering why I didn't respond to the "best online photo
    album service" question earlier. This week's been busy. Skim down to
    the part about legal obligations re. privacy if you've already read
    my bragging about ourdoings.com.

    "LouisB" <> writes:

    > What are the opinions of the group about online photo album services?

    My opinion is that the "best" album service depends on what you're
    trying to do. Most people on rec.photo.digital who use such services do
    so in order to publicize and get criticism for their photos, and mine
    isn't the best for that purpose.

    > I've avoided them because most I've seen require people (friends, relatives)
    > to register before they can see your pictures which I see as an imposition.
    > Are there any that don't?

    Since you're talking about photos for friends and relatives, there's one
    clear best online photo album service: mine.

    Several don't require registration. Of course mine doesn't. If
    unlisted numbers are enough privacy for most people, why not simply use
    unlisted URLs?

    Friends and relatives may want to register, though, so as to receive
    email updates through the site. Email updates from ourdoings.com are
    superior to just sending a link around, in that people see thumbnails
    right in the message. Rather than ponder whether it's worth their time
    at that moment to see your latest photos, they can just scan the message
    and see how interesting they look.

    I'm contractually obligated not to use your friends/relatives email
    addresses for anything other than providing or improving the service.
    This is an important point.

    I'm not a lawyer, but for advertising-supported sites I'm not sure their
    privacy policy (assuming they have one) is binding. If you aren't
    paying for an online album, promises they make to you might be
    considered gifts, and they could change their mind. If you pay for an
    online album and as part of the agreement that site promises not to
    abuse personal information, then even without being a lawyer or knowing
    what jurisdiction you're in I can say with confidence it's binding.

    I wouldn't abuse private info anyway. But supposing I got hit by a bus
    and someone else took over ourdoings.com, the new person would be taking
    over contracts that stipulate privacy.

    > Alternatively, I recall having some software once which created html pages
    > to upload to your own ftp area on the web. Can anyone point me in the
    > direction of some software (shareware) which does this? Then I can use my
    > own web space.

    Here are some advantages ourdoings.com has over using your personal web
    space:

    1. SSL. If you upload to your own web space from a public wireless
    network, or from a shared ethernet where some machines might be
    compromised or otherwise untrusted, a cracker might steal your
    FTP password and be able to deface your site. With ourdoings.com,
    SSL protects your password and other authentication information.
    I don't think many ISPs provide secure FTP.

    2. Collaboration. People from multiple locations can maintain a site.
    They can be given different levels of authorization.

    3. Better software. The process for putting text with your photos is
    much more streamlined than the "caption" idea in just about every
    album-building site out there. Chronologically, your photos can
    organize themselves, so why work hard? Putting text with a group of
    photos (usually grouped by day, though you can do any grouping you
    want) tells your story without your needing to explain every photo.

    4. Fast server. I ordered an extra fast dedicated server, forgetting
    that I'm the world's worst marketer and my little project is unlikely
    to ever become a big business. Take advantage of it.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, May 6, 2006
  8. LouisB

    Johnny Mo Guest

    > --
    >
    > http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    > photos for your family or group.

    I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a site
    two different email addr verifiers in use ?

    my email addr has two dots in it or this form: I'll bet
    it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

    Johnny Mo, May 6, 2006
  9. LouisB

    Johnny Mo Guest

    "Johnny Mo" <> wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    >> photos for your family or group.

    > I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a
    > site
    > two different email addr verifiers in use ?
    >
    > my email addr has two dots in it or this form: I'll
    > bet it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

    and of course when I try to use a different "one dot" email address I get
    into a catch-22 until I can find a cookie undeleter:
    ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "login_cookie_pkey"

    Johnny Mo, May 6, 2006
  10. LouisB

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "Johnny Mo" <> writes:

    > "Johnny Mo" <> wrote in message
    > > I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a
    > > site
    > > two different email addr verifiers in use ?
    > >
    > > my email addr has two dots in it or this form: I'll
    > > bet it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

    Can you send me the exact SMTP error message? I wonder if it has
    something to do with SPF with your email provider.

    > and of course when I try to use a different "one dot" email address I get
    > into a catch-22 until I can find a cookie undeleter:
    > ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "login_cookie_pkey"

    Cookie undeleter here:

    https://ourdoings.com/logout.html

    Bruce Lewis, May 7, 2006
  11. LouisB

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Bruce Lewis <> writes:

    > Can you send me the exact SMTP error message? I wonder if it has
    > something to do with SPF with your email provider.

    Never mind. I found the problem.

    In the meantime, just log in at
    https://ourdoings.com/person.html

    You'll find the sites you created but got errors for.

    Bruce Lewis, May 7, 2006
  12. LouisB

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "Johnny Mo" <> writes:

    > I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a site
    > two different email addr verifiers in use ?

    No, it was another bug. It's fixed now. Boring details follow:

    In case you're curious, it was that the new site creation page was still
    checking an email_verified column that was a vestige of an older, less
    simplified registration system. When that column was null, your email
    address would end up being the value #f (false in Scheme), and you got
    an unfriendly error message because this situation was only to be
    encountered by people trying to hack the site.

    As a result, people who registered some time ago could fully create
    sites, while people who registered recently (like you) could mostly
    create sites, except that old email_verified check kicked in when the
    email was sent telling you about the site you created.

    When you log in you'll find several sites you created while trying to
    make things work.

    The good news is that now that this is fixed, everything that works for
    me (and that's everything) will also work for you.

    Bruce Lewis, May 7, 2006