    WestPac.

    Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.

    Thanks.

    Mark., Sep 29, 2003

  2. Mark.

    jedmesiter Guest

    Forget ASB/Bankdirect, their online banking does not support FCA.

    Try HSBC, I have an account with them in the UK and the internet banking is
    really good.But, I'm not sure if HSBC NZ are any good, but worth checking
    them out.

    jedmesiter, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Mark.

    Howard Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:26:32 +1200, jedmesiter wrote:

    > Forget ASB/Bankdirect, their online banking does not support FCA.
    >
    > Try HSBC, I have an account with them in the UK and the internet banking
    > is really good.But, I'm not sure if HSBC NZ are any good, but worth
    > checking them out.
    >

    > "Mark." <> wrote in message
    >> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
    >> banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
    >> such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management
    >> etc..
    >>
    >> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    >> WestPac.

    HSBC NZ internet banking does do Automatic Payments / Bill Payments &
    Foreign Ccy accounts. To my knowledge, they're the only bank in NZ who do
    support FCAs online.

    But... they have high opening balance requirements (NZD 3000, more for
    FCA), and their human service level is attrocious. OK if you want to do
    everything via the web, but you'll come out swearing it you ever have to
    do anything in a branch or on the phone!

    Also, they're linux phobic, so Linuxers have to amend their browser user
    agent id. (Why would anyone be so stupid as to allow _only_ IE or Netscape
    4 series browsers!). I don't know if they support OSX in a similarly
    unfriendly manner.

    You can open an account online here:
    http://www.hsbc.co.nz/nz/personal/products/savings/osa.htm

    Howard, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Do you know if any of them support managing Term Investments online?

    ASB tells me it will come be available eventually, but they have told me
    that for years now. They claim other features are more important, but I
    haven't seen much added at all over the years.

    They are overall a good bank to deal with, but their Internet offering isn't
    really that useful, and their limits stupidly low (They will increase some
    on request, but $2500 a day for EFTPOS is still pathetic no matter how you
    look at it).

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Mark.

    Howard Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:56:14 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Do you know if any of them support managing Term Investments online?
    >
    > ASB tells me it will come be available eventually, but they have told me
    > that for years now. They claim other features are more important, but I
    > haven't seen much added at all over the years.
    >
    > They are overall a good bank to deal with, but their Internet offering
    > isn't really that useful, and their limits stupidly low (They will
    > increase some on request, but $2500 a day for EFTPOS is still pathetic no
    > matter how you look at it).

    Yes TDs can be managed online. Loans can be seen online, (balances /
    transactions etc) but not changed.

    HSBC daily payment limits are NZD 10k.

    Overall quite a good site IB site.

    Howard, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Mark.

    Allistar Guest

    Mark. wrote:

    > Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
    > banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
    > such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
    >
    > My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    > WestPac.
    >
    > Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use ANZ and find it quite good. It doesn't render perfectly in Mozilla but
    functions flawlessly. My only gripe is there seems to be no tax code for
    making provisional payments (when paying tax online).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Mark.

    ToiletDuck Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:26:34 +1200, Mark. wrote:

    > Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
    > banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
    > such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
    >
    > My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    > WestPac.
    >
    > Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    WestPac has a nice clean interface and it works fine in Opera, Mozilla and
    Konqueror in Linux. Of course, Westpac is a crap bank that will empty your
    account with their extortionate fees, but the website is great.

    ToiletDuck, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Mark.

    Howard Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:48:17 +1200, Allistar wrote:

    > I use ANZ and find it quite good. It doesn't render perfectly in Mozilla
    > but functions flawlessly. My only gripe is there seems to be no tax code
    > for making provisional payments (when paying tax online).

    Just use the pay anyone function and put the tax code in the "Code" panel

    "In the payee code panel, enter three zeroes in the first three boxes,
    leave the next box blank, enter TAX and leave another box blank. Then
    enter the code for the correct tax type."

    http://www.ird.govt.nz/contacts/payments.html

    Howard, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Mark.

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew, Sep 29, 2003
  10. On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:01:29 +1200, Howard wrote:

    > Also, they're linux phobic, so Linuxers have to amend their browser user
    > agent id. (Why would anyone be so stupid as to allow _only_ IE or Netscape
    > 4 series browsers!).

    BNZ have been guilty of this too, along with pages which should have had
    them prosecuted for discrimination against blind users.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Mark.

    steve Guest

    Mark. wrote:
    > Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
    > banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
    > such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
    >
    > My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    > WestPac.
    >
    > Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I use ANZ. They have a broad range of service online. They appear to
    offer Forx services to busines clients:

    http://www.anz.com/fxonline/default.asp

    They also support almost any recent version of any browser:

    Konqueror, Galeon, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape.....I haven't tried Lynx.

    steve, Sep 30, 2003
  12. In article <a85eb.4611$>, steve <> wrote:
    >Mark. wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >I use ANZ. They have a broad range of service online. They appear to

    *SNIP*
    >*SNIP*...I haven't tried Lynx.

    You need SSL, and I don't have a version with SSL compiled in.
    It should work, since the site seems to be pretty well laid out, but I
    can't say for sure. Anyone?

    I am a big fan of ANZ's 'net banking. It's the thing that I will weigh
    any future bank against, and so far most of them seem to come up
    lacking.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Sep 30, 2003
  13. Mark.

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Mark. wrote:
    >> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best
    >> online banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user"
    >> features such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account
    >> management etc..
    >>
    >> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    >> WestPac.
    >>
    >> Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I use ANZ. They have a broad range of service online. They appear to
    > offer Forx services to busines clients:
    >
    > http://www.anz.com/fxonline/default.asp

    Do you know if this applies to ANZ New Zealand as well? as the online
    content for NZ is seperate from the aussies.

    > They also support almost any recent version of any browser:

    That doesn't apply to printing out bank statments using Mozzila.

    Chris Mayhew, Sep 30, 2003
  14. Mark.

    steve Guest

    Chris Mayhew allegedly said:

    > steve <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mark. wrote:
    >>> Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best
    >>> online banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user"
    >>> features such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account
    >>> management etc..
    >>>
    >>> My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    >>> WestPac.
    >>>
    >>> Constructive suggestions or experiences welcomed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> I use ANZ. They have a broad range of service online. They appear to
    >> offer Forx services to busines clients:
    >>
    >> http://www.anz.com/fxonline/default.asp

    > Do you know if this applies to ANZ New Zealand as well? as the online
    > content for NZ is seperate from the aussies.

    The link to the Business Services is from www.nz.anz.com...so I assume it is
    available to NZers. You'd have to ask. But they clearly do offer some sort
    of online forex service....though i have no idea what the services are or
    what requirements they may have to access it.

    >> They also support almost any recent version of any browser:

    > That doesn't apply to printing out bank statments using Mozzila.

    ?

    I can print my transactions OK. Not sure what you mean.

    steve, Sep 30, 2003
  15. Thus spake Mark.:
    > Opening an account here in NZ and need a bank which has the best online
    > banking interface i.e. easy to use but still has "power user" features
    > such as automated bill payment, foreign currency account management etc..
    >
    > My short list at present is ASB, Bank Direct (part of ASB??), HSBC,
    > WestPac.

    I find BankDirect good as a bank, only OK website wise - they try a
    little bit to hard to make it whizzy and that sometimes gets in the way
    (I use Mozilla mostly). OTOH they have been doing it for a long time and
    this is probably good experience to have. Seem quite aware of security
    etc.

    My classic gripe with bankdirect was - you have to use a password with
    EXACTLY 8 characters 2 of which MUST be digits! I had a bit of to and
    fro asking why they had such specific requirements, never got a good
    answer and they wouldn't consider changing it either.

    Westpac's site was more sensible, they brought it online just as I was
    leaving :/

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 30, 2003
  16. Mark.

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > The link to the Business Services is from www.nz.anz.com...so I assume
    > it is available to NZers. You'd have to ask. But they clearly do
    > offer some sort of online forex service....though i have no idea what
    > the services are or what requirements they may have to access it.

    If you go to anz.com and try to logg in using as a NZ customer you get an
    error - you need to go to anz.com/nz/ at least I have to but at that
    address there isn't any mention of any forex service that I could find.

    >>> They also support almost any recent version of any browser:

    >> That doesn't apply to printing out bank statments using Mozzila.

    > ?
    >
    > I can print my transactions OK. Not sure what you mean.

    Using Mozilla or Firebird (under windows) you cannot adjust the font size
    when printing out statments (but you can print them out). While you can
    change the font displayed the printed version remains the same which is a
    bit of a pain as it prints out in quite a large font size. This doesn't
    appear to be a promblem in IE and Netscape and may be Opera (?) Changing
    the user agent doesn't solve the problem. There have been other posts
    about this in the past so it's not just me that appears to have this
    probem. There doesn't appear to a solution either as I assume from what
    other people have said that's it's more to do with how the pages are
    written and the fact that they try to appear to be IE only friendly.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 1, 2003
  17. Mark.

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:02:33 +0000, Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > I can print my transactions OK. Not sure what you mean.
    > Using Mozilla or Firebird (under windows) you cannot adjust the font size
    > when printing out statments (but you can print them out). While you can
    > change the font displayed the printed version remains the same which is a
    > bit of a pain as it prints out in quite a large font size. This doesn't
    > appear to be a promblem in IE and Netscape and may be Opera (?) Changing
    > the user agent doesn't solve the problem. There have been other posts
    > about this in the past so it's not just me that appears to have this
    > probem. There doesn't appear to a solution either as I assume from what
    > other people have said that's it's more to do with how the pages are
    > written and the fact that they try to appear to be IE only friendly.

    Would a user stylesheet fix that?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 1, 2003
  18. Mark.

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:02:33 +0000, Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> I can print my transactions OK. Not sure what you mean.
    >> Using Mozilla or Firebird (under windows) you cannot adjust the font
    >> size when printing out statments (but you can print them out). While
    >> you can change the font displayed the printed version remains the
    >> same which is a bit of a pain as it prints out in quite a large font
    >> size. This doesn't appear to be a promblem in IE and Netscape and
    >> may be Opera (?) Changing the user agent doesn't solve the problem.
    >> There have been other posts about this in the past so it's not just
    >> me that appears to have this probem. There doesn't appear to a
    >> solution either as I assume from what other people have said that's
    >> it's more to do with how the pages are written and the fact that they
    >> try to appear to be IE only friendly.

    > Would a user stylesheet fix that?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    I guess it would as I tried to alter the defaults in the browser it's self
    which did work - but of course it changed every website.

    OK, I've started to have a bit of a look, see regarding a user style sheet
    (never *used* one before) sounds like a good idea assuming you can make one
    work for one site only ?

    Thanks for the idea, i'll look into it more tonight.

    Chris

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 1, 2003
  19. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    [snip]
    > If you go to anz.com and try to logg in using as a NZ customer you
    > get an error - you need to go to anz.com/nz/ at least I have to but
    > at that address there isn't any mention of any forex service that I
    > could find.

    On the blue left-hand panel there is a button 'International Services' click
    this to discover what you can do.
    [snip]

    Bryan Souster, Oct 1, 2003
  20. Mark.

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "Bryan Souster" <> wrote in

    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> If you go to anz.com and try to logg in using as a NZ customer you
    >> get an error - you need to go to anz.com/nz/ at least I have to but
    >> at that address there isn't any mention of any forex service that I
    >> could find.

    > On the blue left-hand panel there is a button 'International Services'
    > click this to discover what you can do.
    > [snip]

    Thanks, found it. I noticed the other day the web site looked different,
    guess I was just in to much of a hurry to notice what was new.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 1, 2003