Best Non-HP Photo Printer w/ LCD and Card Slots?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John S., Jan 8, 2004.

  1. John S.

    John S. Guest

    Hello,

    I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    random lines near the 4" edges.

    So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    ability to zoom and crop.

    Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?

    TIA,
    John

    John S., Jan 8, 2004

  2. You may have gotten a bad individual printer.
    I have the 7660 too, and it's just fine.

    Rune Austefjord, Jan 8, 2004

  3. John S.

    scott Guest

    In article <>,
    (John S.) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    > the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    > much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    > creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    > pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    > random lines near the 4" edges.
    >
    > So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    > recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    > screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    > ability to zoom and crop.
    >
    > Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?
    >
    > TIA,
    > John

    I have a Canon i960 and am very pleased with it. Coupled with my
    G5 ... it's a winner! I use Photoshop, and again, the results are supurb!

    You know, I noticed the same thing with a friend of mine's HP - I was
    with her when we saw the sales demo and when she started to print
    photos they were obviously inferior. We went back and took some
    comparison (from the demo printer) samples home. She then went
    to the helpline and was pretty much ignored.

    She's now very happy with her new i960, too.

    scott, Jan 8, 2004
  4. John S.

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    John S. <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    >the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    >much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    >creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    >pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    >random lines near the 4" edges.
    >
    >So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    >recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    >screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    >ability to zoom and crop.
    >
    >Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?

    I have one, and have just spent the holiday season taking and printing
    digital photos using it. Some in direct mode (card slot/LCD), some using
    the computer (mainly for cropping flexibility, red-eye removal, and
    adjustment of exposure errors). The print quality is superb, as is the
    convenience of use and economy of ink replenishment.

    Mike S., Jan 8, 2004
  5. On 8 Jan 2004 07:52:02 -0800, (John S.) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    >the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    >much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    >creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    >pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    >random lines near the 4" edges.
    >
    >So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    >recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    >screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    >ability to zoom and crop.
    >
    >Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?
    >
    >TIA,
    >John

    Epson Photosmart. I have a 785epx came with a slot and reader (pcmcia
    card slot and adapter) and the LCD was an option. I am sure this
    protiner has been superceded by now, but the Epson's rate very highly
    on their output quality.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Jan 8, 2004
  6. John S.

    Guest

    John S. <> wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    > the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    > much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    > creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    > pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    > random lines near the 4" edges.

    > So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    > recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    > screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    > ability to zoom and crop.

    > Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?

    No, but I consider such printers (any brand) for lazy people.
    The bottom line is simple. If you want the most vibrant photos
    from a printer, you need to alter them in a photo editing package
    before you print them. This applies to all cameras and all printers.
    Typically, contrast needs to be adjusted and sometimes brightness
    and color saturation. When you print directly from a memory card,
    the best you can hope for is a crappy image.

    , Jan 8, 2004
  7. John S.

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    John S. wrote:

    > I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    > the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    > much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    > creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    > pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    > random lines near the 4" edges.

    You got a defective model. Get it replaced.
    There is NOTHING as good as the 7660
    in that price range.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 8, 2004
  8. John S.

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    wrote:

    > No, but I consider such printers (any brand) for lazy people.
    > The bottom line is simple. If you want the most vibrant photos
    > from a printer, you need to alter them in a photo editing package
    > before you print them. This applies to all cameras and all printers.
    > Typically, contrast needs to be adjusted and sometimes brightness
    > and color saturation. When you print directly from a memory card,
    > the best you can hope for is a crappy image.

    Well, you can edit your photo, save it on a CF via card reader
    and then print it through the CF slot anytime you need to, without
    turning on the computer. I do that sometimes with my HP7960.

    Also, I have a very handy HP130 (which also has a CF slot) with
    a car battery adapter. On location, it beats Polaroid for instant proofs
    hands down! :) It also prints 6x4 much faster than a color Polaroid.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 9, 2004
  9. John S.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:

    > John S. <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,

    >>I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    >>the print quality. Somehow the display model in the store seemed to do
    >>much better prints... my 7660 does okay except on "flesh tones"... on
    >>creme or biege colors you can really notice the lines left by each
    >>pass of the ink cartridge. Also, on borderless 4x6's, there are a few
    >>random lines near the 4" edges.

    >>So, I'm planning to exchange it for a different brand. Can anybody
    >>recommend a good non-HP photo printer? Critical on the HP were the LCD
    >>screen, the card slots (direct printing w/o a computer), and the
    >>ability to zoom and crop.

    >>Does anybody have a Canon i900D? How do you like that model?

    > No, but I consider such printers (any brand) for lazy people.
    > The bottom line is simple. If you want the most vibrant photos
    > from a printer, you need to alter them in a photo editing package
    > before you print them. This applies to all cameras and all printers.
    > Typically, contrast needs to be adjusted and sometimes brightness
    > and color saturation. When you print directly from a memory card,
    > the best you can hope for is a crappy image.

    ONLY if the original image is crappy, and you have a printer with crappy
    software.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 9, 2004
  10. John S.

    Jeffrey Guest

    Before replacing the printer, I would play arround with the settings and or
    software combinations. I would also use the "Tool" Section on the driver to
    clean the inkjets.

    I recently bought the lower priced Photosmart HP7260 model (it uses the
    same print cartridges except that you cannot use the Photogrey, and cannot
    use the Photo Colour cartridge at the same time as the Black Cartidge).

    The 7260 prints great when using Adobe PS Elements or Adobe PS 7.0, but
    gave crappy colour when using Cannon's PhotoRecord (that came with my Cannon
    300D) even though that programe had previously printed superior on my older
    Epson 760 (than using the Adobe Programmes).

    I suspect that the problem may be simply one of colour managment.

    I noticed in the colour management section on the HP Printer Driver, you can
    swap between Adobe RGB and sRGB (my default was sRGB).

    Before buying the 7260 I looked into which printer that I should buy, and
    unfortunately, the more I looked, the more confused that I became. From the
    research that I did do, I lent towards the HP technology (particulrly
    PhotoRT4), but only just. I then chose the 7260 because of price (it
    turned out to be only AUD$50 more expensive then the price of the
    replacement cartridges, there was not too much risk involved).

    As stated above, I am very pleased with the results of the 7260. I would
    recommend that you do play around with colour management, and to clean the
    injets. You should not be able to see any lines. You should also be able
    to print out test patterns to ensure that all the injects are working.

    Regards

    Jeffrey

    PS. I have removed my real email address from this post. I unfortunately
    used the correct one on my first post yestereday (Adobe RGB v sRGB - thanks
    for all the posted replies), but also received 16 virus infected emails!

    Jeffrey, Jan 9, 2004
  11. John S.

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Jeffrey wrote:

    > I recently bought the lower priced Photosmart HP7260 model (it uses
    > the same print cartridges except that you cannot use the Photogrey,
    > and cannot use the Photo Colour cartridge at the same time as the
    > Black Cartidge).

    No loss, as the photogrey cartridge ALSO contains black ink.
    The hassle of switching cartridges is just a minor inconvenience,
    and if you use your printer ONLY for photos (I use a crappy
    second printer for B&W text), you will never have to do it. BTW,
    it's not possible to have black and photogrey together even on my
    7960.

    > I noticed in the colour management section on the HP Printer Driver,
    > you can swap between Adobe RGB and sRGB (my default was sRGB).

    Actually I consider that one of the best features of the HP Photosmarts,
    especially since my digicamera (D100) can handle Adobe RGB.
    True WYSIWYG...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 9, 2004
  12. John S.

    John Horner Guest

    "John S." <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently bought a HP Photosmart 7660 printer and I'm disappointed in
    > the print quality.

    Are you using HP Premium Photo Paper? Print quality is very dependent on
    paper/ink/printer compatibility. I get much better results on my HP 7550
    with HP paper than I do with Kodak Photo Paper.

    John

    John Horner, Jan 12, 2004