    low light capability. I am considering Sanyo Xacti C6, but wanna see if
    there's anything else out there worth considering. (BTW, I tried a Kodak
    V550 and wasn't all that impressed with it.) Thanks in advance.
    Zen Cohen, Nov 26, 2005

  2. The latest Panasonic Lumix models, like the FX9 and LX1, have higher
    sensitivity CCDs in live mode (more pixels are used for live capture), so
    they are especially good for low light video clips - and of course for low
    light composition when shooting stills.

    I recently tested the Nikon CoolPix S2 for a UK magazine and compared its
    low light shooting capability with that of the FX9 and the difference was
    staggering (in favour of the FX9).

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Zen Cohen

    Tony Guest

    Ian, would you know how this stacks up to the Canon S2 IS movie mode?

    Tony, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Zen Cohen

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:44:50 GMT, "Zen Cohen" <> wrote:

    > I shoot both stills and video but want the convenience of both in a small
    > unit. Any suggestions on compact (ie, pocketable) cam with really good movie
    > mode? Prefer mpeg-4, optical zoom while shooting video and reasonably good
    > low light capability. I am considering Sanyo Xacti C6, but wanna see if
    > there's anything else out there worth considering. (BTW, I tried a Kodak
    > V550 and wasn't all that impressed with it.) Thanks in advance.

    Canon S2 IS has the best movie mode that I have seen.
    , Nov 26, 2005
  5. Sorry, I've not yet tested the Canon.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Zen Cohen

    John H Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:08:30 GMT, "Digital Photography Now"
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry, I've not yet tested the Canon.
    >
    >Ian
    >
    >Digital Photography Now
    >http://dpnow.com

    I'll throw a thumb's up in for the Canon. It shoots in 640 x
    480 at 30 fps continuous up to card capacity or one gig whichever
    comes first. Two big pluses are that the power zoom works while in
    movie mode, while not making a lot of racket, and the movie mode is
    instantly available at any time with one click of your right thumb.
    You can instantly switch from movie mode to full resolution stills and
    back. On the negative side the auto focus can do some hunting in
    under certain conditions. I was shooting big surf at dawn last week
    and had to turn to the sunrise to jolt the auto focus into working.
    The light level and contrast were low though.

    John H

    John H, Nov 28, 2005