    there any others worth considering? Ideally it would have MPEG4, optical
    zoom while in movie mode, good low light capability, large LCD, and
    small/easy to handle. Thanks.
    Zen Cohen, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Zen Cohen <> wrote:
    : I've tried a number of ultracompact cams with VGA 30 fps movie mode
    : (Casio EX-Z750, Kodak V550, Canon SD400, haven't tried the Sony DSC-M1
    : yet) and am not that impressed with any enough to replace my year-old
    : Sony DSC-P100. Are there any others worth considering? Ideally it
    : would have MPEG4, optical zoom while in movie mode, good low light
    : capability, large LCD, and small/easy to handle. Thanks.

    Unfortunately movie mode on P&S cameras is more of a gimick for the
    not-too-picky, not ment to be a replacement for a dedicated video camera.
    Just as a snapshot mode on a digital camcorder is not likely to give much
    competition to my DSLR. Until the day that they make a camcorder that has
    replaceable optics, and 6+mp resolution in still shot mode, it is unlikely
    that a true combination unit will be practical. They are getting closer
    and closer to an all in one machine, but not yet.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Zen Cohen

    per Guest

    The Canon S2IS is the one to beat. Has stereo sound and contineous image
    stabilization and can zoom smothly and silently while filming.
    Size is the problem, but it should be interesting enough for a comparison of
    what is possible with the current state of art.

    per, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Zen Cohen

    Guest

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:03:04 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum <> wrote:

    > Unfortunately movie mode on P&S cameras is more of a gimick for the
    > not-too-picky, not ment to be a replacement for a dedicated video camera.
    > Just as a snapshot mode on a digital camcorder is not likely to give much
    > competition to my DSLR. Until the day that they make a camcorder that has
    > replaceable optics, and 6+mp resolution in still shot mode, it is unlikely
    > that a true combination unit will be practical. They are getting closer
    > and closer to an all in one machine, but not yet.

    I'd suggest you have a look at the Canon S2 IS. It has an excellent movie mode and also takes very
    good still images.
    , Sep 3, 2005
  5. Zen Cohen

    Lin Chung Guest

    Zen Cohen wrote:
    > I've tried a number of ultracompact cams with VGA 30 fps movie mode (Casio
    > EX-Z750, Kodak V550, Canon SD400, haven't tried the Sony DSC-M1 yet) and
    > am not that impressed with any enough to replace my year-old Sony
    > DSC-P100. Are there any others worth considering? Ideally it would have
    > MPEG4, optical zoom while in movie mode, good low light capability, large
    > LCD, and small/easy to handle. Thanks

    I have been searching round for the same thing!

    Up to yesterday, the best MPEG-4 is from Sanyo C4 and C5. Yes, dual purpose
    or 'hybrid' cameras. Download the sample clips from their reviews in
    Steve's Digicam site. Be prepared for a surprise!! They are like coming
    from a miniDV.

    We are talking about pocket sized cameras......OK, palm sized. Canon S2 IS
    is good but is too bulky for me. So, further search found a well regarded
    one, Casio Z750. But.... The pool with the sprinkler looked like water
    falling on black *ink*! Also the same unreal image was painfully obvious in
    that clip where there are swans (?ducks) sauntering about. It appeared to
    be consistent with the plastiky look in some of its still pictures. On the
    other hand, P505 from the same stable looks much better, but the colours are
    just too saturated, and worst of all, the skin tone of the Japanese model is
    far too yellow! However, the clip on the two penguins is superb, maybe
    because there is hardly any red/yellow in there. That from Samsung i5 on a
    scene in a backyard is also superb. Here, it has the benefit of the Zoran
    COACH signal processor (V700 has it too, but oddly it is absolutely dire --
    all Samsung models from V700 on have this Camera On A CHip processor). All
    the above mentioned are MPEG-4 except the Canon S2 IS's, which is Motion
    JPEG. Now, I have yet to find a Motion JPEG satisfactory, they make my eyes
    ache with all those flickering ('choppy'), except Sony P150, Fuji E550 (just
    OK), Panasonic LX-1, and of course the bulky Canon.

    The acceptable MPEG-4 in pocketable cameras for me form the *ones I have
    examined* are: Casio P505, Samsung i5. Until, that is, I came across the
    clips from the two Sanyo's. Still photos from these two are also very good,
    not de-noised to the extent that details are erased. When one examinines
    the still photos, it is at once obvious which one is superior. Compare
    these photos to those from Canon S70, e.g. the rack of canoes on the beach
    (same scene from the two on steves-digicam.com), which look like all the
    different colours in the photo are *painted* in acrylic paints -- totally
    unacceptable.

    Just before then, my attention was drawn to JVC GZ-MC500. Its (MPEG-2)
    colours, sharpness are good, and its still photos (up to 5MB) are very
    good.....alright, maybe a tad too saturated and sharpened. It has one
    advantage over the Sanyos, videos shot indoor in the evening with just one
    60W light in the room are acceptable (just), in where the Sanyos
    are "dreadful" as one user described.

    All the clips mentioned can be located, using the search engine, on
    steves-digicam.com, the respective forums on dpreviews.com, or
    dcresource.com.

    --
    Lin Chung
    [Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

    ..
    Lin Chung, Sep 3, 2005
  6. Zen Cohen

    Lin Chung Guest

    Lin Chung wrote:
    > Zen Cohen wrote:
    > > I've tried a number of ultracompact cams with VGA 30 fps...

    > I have been searching round for the same thing!
    > ...my attention was drawn to JVC GZ-MC500. Its (MPEG-2)
    > colours, sharpness are good, and its still photos (up to 5MB) are very
    > good.....alright, maybe a tad too saturated and sharpened. It has one
    > advantage over the Sanyos, videos shot indoor in the evening with just one
    > 60W light in the room are acceptable (just), in where the Sanyos are
    > "dreadful" as one user described.

    So as to arrive at a more natural conclusion, I should have added:
    Alas, C4 is selling, together with a 1GB SD card, for £230, and the MC500?
    £800.

    Lin Chung, Sep 4, 2005
  7. Zen Cohen

    Zen Cohen Guest

    "Lin Chung" <> wrote in message

    > I have been searching round for the same thing!
    >
    > Up to yesterday, the best MPEG-4 is from Sanyo C4 and C5. Yes, dual
    > purpose
    > or 'hybrid' cameras. Download the sample clips from their reviews in
    > Steve's Digicam site. Be prepared for a surprise!! They are like coming
    > from a miniDV.

    Thanks to those who replied and especially Lin Chung. After reading your
    comments and Steve's review, I am seriously considering the C5.
    Zen Cohen, Sep 5, 2005
  8. Zen Cohen

    Clark Martin Guest

    In article <V0aSe.223067$>,
    "Zen Cohen" <> wrote:

    > I've tried a number of ultracompact cams with VGA 30 fps movie mode (Casio
    > EX-Z750, Kodak V550, Canon SD400, haven't tried the Sony DSC-M1 yet) and am
    > not that impressed with any enough to replace my year-old Sony DSC-P100. Are
    > there any others worth considering? Ideally it would have MPEG4, optical
    > zoom while in movie mode, good low light capability, large LCD, and
    > small/easy to handle. Thanks.

    I was impressed with my Konica Minolta Z5. It does 640x480 at 30fps.
    Up to 30 continuous minutes with a 2Gb SD card. Mind you this is in
    comparison to my Olympus D490Z which did 15s max at 320x240. The sound
    is pretty good considering it's from a little condenser mic behind a
    tiny hole.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin, Sep 9, 2005
  9. Zen Cohen

    Guest

    Randy Berbaum wrote:
    > Unfortunately movie mode on P&S cameras is more of a gimick for the
    > not-too-picky, not ment to be a replacement for a dedicated video camera.

    But the current video cameras use out of date technologies. E.g.:

    Flat panel TV are becoming more pupolar than CRT. Flat panel works
    better with progressive signal. But most current video cameras still
    shoot interlaced
    only.

    Flash memory are becoming larger capacity and higher speed. But most
    current video cameras still use mechanical tape.

    DV does not use motion compression. Even very simple motion compression
    can result in lower bit rate and better picture quality. But most
    current video cameras do not use MPEG.

    Computer processors are becoming faster. Image sensor resolution is
    increasing. But most current video cameras can not shoot high
    resolution video, not beyond 640x480 (or 720x480 anamorphic), not to
    mention 1280x960.

    > They are getting closer and closer to an all in one machine, but not yet.

    I don't want an all in one, but a video camera that uses new
    technology. If they don't make it that way, then I have to look at
    digital cameras that have video capability.
    , Sep 15, 2005