    doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
    Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?

    Beachcomber

    Beachcomber, Dec 12, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
    > of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
    > remote locations?
    >
    > Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
    > routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
    > with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
    > inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
    > concern.
    >
    > I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
    > Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
    > doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
    > Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?
    >
    > Beachcomber

    considering the restrictions you placed on the criteria... i'd say yahoo
    would work. as for net meeting, it doesn't care for NAT at all... and as
    you said, it's not reliable. i've found yahoo works in just about all
    circumstances and i've set this up for an office or two... offices that
    wanted to "do it on the cheap".

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Dec 12, 2003

  3. "Beachcomber" <> wrote in message
    > What, in your opinion, is the most economical, but reliable, method
    > of doing a 2-way videoconference between businesses in different
    > remote locations?
    >
    > Both sites have high speed access through cable broadband, static IPs,
    > routers with NAT, firewall software, and late model PC's configured
    > with the latest version of Internet Explorer, speakers, mics, and an
    > inexpensive USB ball video cam. Security encryption is not a major
    > concern.
    >
    > I have installed Microsoft Net Meeting on one of the local PC's, but
    > Microsolf's server never seems to be available and the whole scheme
    > doesn't seem to be reliable. Would I have better luck with AOL or
    > Yahoo for video conferencing or do I need something more robust?

    Can't really comment about the software that you're planning to use, but
    it's probably worth pointing out that IP video conferencing over the
    unregulated Internet generally produces pretty poor frame rates (you're
    limited to the lowest bandwidth at any point in the link, and potentially
    vulnerable to high packet loss)

    http://www.videocentric.co.uk has some information & links that you might
    find useful (declaration of interest: I'm unconnected with the company, but
    know the Tech. Director. Very knowledgeable chap)

    Most "proper" installations still use dedicated ISDN lines, where you have a
    guaranteed level of service.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Hint:
    From my following of the various hack/crack news groups,
    the tool "Netmeeting" is commonly referred to as "A sucking
    chest wound". No amount of band-aids will be sufficient to
    repair the damage to your computer security once this tool
    is in use.

    Also, due to Netmeeting's use of dynamic port assignments,
    it does not work so well behind a NAT.

    Enjoy
    Mangled & Munged

    Mangled&Munged, Dec 12, 2003
  5. "Mangled&Munged" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Hint:
    > From my following of the various hack/crack news groups,
    > the tool "Netmeeting" is commonly referred to as "A sucking
    > chest wound". No amount of band-aids will be sufficient to
    > repair the damage to your computer security once this tool
    > is in use.

    No matter what information imparted - that's a beautifully emotive phrase
    ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Beachcomber

    FireFighter Guest

    Beachcomber wrote:

    You can try Eyeball chat.

    http://www.eyeballchat.com/

    --
    FiRe

    "Shut up brain,or I'll stab ya with a Q-tip"
    Homer J.Simpson

    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

    www.Station60.com

    FireFighter, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Beachcomber

    Abhijit Guest

    Hi,

    One prof in our school is working on this topic and has developed a
    SIP base videoconferencing tool. This videoconferencing client is
    available for free you can download the client at ncl.cgu.edu.

    Well, this is a NSF supported project for Internet2, but worth looking
    if you are really serious about videoconferencing as such.

    Abhijit.
    School of Information Science,
    CGU,CA,USA

    Abhijit, Dec 14, 2003