Best MACRO lens for Nikon D100?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Laohu, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Laohu

    Laohu Guest

    Saturday 27 December 2003 19:53 CST

    Hi!

    I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start photographing a
    bunch of old family photos to have them digitally available. What macro
    lens do you think I need for this purpose? I want to be sure that it is a
    G- or D-type lens so I can take advantage of all the features of the D100.
    Who carries such an item?

    Thanx in advance for your attention,

    laohu

    Laohu, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Laohu

    [BnH] Guest

    Nikon only have around 4 micro lenses.
    3 primes, 1 zoom. 60, 105, 200 and 70-180.

    If you are digitising old family photo, why don't you use a scanner?
    MUCH cheaper than the cheapest micro range + does the job better than using
    a DSLR to snap a printed photos.
    and btw .. most of them are still not G lens.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Dec 27, 2003

  3. Laohu

    Gavin Cato Guest

    I think a scanner would be better, but if you must - the 60mm f/2.8 macro
    lens would be the go.

    Gav

    Gavin Cato, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Laohu

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Laohu wrote:

    > I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
    > photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
    > available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
    > want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
    > advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an item?
    >

    > Thanx in advance for your attention,

    The Micro 60mm is your best option.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Laohu

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Laohu" <> writes:
    > I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
    > photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
    > available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
    > want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
    > advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an
    > item?

    Use a scanner if you can.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Laohu wrote:

    > > I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
    > > photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
    > > available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
    > > want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
    > > advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an item?

    The Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G is an excellent lens. Very sharp and cost effective.
    The 105 micro is also highly thought of and might give you better working
    disance.

    However, you will find that a macro lens isn't really at it's best when
    doing flat work. If all you are doing is photographing photographs, you
    would be far better off spending your $350 on a flatbed scanner.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Dec 28, 2003