Best Mac gaming mouse?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. I've used the MS Habu (along with USB Overdrive as it has no Mac native
    driver) for quite a while, and while happy... I'm not exactly
    overwhelmed, either.
    It's a very comfy mouse, precise, it's two side buttons are lie right
    under my thumb, it has a bare minimum of user-configurable buttons for
    my tastes - four (ok - for most people it has seven buttons). I'm not
    counting the two little round buttons topside, just behind the
    scrollwheel cause in OSX it's impossible to get them to not change mouse
    DPI as well as perform other functions (unless I'm missing something -
    feel free to correct me :) ). Nor do I count the scrollwheel click as
    IME it's too easy to inadvertently perform a scrollwheel up/down + click
    (I have mapped to page up/down) or vice versa.

    I'm now trying out the Razer Deathadder which has a Mac driver
    available, and it's very like the Habu, except there are no topside DPI
    up and down buttons. I now must lose my page up/down capability in
    favour of DPI changing via scrollwheel up/down + click. A nice little on
    screen HUD appears when you do this, but it's too fine grained to make
    it useful in most situations (cause you have to click and scroll several
    times to get a major change in DPI, and by that time you've lost your
    target). You can instead assign buttons to DPI up or down, but no way
    will I give up my two side buttons (the only possible candidates) for
    this.
    The Mac Razer driver also seems to give better performance than USB
    Overdrive (I had tried it out for the first day with only USBO) - or am
    I not properly matching the sentsitivity settings in both drivers?
    Either way my Deathadder is seems slightly more percise and tracks a
    tiny bit better with it's own driver.

    What I really want is a Habu with Mac drivers/Deathadder with two extra
    buttons. It couldn't hurt to have extra weights I can add to the mouse
    as some gaming models do. Both the Habu and Deathadder are a touch light
    for my tastes. A tiltable scrollwheel would also be handy to have.
    However I'm not keen to give up the comfy ergonomic design of these two
    similar Razer mice. I can use either for hourse on end and not
    experience any hand cramp or stiffness :)

    So - any advice on where to go from here?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 16, 2008