Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Hey there.

    I need a replacement for my expensive to run Epson Stylus Color 740
    which has, BTW, been an outstanding performer for over six years needing
    only one service (cleaning built up of gunk inside printer, nothing
    broke) in all that time - and that was only six months ago!
    Trouble is it's very expensive to replace it's old style three colour
    ink cartridge, and the black ink cartridge which is almost as expensive.

    I really need a minimum of a four colour inkjet with separate cartridges
    for each colour a must, that can handle A4 text and the occasional photo
    print with equal aplomb. Speed doesn't matter, but I must be able to
    share it between Mac (8.6 - 9.x and 10.3.5 if possible, but I'll settle
    for Mac OS X only) and PCs.

    I do not need direct from memory card or digital camera printing, though
    I'd likely come to appreciate the benefits of printing directly onto
    CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but that is not essential by any means.

    So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    Wow have prices ever come down!).

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 18, 2004

  2. In article <1glvlr7.dyb4gj1vrxugmN%> in nz.comp
    on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:42:57 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    <> says...

    > So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    > Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    > will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    > Wow have prices ever come down!).

    If prices have come down almost certainly so has longevity. The $149
    printer you can buy at the bottom end of the market is almost certainly
    engineered to be thrown away rather than repaired.
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Rick Ward Guest

    The Canon Pixma ip3000 has been reviewed quite well...

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Hey there.
    >
    > I need a replacement for my expensive to run Epson Stylus Color 740
    > which has, BTW, been an outstanding performer for over six years needing
    > only one service (cleaning built up of gunk inside printer, nothing
    > broke) in all that time - and that was only six months ago!
    > Trouble is it's very expensive to replace it's old style three colour
    > ink cartridge, and the black ink cartridge which is almost as expensive.
    >
    > I really need a minimum of a four colour inkjet with separate cartridges
    > for each colour a must, that can handle A4 text and the occasional photo
    > print with equal aplomb. Speed doesn't matter, but I must be able to
    > share it between Mac (8.6 - 9.x and 10.3.5 if possible, but I'll settle
    > for Mac OS X only) and PCs.
    >
    > I do not need direct from memory card or digital camera printing, though
    > I'd likely come to appreciate the benefits of printing directly onto
    > CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but that is not essential by any means.
    >
    > So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    > Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    > will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    > Wow have prices ever come down!).
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    News==----

    Newsgroups
    Rick Ward, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo! Guest

    Genet) wrote:

    >Hey there.
    >
    >I need a replacement for my expensive to run Epson Stylus Color 740
    >which has, BTW, been an outstanding performer for over six years needing
    >only one service (cleaning built up of gunk inside printer, nothing
    >broke) in all that time - and that was only six months ago!
    >Trouble is it's very expensive to replace it's old style three colour
    >ink cartridge, and the black ink cartridge which is almost as expensive.
    >
    >I really need a minimum of a four colour inkjet with separate cartridges
    >for each colour a must, that can handle A4 text and the occasional photo
    >print with equal aplomb. Speed doesn't matter, but I must be able to
    >share it between Mac (8.6 - 9.x and 10.3.5 if possible, but I'll settle
    >for Mac OS X only) and PCs.
    >
    >I do not need direct from memory card or digital camera printing, though
    >I'd likely come to appreciate the benefits of printing directly onto
    >CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but that is not essential by any means.
    >
    >So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    >Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    >will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    >Wow have prices ever come down!).
    >
    >TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    There is ONlY one Printer, thats the Epson R210.

    You could also use far cheaper Ink Tanks for the Epson 740, like the Jet Tec
    ones made in the UK at 1/2 the price here, and even the R210..
    Geronimo!, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:18:34 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <1glvlr7.dyb4gj1vrxugmN%> in nz.comp
    >on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:42:57 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    ><> says...
    >
    >> So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    >> Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    >> will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    >> Wow have prices ever come down!).

    >If prices have come down almost certainly so has longevity. The $149
    >printer you can buy at the bottom end of the market is almost certainly
    >engineered to be thrown away rather than repaired.

    Yes and with the dearest Ink costs.

    Gee Patrick why are you so THICK..
    Geronimo!, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo! Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:37:24 +1300, "Rick Ward" <> wrote:

    >The Canon Pixma ip3000 has been reviewed quite well...

    A utter Crap Bubble jet that does not print on CD's

    Plus the print head don't last and cost heaps to replace..

    Yes you must be joking..

    Geronimo!, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    John Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:04:33 +1300, Geronimo! wrote:

    > You could also use far cheaper Ink Tanks for the Epson 740, like the Jet Tec
    > ones made in the UK at 1/2 the price here, and even the R210..

    I recall you mentioning that the Jet Tec cartridges couldn't be used
    with the Epson R210 because the ink used wasn't suitable for New
    Zealand conditions?
    Are you now saying that it's okay to use the Jet Tec replacement
    cartridges in the Epson R210?
    If this is the case, where is the best place to purchase?

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:28:22 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:04:33 +1300, Geronimo! wrote:
    >
    >> You could also use far cheaper Ink Tanks for the Epson 740, like the Jet Tec
    >> ones made in the UK at 1/2 the price here, and even the R210..

    >I recall you mentioning that the Jet Tec cartridges couldn't be used
    >with the Epson R210 because the ink used wasn't suitable for New
    >Zealand conditions?

    No this is what Epson stated that the R200 Ink was not the same as the R210,
    and was developed for NZ conditions, also must be the same as OZZ as they use
    the Same Ink Tanks.

    I still have the E-mail from Epson to prove this.

    >Are you now saying that it's okay to use the Jet Tec replacement
    >cartridges in the Epson R210?
    >If this is the case, where is the best place to purchase?

    No I am sating what Jet Tec Advertise, they list Inks for the R210.

    >Regards,
    >John.

    Jet Tec does make Ink Tanks for the R210, and has the Queens Award for them
    as they have 30% more Ink..

    Only here

    http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91
    Geronimo, Oct 19, 2004
  9. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:06:27 +1300, Geronimo! <> says...
    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:18:34 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <1glvlr7.dyb4gj1vrxugmN%> in nz.comp
    > >on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:42:57 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    > ><> says...
    > >
    > >> So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    > >> Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    > >> will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    > >> Wow have prices ever come down!).

    > >If prices have come down almost certainly so has longevity. The $149
    > >printer you can buy at the bottom end of the market is almost certainly
    > >engineered to be thrown away rather than repaired.

    > Yes and with the dearest Ink costs.
    >
    > Gee Patrick why are you so THICK..

    Who's thick? Has your killfile mysteriously stopped working?
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:06:27 +1300, Geronimo! <> says...
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:18:34 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In article <1glvlr7.dyb4gj1vrxugmN%> in nz.comp
    >>>on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:42:57 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet
    >>><> says...

    >>>If prices have come down almost certainly so has longevity. The $149
    >>>printer you can buy at the bottom end of the market is almost certainly
    >>>engineered to be thrown away rather than repaired.

    >>Yes and with the dearest Ink costs.
    >>
    >>Gee Patrick why are you so THICK..

    > Who's thick? Has your killfile mysteriously stopped working?

    hehehe, Roger has slipped in his own dribble..

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    John Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:27:24 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:28:22 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:04:33 +1300, Geronimo! wrote:
    >>
    >>> You could also use far cheaper Ink Tanks for the Epson 740, like the Jet Tec
    >>> ones made in the UK at 1/2 the price here, and even the R210..

    >>I recall you mentioning that the Jet Tec cartridges couldn't be used
    >>with the Epson R210 because the ink used wasn't suitable for New
    >>Zealand conditions?

    > No this is what Epson stated that the R200 Ink was not the same as the R210,
    > and was developed for NZ conditions, also must be the same as OZZ as they use
    > the Same Ink Tanks.
    >

    > I still have the E-mail from Epson to prove this.
    >
    >>Are you now saying that it's okay to use the Jet Tec replacement
    >>cartridges in the Epson R210?
    >>If this is the case, where is the best place to purchase?

    > No I am sating what Jet Tec Advertise, they list Inks for the R210.
    >
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > Jet Tec does make Ink Tanks for the R210, and has the Queens Award for them
    > as they have 30% more Ink..
    >
    > Only here
    >
    > http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91

    Thanks - The price, plus the added bonus of 30% more ink is making me
    interested. Have you tried these cartridges in your Epson R210, and if
    so, how do they compare with the original Epson ink cartridge?

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:27:35 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:27:24 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    >>>I recall you mentioning that the Jet Tec cartridges couldn't be used
    >>>with the Epson R210 because the ink used wasn't suitable for New
    >>>Zealand conditions?

    >> No this is what Epson stated that the R200 Ink was not the same as the R210,
    >> and was developed for NZ conditions, also must be the same as OZZ as they use
    >> the Same Ink Tanks.
    >>

    >> I still have the E-mail from Epson to prove this.
    >>
    >>>Are you now saying that it's okay to use the Jet Tec replacement
    >>>cartridges in the Epson R210?
    >>>If this is the case, where is the best place to purchase?

    >> No I am sating what Jet Tec Advertise, they list Inks for the R210.
    >>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John.

    >> Jet Tec does make Ink Tanks for the R210, and has the Queens Award for them
    >> as they have 30% more Ink..
    >>
    >> Only here
    >>
    >> http://computerone.co.nz/store/customer/home.php?cat=91

    >Thanks - The price, plus the added bonus of 30% more ink is making me
    >interested. Have you tried these cartridges in your Epson R210, and if
    >so, how do they compare with the original Epson ink cartridge?
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Not yet, but will after my current supply is run out..

    Have a look on the UK Ink Tec web site..
    Geronimo, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Geronimo! <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:42:57 +1300, (Jamie Kahn
    > Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Hey there.
    > >
    > >I need a replacement for my expensive to run Epson Stylus Color 740
    > >which has, BTW, been an outstanding performer for over six years needing
    > >only one service (cleaning built up of gunk inside printer, nothing
    > >broke) in all that time - and that was only six months ago!
    > >Trouble is it's very expensive to replace it's old style three colour
    > >ink cartridge, and the black ink cartridge which is almost as expensive.
    > >
    > >I really need a minimum of a four colour inkjet with separate cartridges
    > >for each colour a must, that can handle A4 text and the occasional photo
    > >print with equal aplomb. Speed doesn't matter, but I must be able to
    > >share it between Mac (8.6 - 9.x and 10.3.5 if possible, but I'll settle
    > >for Mac OS X only) and PCs.
    > >
    > >I do not need direct from memory card or digital camera printing, though
    > >I'd likely come to appreciate the benefits of printing directly onto
    > >CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, but that is not essential by any means.
    > >
    > >So, to summarise - separate ink cartridges, A4 text and photo quality,
    > >Mac/PC and relatively low cost (though it looks like almost anything
    > >will be cheaper than the NZD$600+ I originally paid for my lovely 740.
    > >Wow have prices ever come down!).
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > There is ONlY one Printer, thats the Epson R210.

    Thanks Geronimo. Funnily enough I've been looking today at the Epson
    R210, R310 and the C65 and C83. So far as I can see the only advantage
    of the R210 over the two 4 ink models (C65 and C83) is CD printing, A4
    borderless printing and better colour prints due to the extra colour
    inks. The only downside I can see is that the R210 and R310's ink is
    less durable than the DuraBrite ink used by the C65 and C83.

    Am I right about the above? If so, then it seems your suggestion to get
    a R210 is spot on for me as I've no need for more speed, connectivity
    options or other fancy stuff. One question though - why then is the C83
    over $30.00 dearer than the obviously (from my POV) superior R210? Is
    it only the DuraBrite inks and a minor speed boost? It's only $30, but
    the pricing seems backward. Am I missing something? Or am I just
    paranoid and should I just hurry up and buy the damn R210? :)

    > You could also use far cheaper Ink Tanks for the Epson 740, like the Jet Tec
    > ones made in the UK at 1/2 the price here, and even the R210..

    I'll take a look, cheers.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2004
  14. Cheap personal Laser Printer. Was: [Re: Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?]

    Hi there again.

    Anyone got any thoughts on this low cost Brother laser printer - the
    HL-1430
    <http://www.brother.co.nz/public/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=HL%2D1430>
    ?

    Is it worth it for this Mac/PC laser to save money by using for B&W only
    print jobs, instead of my Inkjet?

    What are the Mac drivers like?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    geoffm Guest

    Re: Cheap personal Laser Printer. Was: [Re: Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?]

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:36:07 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Hi there again.
    >
    >Anyone got any thoughts on this low cost Brother laser printer - the
    >HL-1430

    I have one, and highly recommend it. I have had mine since February,
    and it must have printed thousands of pages and is still on the
    factory issue cartridge - be 3000 pages at least. I think it is around
    $60 to get the cartridge refilled
    If you do transparencies, it is a bit fussy about the brand (some
    don't have as good a paper backing) unless you feed single sheets
    straight through.
    No problems, good prints and I like it.
    I got mine as we had a 1230 at work, which churned out thousands of
    pages of accounts with no problems.
    Geoff
    geoffm, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Italian Jobs Guest

    Re: Cheap personal Laser Printer. Was: [Re: Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?]

    On 19 Oct 2004 14:38:48 -0500, geoffm
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:36:07 +1300, (Jamie
    >Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there again.
    >>
    >>Anyone got any thoughts on this low cost Brother laser printer - the
    >>HL-1430

    > I have one, and highly recommend it. I have had mine since February,
    >and it must have printed thousands of pages and is still on the
    >factory issue cartridge - be 3000 pages at least. I think it is around
    >$60 to get the cartridge refilled
    > If you do transparencies, it is a bit fussy about the brand (some
    >don't have as good a paper backing) unless you feed single sheets
    >straight through.
    > No problems, good prints and I like it.
    > I got mine as we had a 1230 at work, which churned out thousands of
    >pages of accounts with no problems.
    >Geoff

    Yeah,
    love mine too. Have it networked so that the wireless laptops that we
    have can use it too. A bit slower than for the desktop that it is
    attached to but a good stable low end laser.
    Italian Jobs, Oct 20, 2004
  17. Re: Cheap personal Laser Printer. Was: [Re: Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?]

    geoffm <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:36:07 +1300, (Jamie
    > Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there again.
    > >
    > >Anyone got any thoughts on this low cost Brother laser printer - the
    > >HL-1430

    > I have one, and highly recommend it. I have had mine since February,
    > and it must have printed thousands of pages and is still on the
    > factory issue cartridge - be 3000 pages at least. I think it is around
    > $60 to get the cartridge refilled
    > If you do transparencies, it is a bit fussy about the brand (some
    > don't have as good a paper backing) unless you feed single sheets
    > straight through.
    > No problems, good prints and I like it.
    > I got mine as we had a 1230 at work, which churned out thousands of
    > pages of accounts with no problems.
    > Geoff

    Thanks Geoff :)

    It's cheapness was scaring me off a little (I have this - sometimes -
    unreasonable fear that anything not expensive won't be any good at all,
    or last). So it was just using it's big brother, so to speak, that
    turned you on to the HL-1430?

    BTW, how does the driver handle colours and graduations in B&W? Or would
    you recommend it exclusively for text and graphics already in 2-bit
    colour?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
    is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 20, 2004
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    geoffm Guest

    Re: Cheap personal Laser Printer. Was: [Re: Best low cost home office separate ink cart. inkjet?]

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:14:33 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >It's cheapness was scaring me off a little (I have this - sometimes -
    >unreasonable fear that anything not expensive won't be any good at all,
    >or last). So it was just using it's big brother, so to speak, that
    >turned you on to the HL-1430?

    No, the 1230 was the model before - looks identical, shares the same
    parts but a bit slower (12 ppm instead of 14). Made choosing mine a
    no-brainer.

    >BTW, how does the driver handle colours and graduations in B&W? Or would
    >you recommend it exclusively for text and graphics already in 2-bit
    >colour?

    I have used it to print grays and photos - seems to handle the tones
    ok. I can print and scan you something if you want.
    geoffm, Oct 21, 2004