Best Lord of the Rings box set?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by asahitoro@nospam.com, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 21, 2005

  2. docdude316 Guest

    wrote:
    > Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    > them so I am unsure.
    >
    > http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=NLD007347
    >
    > Is it better to buy the individual titles rather than a box set if the
    > above isn't good?

    There are two different boxed sets of the LotR movies. The one you
    linked to contains the extended versions of the three films put together
    in a box. The other contains the theatrical versions of the films in a
    box (available here: http://xrl.us/gheo). As far as I know neither boxed
    set contains anything more than the retail copies of the three movies,
    so you won't be getting any bonus features other than those that
    everyone who bought them separately got.

    As for price, if you buy the three extended edition separately (at
    amazon) it would cost you $83.97 but the boxed set of the special
    edition is only $77.98. When it comes to the theatrical versions you'd
    pay $44.94 for them separately and $44.87 for the boxed set.

    One last thing to consider is buying the three extended editions
    separately in their gift set forms. These versions of the movies include
    the retail extended editions and then something like extra: A set of
    bookends for Fellowship, A Gollum statue for The Two Towers, and a statue
    of Minas Tirith for Return of the King.

    Here are links for the Extended Edition Gift Sets:
    The Fellowship of the Ring: http://xrl.us/ghew ($43.89 from Deep Discount)
    The Two Towers: http://xrl.us/ghey (I couldn't find it on either Deep
    Discount or Amazon, but Amazon does offer some sellers who are selling
    it new for as low as $31.96)
    The Return of the King: http://xrl.us/ghev ($39.99 from Amazon)

    Hope that helps.

    -Doc

    docdude316, Jun 21, 2005

  3. docdude316 Guest

    I also forgot to mention that if you buy the extended version you will
    be unable to watch the films as they were presented in theaters. All the
    films are pushing four hours in their extended form so it takes quite an
    investment in time to watch them. I'd honestly suggest buying both the
    extended and theatrical versions that way you can watch the theatrical
    version when you want to watch the shorter version and the extended
    edition when you have more time to kill.

    -Doc

    docdude316, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Meng Guest

    Meng, Jun 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    > them so I am unsure.

    I think people who've never seen or read the "Lord of the Rings" should
    strongly consider settling for the theatrical versions of the DVDs.

    The extended edition of the movies should only be for people who are
    confident that they'll like these movies. Quite frankly, the extended
    edition tends to have a very uneven pacing. All those added scenes
    will interest the Tolkien-afficionado, but most of the time the casual
    fan will neither understand nor need to know all those minor little
    details. The extended edition ends up being close to 12 hours of film,
    and that's overwhelming to casual viewers. I don't think anybody could
    expect a casual fan to sit through three 4-hour movies and enjoy
    themselves.

    , Jun 22, 2005
  6. Black Locust Guest

    In article <BBVte.649$>,
    docdude316 <> wrote:

    > I also forgot to mention that if you buy the extended version you will
    > be unable to watch the films as they were presented in theaters. All the
    > films are pushing four hours in their extended form so it takes quite an
    > investment in time to watch them. I'd honestly suggest buying both the
    > extended and theatrical versions that way you can watch the theatrical
    > version when you want to watch the shorter version and the extended
    > edition when you have more time to kill.

    I've gotta speak up against this statement. While I agree the Extended
    Versions are a bit long for one sitting(especially return of the king
    extended edition), remember that all of them are split across 2 discs.
    So really, all you need to do is stop after you're done with the first
    disc, take a break and then resume with the second disc. Part of the
    convience of watching a movie at home on DVD is that you can watch it in
    any manner you so desire. And the extended versions are so much better
    than the theatrical cuts that the theatrical versions aren't even worth
    the money IMO. Peter Jackson might not consider the extended cuts his
    "prefered" versions, but let's face it, they're the only way to go if
    you truly love these films. The books are so detailed and massive that
    get anything more material from them placed back into the movie is a
    very good thing. And I know the theatrical discs have different bonus
    features, but they aren't that good. The bonus features on the Extended
    Editions are so awesome that you really don't need anything else.

    Just my 2 cents. :)

    Black Locust, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Alpha Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    >> them so I am unsure.
    >>

    > I think people who've never seen or read the "Lord of the Rings" should
    > strongly consider settling for the theatrical versions of the DVDs.
    >
    > The extended edition of the movies should only be for people who are
    > confident that they'll like these movies. Quite frankly, the extended
    > edition tends to have a very uneven pacing. All those added scenes
    > will interest the Tolkien-afficionado, but most of the time the casual
    > fan will neither understand nor need to know all those minor little
    > details. The extended edition ends up being close to 12 hours of film,
    > and that's overwhelming to casual viewers. I don't think anybody could
    > expect a casual fan to sit through three 4-hour movies and enjoy
    > themselves.

    Especially overhyped films of great repetition of ideas.

    Alpha, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Sue Guest

    If you've never seen the films, I would suggest renting the theatrical
    versions first and watching those before sinking any money into a full
    set of either version. I loved the films, but everyone has different
    tastes, and it'd stink to have sunk at least $45 into a set of three
    films, watching the first one, and realizing you didn't like it.

    Once you've seen the theatrical versions, you can decide if you'd rather
    own those or pop for the EEs. I like the EEs, just because you get a ton
    of fascinating making-of material, and because some of the characters
    really benefited from the added scenes.

    Sue, Jun 22, 2005
  9. Guest

    In article <ctUte.150611$>,
    wrote:

    > Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    > them so I am unsure.
    >
    > http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=NLD007347
    >
    > Is it better to buy the individual titles rather than a box set if the
    > above isn't good?
    >
    > Thanks for any input,
    >
    > Scott

    Thanks for the replies everyone,

    I went ahead and got the extended version box set in the link above.
    After my 20% off discount, I got it for under $62 shipped. If I don't
    like it, I'll give it to my friend who loves the books/series.

    Scott

    , Jun 22, 2005
  10. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    >> them so I am unsure.
    >>

    >I think people who've never seen or read the "Lord of the Rings" should
    >strongly consider settling for the theatrical versions of the DVDs.
    >
    >The extended edition of the movies should only be for people who are
    >confident that they'll like these movies. Quite frankly, the extended
    >edition tends to have a very uneven pacing. All those added scenes
    >will interest the Tolkien-afficionado, but most of the time the casual
    >fan will neither understand nor need to know all those minor little
    >details. The extended edition ends up being close to 12 hours of film,
    >and that's overwhelming to casual viewers. I don't think anybody could
    >expect a casual fan to sit through three 4-hour movies and enjoy
    >themselves.

    Yet, people will do it with the mostly cheese filled Star Wars episode 1/2/6

    GMAN, Jun 24, 2005
  11. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >>> Is this a good set that contains all of the movies? I have never seen
    >>> them so I am unsure.
    >>>

    >> I think people who've never seen or read the "Lord of the Rings" should
    >> strongly consider settling for the theatrical versions of the DVDs.
    >>
    >> The extended edition of the movies should only be for people who are
    >> confident that they'll like these movies. Quite frankly, the extended
    >> edition tends to have a very uneven pacing. All those added scenes
    >> will interest the Tolkien-afficionado, but most of the time the casual
    >> fan will neither understand nor need to know all those minor little
    >> details. The extended edition ends up being close to 12 hours of film,
    >> and that's overwhelming to casual viewers. I don't think anybody could
    >> expect a casual fan to sit through three 4-hour movies and enjoy
    >> themselves.
    >>

    >Especially overhyped films of great repetition of ideas.

    Star Wars?
    Planet of Apes?
    Star Trek?

    GMAN, Jun 24, 2005