Best list of free software you'll ever see!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goofy, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goofy

    Goofy

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    10
    This is the official list of best free programs out there, compiled by me, Andrew Raemer. Feel free to add your own. Theres thousands more, but these are the best!
    Y'z Dock - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2790.html
    It's basically the Apple toolbar but on Windows.
    http://www.sentinelware.freeserve.co.uk/randomdesktop/index.html
    Runs in the tray, switches your desktop image from a list / directory randomly or sequentially every specified amount of minutes.
    Rainlendar http://www.ipi.fi/~rainy/index.php?pn=projects&project=rainlendar
    It's a neet little desktop calendar app.
    WebMon: http://www.markwell.btinternet.co.uk/webmon/
    WebMon is a tool that lets you check a website (or a portion of a website) for updates and notify you when the site has changed.
    MultiRes, from http://www.entechtaiwan.net
    A very small application (61k) that sits in your systray, that you can right-click on and choose a screen resolution. Very handy when designing webpages and needing a fast way to see if your website still looks decent at a lower resolution.
    ATITool, will find your maximum gpu/mem clock speeds and has a 3d detection feature that will allow you to clock your card down when you're on the desktop and then ramp up the speeds when you load a game. Runs nicely in your tray.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
    Clickie: Adds "Copy Path Name" and "Open MS-DOS Prompt" to the right click context menu.
    http://defoort.free.fr/clickie/
    Rainmeter http://www.ipi.fi/~rainy/index.php?pn=projects&project=rainmeter - Developed by the same person who made Rainlender (see above). It's a computer hardware information tool, and can fetch information from some sites, too. It can display: Memory usage, Temperatures, CPU usage, storage, upstream and downstream bandwidth usage, temperatures, and it has a clock. There are also tons of skins for it...
    Click DVD to AVI is the most amazing, simple DVD recompression solution I've used. Give it a dir on a disc or hard drive with VOBs and an IFO to work from, pick a codec, framerate, resolution, aspect ratio, and goal filesize-- and you have a result AVI in that size with those settings at the max possible quality. It's such a time-saver over guessing bitrates and praying it comes out <700 mb for CD-R backup.
    http://www.topshareware.com/1Click-...nload-10506.htm http://www.topshareware.com/1Click-DVD-to-Divx-xVid-Avi-download-10506.htm
    DVD-Decrypter, for the times I need to just decrypt the disc-- but it's ALSO the best ISO Reader/Writer I have used. I can give it a disc and have an ISO in no time, then rewrite it. And often when Nero, Easy CD Creator, etc. don't find my drive-- DVD Decrypter does.
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com
    Free CD-DA Extractor is a free 2-app suite. A CD ripper utility that encodes into any format that's common, e.g. WAV, MP3, OGG, and (I think) AAC at any bitrate, CBR or VBR. The second tool converts between any of those formats TO any of those formats at your bitrate of choice. It even does batch conversion, is fast and efficient as hell. Godsend.
    http://www.poikosoft.com
    ClockGen and SpeedFan: I use these in combination to pick my CPU/Bus/RAM clocks and CPU voltage in realtime as I use Windows, and to monitor my CPU usage and component temperatures. Awesome shit.
    <http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php>
    <http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php>
    NetMeter http://readerror.gmxhome.de
    Best interface for seeing current input/output speeds of your network. It records other stuff, but my router keeps a better history for internet records.
    http://www.litespring.com/alarm
    Awesome little app that is free, wakes you up with a looping WAV of your choice, of slowly increasing volume. So you can gradually wake up instead of waking up to a loud shrieking sound and bash your speakers into submission. It also has 2 alarms so you can sleep in a bit.
    TCPview
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml
    Like netstat with GUI, plus it shows what process is assosiated with any given connection.
    StartupCPL http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    Pretty simple, lets you edit what programs start up with windows.
    Sound Control
    http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/
    It replaces the windows volume control applet with a customizable version - allowing you to bind global hotkeys for increasing/decreasing volume, etc. Extremely handy if you have headphones without in-line volume control.
    Wondering where the hell all the space is going on your hard drive?
    Like programs that have PacMan in them?
    WinDirStat http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ is for you.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/
    Cleaning your hard drive, fast and easy. Extrmely safe, wont delete your important files, guarenteed.
    SpaceMonger http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html
    A program that shows disk usage visually, it has the advantage of running off of a single exe instead of needing to install.
    100% free, file recovery software
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    AM Deadlink http://www.aignes.com/products.htm - Runs through all your favorites and checks if the url is still valid with the the option to delete if not.
    If you need to copy websites to your local hard drive HTTrack http://www.httrack.com/ is very easy to use, and very effective in my experience. It's also free, which is cool.
    A neat little application that allows you to use your gmail account as a network hard drive. It is easily oine of the best programs I've ever used!!! You are limited to your conn speed but its truly amazing! It can be found here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/E-mail/Mail-Utilities/GMail-Drive-shell-extension.shtml
    Post some useful programs that you've found.
    Goofy, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds good, i might have to check some of that stuff out 2morrow, i use a few of them myself...
    unholy, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Goofy

    ldonyo

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I use some of those, as well. Another site that is full of free Windows utilities is Sysinternals.
    ldonyo, Jun 26, 2005
  4. Goofy

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Edited a lot of those line breaks out of your post.
    Thanks for that list, I need to check some of those out.
    Silverstrand, Jun 26, 2005
  5. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i just noticed i can do that now :D, i have never been a pro moder but now i can (moderator :D)
    unholy, Jun 26, 2005
  6. Goofy

    decius

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    10
    Nice last, I've used some of them before, will have to try others out. Thanks =)
    decius, Jun 26, 2005
  7. Goofy

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    stlava, Jun 27, 2005
  8. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yep linux is going to become more popular soon :D, specially is longhorn fails!!!!
    unholy, Jun 27, 2005
  9. Goofy

    werty316

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    96
    One thing is DVD Decrypter is gone for good and it saddens me. Best DVD ripper out there. I still don't get why they where shutdown. Only stupid reasons.
    werty316, Jun 27, 2005
  10. Goofy

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    You can thank the large media companies for them shutting down.........:(
    Anyway great list of software, I use a lot of it everyday.
    Bio-Hazard, Jun 27, 2005
  11. Goofy

    zachig

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    113
    Thanks a lot for the long. I'll check some of the free stuff in the following days. When i'll have my free software to recommend, I'll be glad to share it with you guys.
    zachig, Jun 28, 2005
  12. Goofy

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    How bout the StylerXP and WindowBlinds?
    Both not free, I don't think so but you can still get to use it if you can endure the splash at the start up.
    I quit WindowBlinds anyway, its not recommended really well for Firefox users. It makes the screen go funky, just moving up and down so annoying. If someone knows the solution to this, please tell me. :p
    Technoholic, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i used both, i honesty hate them :|, good old res editing is better :D
    unholy, Jun 29, 2005
  14. Goofy

    ww_crimson

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    60
    A few I don't have links for but I could find are
    TuneXP
    Firetune
    HiJackThis
    Ad-Aware (I guess you could call this great)
    GSpot (godly codec program)
    ww_crimson, Jul 1, 2005
  15. Goofy

    ZAK18

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Messages:
    21
    Thanks you!
    ZAK18, Jul 4, 2005
  16. Goofy

    SlipSand

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    29
    Yeah cool links.
    One thing the ATI-Tool doesnt work well on older cards.
    I dunno if it cant detect when its artifacting or what. I tried it on my 7500 2 weeks back and it kept letting it artifact allover the place. :\
    SlipSand, Jul 5, 2005
  17. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    doesn't sound too good :|
    unholy, Jul 6, 2005
  18. Goofy

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    For newer cards its fine though..
    stlava, Jul 23, 2005
  19. Goofy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    It reckons my x600 pro is a x300 :| but it still functions fine! :D
    unholy, Jul 24, 2005
  20. Goofy

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    http://www.konfabulator.com
    It's now totally free, Yahoo bought 'em out and the new version costs's zip, zilch, nada. A thousand different "widgets" that do all sorts of things (too many to list). Check 'em out, definatly worth it. The new version seems to be a lot more stable too. I have about 40 widgets on my desktop right now, I'm addicted to widgets, it'll pass, but it's fun.
    The Modfather, Sep 14, 2005