    beginner

    Many thanks
    Kevin
    ZL409, Sep 10, 2006

  2. ZL409

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:58:21 +1200, ZL409 wrote:

    > I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner

    I'll throw in the option of PCLinuxOS. It is a live CD which installs to
    HD if required. Same as Ubuntu etc. PCLinux OS is not at version 1 but
    0.93.

    PCLinuxOS is an offshoot of Mandriva. Mandriva has lost is way somewhat,
    still 2007 version is nearly hear.

    Look, just grab a few live CDs and try them out. The Linux distros have
    improved by leaps and bounds. The installation usually just works, and all
    admin can be done by point and click.

    It is not MS Windows, so let this idea go before you start.
    Gordon, Sep 11, 2006

  3. ZL409

    Adam Guest

    ZL409 wrote:

    > I too would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner

    Copied from an exchange below, but for these reasons;

    - a good Newsgroup for your distro is a real advantage. A bad one is no fun
    at all.

    - have a poke around with a Live CD. Take a look at the vast range of
    software that will run from it. Try some Linux-ey things out with it. Get
    some internet references for further reading. Find Distrowatch.

    - why not phase over from Windows to a Linux slowly. Gradually get used to
    Linux then make the switch. Usually, there is specific software you require
    for specific purposes, and until this is completely replaced by the Linux
    stuff, (sometimes determined by the distro), then you will require the use
    of both. A second drive with one Linux or another or both there, is just a
    plain good idea, (although juggling the bootup into Windows, LinuxDistro1,
    LinuxDistro2, WILL take some getting used to).

    Here's the copy from below;

    The latest Knoppix really is Very good, for trying out a few things on a
    live CD. Because lots of software is there, and it runs straight off.

    For the future, you should consider adding a separate HDD for the Linux of
    your choice, and during the Linux install allow the dual-boot option to be
    configured. Keep a copy of the original boot sector on a floppy just in
    case.

    If the 2nd HDD is of any reasonable size, then you can try alternative Linux
    distros and boot between them until you all decide which.

    Windows seems to have the best sound editing software (Audition,
    Soundforge), but Linux is catching up fast (Audacity is usable and being
    actively developed). Linux of course has the safest mail and internet
    environment.

    The 2nd (separate) HDD for solely Linux, with a FAT32 common windows
    interchange partition, seems the best and most flexible solution, allowing
    the best of all possible worlds.

    I'll just mention considering Mandriva, who seem to have a friendly and
    helpful newsgroup and as an OS seems user friendly.
    Adam, Sep 11, 2006
  4. On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:58:21 +1200, ZL409 wrote:

    > I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Kevin

    ubuntu seems to keep the newbies happy.......
    wogers nemesis, Sep 11, 2006
  5. ZL409 <> wrote:

    > I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Kevin

    Ubuntu. So easy to try out with the Live/Install CD, easy to install,
    easy to setup, it comes with almost every app the average user needs,
    and is regularly updated with good support available. They'll even post
    free Live/Install CDs to you.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 11, 2006
  6. ZL409

    steve Guest

    ZL409 wrote:
    > I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Kevin

    Xandros 4.0 would be an excellent choice.

    My 71yo mother uses it.....
    steve, Sep 11, 2006
  7. ZL409

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:58:21 +1200, ZL409 wrote:

    > I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    > beginner
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Kevin

    Hopefully the one your mate is going to help you learn. There's b*g all
    difference between them all.
    Steve, Sep 11, 2006
  8. ZL409

    BrianM Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:06 +1000, steve wrote:

    > ZL409 wrote:
    >> I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    >> beginner
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Kevin

    > Xandros 4.0 would be an excellent choice.
    >
    > My 71yo mother uses it.....

    Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows and it will
    give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows startup
    option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

    cheers
    --
    BrianM
    BrianM, Sep 12, 2006
  9. ZL409

    steve Guest

    BrianM wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:51:06 +1000, steve wrote:
    >
    >> ZL409 wrote:
    >>> I to would appreciate comments on what is the best linux distro for a
    >>> beginner
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>> Kevin

    >> Xandros 4.0 would be an excellent choice.
    >>
    >> My 71yo mother uses it.....

    > Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows and
    > it will
    > give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
    > startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.
    >
    > cheers

    Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

    It's Windows that goes into denial when it sees a Linux (or any other)
    system installed.
    steve, Sep 12, 2006
  10. In article <>, steve <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows and
    >> it will
    >> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
    >> startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

    >Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

    Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ? ie
    will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same space for
    stuff and break the working RH system ?

    Thanks
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2006
  11. ZL409

    Shane Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, steve <>
    > wrote: (snip)
    >>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows
    >>> and it will
    >>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
    >>> startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

    >>Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

    > Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ? ie
    > will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same space for
    > stuff and break the working RH system ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Multi booting several linux (linices?) is trivial
    Assuming you have / and /swap partitioned for RH9, find some more space on
    your HDD, and point <new linux> at that new space. Creating a / partition
    for <new linux> and reuse the existing /swap
    Instruct the installer to install the bootloader on your new drive space
    (ie. NOT in the MBR)
    The tricky bit is telling grub (which was installed by RH 9) to chainload
    the new bootloader
    This is done by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst (on the RH 9 partition) and
    adding the following lines

    # linux installation on /dev/hda4.
    title <funky name for new linux>
    #point to the bootloader note this is zero indexed
    root (hd0,3)
    #point to the kernel, note the hda number
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
    #some important stuff
    savedefault
    #mmmm more important stuff
    boot

    --
    Professor Farnsworth: Good news everyone, I'm still technically alive.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 12, 2006
  12. ZL409

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:56:22 +1000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, steve <>
    > wrote: (snip)
    >>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows
    >>> and it will
    >>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the
    >>> Windows startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot
    >>> system.

    >>Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

    > Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ?
    > ie will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same
    > space for stuff and break the working RH system ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I once installed Xandros3 over an existing dual-boot system (Mandrake9 and
    Win98). Mandrake not longer worked but Win98 did !.
    Ymmv on this one.

    --
    BrianM
    BrianM, Sep 12, 2006
  13. ZL409

    steve Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, steve <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>> Good thing about Xandros is you can install it over the top of Windows and
    >>> it will
    >>> give you the choice of keeping the Fat32 partition, and add the Windows
    >>> startup option to the boot loader, giving you a dual boot system.

    >> Most of the mainstream Linux distros do that.

    > Does anyone know if it will it do likewise with an aging RH 9 system ? ie
    > will it install side by side ... or will it want to use the same space for
    > stuff and break the working RH system ?
    >
    > Thanks

    It should be OK....but it is best to do the manual disk config if
    offered and, if offered, select the partitions you want the option of
    booting from.
    steve, Sep 13, 2006
  14. ZL409

    Guest

    Choosing best Linux distros depends upon your machine specifications,your needs and your knowledge about Linux distros.Every one has their own opinions about best linux distros.I have categorized them into various groups so that a reader can easily choose the best distro for his need.Read my articleat
    http://www.bestlinuxdistros.com/2012/04/best-distro-for-your-needs.html
    , Sep 27, 2012