    Thanks,

    John Valceanu

    , Aug 23, 2009

  2. Chris H Guest

    In message <
    s.com>, "" <> writes
    >Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
    >am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
    >and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
    >interested in checking it out.
    >
    >Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
    >work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
    >is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
    >I'd like to keep using.
    >
    >I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    This must be a troll.....

    read the 200+ post is the thread suggestions for a new PC.

    Unfortunately the linux crowd are full of fud and religion.

    Have a look at their champion photo editing SW, GIMP, it is available
    for PC and Mac... that is as good as it gets. Their other suggestions
    are to run Linux with a windows emulator so you can run some reasonable
    programs.

    Linux is a pale imitation of the UNIX running on your MAC Id you really
    want to try a linux environment boot into the single user mode on the
    mac, is UNIX and you will get some idea.

    Linux has several GUIS you can use, none are up to the standard of OSX

    Chris H, Aug 23, 2009

  3. ray Guest

    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17:18 -0700, wrote:

    > Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I am
    > running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop and
    > sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and interested
    > in checking it out.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would work
    > best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software is
    > available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson I'd
    > like to keep using.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John Valceanu

    Should not make any real difference which distribution you choose, but I
    would suggest trying a Live CD of whatever you're interested in first -
    to see if there might be any problematic hardware. The Linux
    distributions differ mainly in package management, desktop selections and
    preloaded apps. My own personal preference is for the Debian Package
    Management System - it simply works more cleanly for me than RedHat
    Package Management. I tend, for that reason, to prefer either Debian
    itself or one of the Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu.

    Software will include Open Source products for most anything you could
    imagine - GIMP and OpenOffice, for example, are usually included in the
    default install. I'd suggest trying garden variety Ubuntu with the Gnome
    desktop environment. If you simply must have KDE, it seems marginally
    better to install Ubuntu and then add the KDE desktop environment rather
    than to install Kubuntu.

    Support for scanners is generally fairly good - especially for HP and
    Epson scanners. You may need to get the 'iscan' package from avasys.jp
    for your Epson scanner.

    If you're processing raw images, I like ufraw - there are several other
    packages, as well - generally based on the dcraw conversion utility.

    ray, Aug 23, 2009
  4. Thanks, to both of you. I'm not a troll, just curious about Linux. I'm
    not planning to abandon my beloved Macs or the Windows PCs I have to
    use for work. I'm just looking to explore alternatives, probably more
    out of intellectual curiosity than anything. I've run OpenOffice on
    both Windows and Apple OS, but I didn't know GIMP was available for
    those platforms. I'll check it out.

    I've noticed that in the photo work I do, I tend to have no need for
    the vast bulk of Photoshop's more advanced pictures, so I may be able
    to make do with a less sophicsticated program. Thanks again,

    John Valceanu

    John Valceanu, Aug 23, 2009
  5. I second trying with a liveCD.
    I for one am using macs at home, including a MBP for general travel, but
    indeed I successfully switched to a much smaller MSI Wind laptop with
    Ubuntu then Mandriva on it.
    There are plenty of easily installable photo-related packages, from
    database handling to raw processing to site uploaders, most of them with
    definitely good GUIs.
    Consider you'll spend various hours in trying what's best for you.
    Also, remember most "cheap laptops" like my MSI are less reliable
    hardware than Apple's -don't be surprised if like me your trackpad just
    fails 6 monthe after buying. But nowadays, you can just bacup all your
    photos on a single USB key...

    H.
    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [fr,es,en,it]
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, Aug 23, 2009
  6. ray Guest

    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:34:33 -0700, John Valceanu wrote:

    > Thanks, to both of you. I'm not a troll, just curious about Linux. I'm
    > not planning to abandon my beloved Macs or the Windows PCs I have to use
    > for work. I'm just looking to explore alternatives, probably more out of
    > intellectual curiosity than anything. I've run OpenOffice on both
    > Windows and Apple OS, but I didn't know GIMP was available for those
    > platforms. I'll check it out.
    >
    > I've noticed that in the photo work I do, I tend to have no need for the
    > vast bulk of Photoshop's more advanced pictures, so I may be able to
    > make do with a less sophicsticated program. Thanks again,
    >
    > John Valceanu

    You're entirely welcome. I hope the experience is a pleasant one for you
    - but ultimately, of course, the choice is yours. If you want a little
    help, you might try some Linux newsgroups - alt.os.linux.ubuntu would
    probably be appropriate. In my experience, Linux is no more difficult
    than MS - it's just a little different. We've put Linux on 13 of 14
    public access internet computers at the local library and no one has had
    any difficulty - most patrons are not aware there's any difference.

    ray, Aug 23, 2009
  7. Alex Monro Guest

    wrote:

    > Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I
    > am running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop
    > and sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
    > interested in checking it out.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would
    > work best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software
    > is available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson
    > I'd like to keep using.

    I've been using Linux (currently Kubuntu) for all my computer work for
    years, including photo editing. I mainly use Bibble for RAW conversion
    and basic editing, but they seem to be having trouble getting the new
    version out. I also use an old version of LightZone (didn't get on
    with the later versions), and Gimp with UFraw - these last two, editor
    and RAW converter respectively, are true open source and likely to be
    included with any Linux distribution.

    I've also tried DigiKam, RawStudio and RawTherapee - didn't really get
    on with them myself, but your taste may be different. These are open
    source or free download, and may be included in distributions.

    I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when
    I need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
    but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
    (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
    developer for a living... :) )

    Alex Monro, Aug 24, 2009
  8. Miles Bader Guest

    Neil Ellwood <> writes:
    > CinePaint was certainly in Debian Testing software a couple of months
    > ago. Just needed downloading via apt-get install

    The version currently in debian seems very old though -- it hasn't had
    any substantiative updates since Jan 2006...

    Granted, I dunno if upstream's any better!

    -Miles

    --
    Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.

    Miles Bader, Aug 24, 2009
  9. ray Guest

    On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:29:23 +0100, Alex Monro wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Someone mentioned switching to Linux OS to avoid Windows problems. I am
    >> running both Apple and Windows PCs, and I generally use Photoshop and
    >> sometimes Adobe Bridge. I am, however, intrigued by Linux and
    >> interested in checking it out.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any thoughts about which Linux distribution would work
    >> best? I'm looking at Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Also, what software is
    >> available? Is there support for scanners? I've got an older Epson I'd
    >> like to keep using.
    >>

    > I've been using Linux (currently Kubuntu) for all my computer work for
    > years, including photo editing. I mainly use Bibble for RAW conversion
    > and basic editing, but they seem to be having trouble getting the new
    > version out. I also use an old version of LightZone (didn't get on with
    > the later versions), and Gimp with UFraw - these last two, editor and
    > RAW converter respectively, are true open source and likely to be
    > included with any Linux distribution.
    >
    > I've also tried DigiKam, RawStudio and RawTherapee - didn't really get
    > on with them myself, but your taste may be different. These are open
    > source or free download, and may be included in distributions.
    >
    > I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when I
    > need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
    > but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
    > (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
    > developer for a living... :) )

    It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
    per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

    ray, Aug 24, 2009
  10. nospam Guest

    In article <>, ray <>
    wrote:

    > > I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when I
    > > need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
    > > but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
    > > (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
    > > developer for a living... :) )

    > It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
    > per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

    not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    nospam, Aug 24, 2009
  11. Honest Abe Guest

    On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:11:06 -0400, nospam <> wrote:

    >In article <>, ray <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> > I sometimes use CinePaint - a 16 bit per colour version of Gimp, when I
    >> > need greater colour depth in editing (HDR etc.). That is open source,
    >> > but not available as a compiled package - I had to build it from source
    >> > (not difficult, just a little tedious, but I used to be a software
    >> > developer for a living... :) )

    >> It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
    >> per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

    >not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    Mostly because they're blind following sheep. 99% of the population is just
    blind following sheep. While blind-following-sheep can be mature, that's
    not considered mature (adult) by human standards. Why should purchasers of
    Photoshop be any different?

    There's lots of software out there just as good and some ever better.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors

    Honest Abe, Aug 24, 2009
  12. nospam Guest

    In article <>, Honest Abe
    <> wrote:

    > >> It's my understanding that the latest GIMP version also supports 16 bits
    > >> per color, but it's not activated by default as it's not yet fully mature.

    > >not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    > Mostly because they're blind following sheep. 99% of the population is just
    > blind following sheep. While blind-following-sheep can be mature, that's
    > not considered mature (adult) by human standards. Why should purchasers of
    > Photoshop be any different?

    no, they buy it because it does what they need, particularly the full
    version.

    > There's lots of software out there just as good and some ever better.

    actually there isn't. there might be a couple apps that do some things
    better but there aren't any that is overall better than photoshop.

    nospam, Aug 24, 2009
  13. Miles Bader Guest

    nospam <> writes:
    > not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    As if anyone actually pays for photoshop!

    -Miles

    --
    My spirit felt washed. With blood. [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]

    Miles Bader, Aug 25, 2009
  14. Miles Bader Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:
    >> As if anyone actually pays for photoshop!

    > Another thief among us?

    Well actually I've never used photoshop.

    But everybody I know that _does_ use it, got it from "somewhere" -- to
    the degree that I actually did laugh when I saw your statement "and you
    wonder why people pay for photoshop?"

    It's gotten a bit of a rep that way...

    > You will find many here who have paid for Photoshop and upgrades.

    I'm sure it's fine software (adobe seems to put a lot of effort into
    it), and those people who _do_ pay for it, are often happy with their
    investment. Obviously enough people must pay for it that adobe finds it
    worthwhile to continue investing its development.

    -Miles

    --
    Run away! Run away!

    Miles Bader, Aug 25, 2009
  15. Miles Bader Guest

    Savageduck <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:
    > To keep things straight, that was not my statement. A quick check of
    > atribution will show that it came from "nospam <>

    Oh, right, whoops; sorry.

    > "and quite possibly have a similar philosophy"

    ?!

    Oh brother.

    Just for the record, though: no, I don't make a habit of copying
    proprietary software without paying for it. I prefer to use free
    (libre) software if possible, but I will and do pay for proprietary
    software if that's what suits the task best.

    [As for photoshop, I do not have a digital camera, and have had no need
    for heavy-duty interactive picture editing; gimp and other free
    image-processing software works fine for what I need.]

    [Why try to turn this silly subthread into a flame? Why does
    rec.photo.digital sometime seem to be full of constantly angry
    people...?]

    -miles

    --
    My spirit felt washed. With blood. [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]

    Miles Bader, Aug 25, 2009
  16. Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Giftzwerg
    <> writes
    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >
    >> >not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    >> Mostly because they're blind following sheep. 99% of the population is just
    >> blind following sheep. While blind-following-sheep can be mature, that's
    >> not considered mature (adult) by human standards. Why should purchasers of
    >> Photoshop be any different?

    >Way to go, fucknuts; you just called the entire membership of the
    >National Association of Photoshop Professionals - and just about every
    >working photographer I know or have ever heard of - an idiot.

    I thought that. Professionals go for functionality first. SO whichj
    pro's use GIMP?

    If you are not a pro then PS elements is good and from the same stable
    as the professional tool.

    I have Gimp but I use PS... also PS integrates with Light room

    >You're lucky there's no intelligence requirements for USENET.

    There used to be.... At one time you had to be at university or a
    government research place. Then AOL let it's morons on and then
    "everyone" got on....

    Usenet is dying as many of the now people never get beyond web forum and
    most Internet set-ups no longer include a newsreader. Also some ISP's
    are no longer carrying Usenet.

    Chris H, Aug 25, 2009
  17. Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Miles Bader <>
    writes
    >nospam <> writes:
    >> not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    >As if anyone actually pays for photoshop!

    I didn't like to mention that but a LOT of people have copies they have
    not paid for...

    So in practical terms for many the choice is a free GIMP or a free
    Photoshop..... No brainer really.

    Chris H, Aug 25, 2009
  18. Chris H Guest

    In message <200908241625557987-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
    <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes
    >On 2009-08-24 16:06:25 -0700, Miles Bader <> said:
    >
    >> nospam <> writes:
    >>> not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    >> As if anyone actually pays for photoshop!
    >> -Miles

    >Another thief among us?

    That is not quite what he said... there are cracked versions of PS
    about. So in reality many people have the choice of a free gimp of free
    photoshop. For many the cost is not a factor.

    >You will find many here who have paid for Photoshop and upgrades. They
    >have paid for Lightroom, they have paid for aperture, NX, Photomatix,
    >and some of the high end plug-ins and SW. Not because they have done so
    >stupidly, but because they saw the value in the software and are
    >inherently honest.

    Likewise. But then I run a business in the SW industry

    Chris H, Aug 25, 2009
  19. ray Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:29:45 +0100, Chris H wrote:

    > In message <>, Miles Bader <>
    > writes
    >>nospam <> writes:
    >>> not fully mature? and you wonder why people pay for photoshop?

    >>As if anyone actually pays for photoshop!

    > I didn't like to mention that but a LOT of people have copies they have
    > not paid for...
    >
    > So in practical terms for many the choice is a free GIMP or a free
    > Photoshop..... No brainer really.

    Unless you happen to have ethics.

    ray, Aug 25, 2009
  20. ray Guest

    On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:31:27 +0100, Chris H wrote:

    > In message <200908241625557987-savageduck@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
    > <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes

    >>> As if anyone actually pays for photoshop! -Miles

    >>Another thief among us?

    > That is not quite what he said... there are cracked versions of PS
    > about. So in reality many people have the choice of a free gimp of free
    > photoshop. For many the cost is not a factor.

    No, but ethics still is - at least for some. If you can't tell the
    difference between free Open Source software and free pirated commercial
    software, you have bigger problems than I thought.

    ray, Aug 25, 2009