    is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo
    lens for the 400d ?

    David

    David Cleland, Oct 15, 2006

  2. "David Cleland" <> wrote in message
    news:egu90c$a88$2surf.net...
    >I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
    >not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
    >for the 400d ?

    Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
    purpose lens.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 15, 2006

  3. Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "David Cleland" <> wrote in message
    >> I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
    >> not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
    >> for the 400d ?

    > Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
    > purpose lens.

    it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
    much as I can.

    David

    David Cleland, Oct 15, 2006

  4. > it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
    > much as I can.

    I think you will like it a lot for family shots ... I have taken many with
    that lens and have been pleased with the results.

    Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
    very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
    macro issue.

    OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

    Charles Schuler, Oct 15, 2006
  5. Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as

    > Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
    > very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
    > macro issue.
    >
    > OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

    Thanks for this - I will check out a few prices. I have a macro option
    on one of my sigma lens but it is not that great to be honest. I think I
    will learn with this lens and venture to macro once I understand all the
    settings :)

    David

    David Cleland, Oct 15, 2006
  6. David Cleland

    remove Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:30:56 +0100, David Cleland
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
    >much as I can.
    >
    >David

    David,

    The 18-55mm kit lens is not all that bad. You're not really going to
    see much improvement until you get in the $800-1000 ballpark. I would
    suggest that you play with that lens for a while and see for yourself.
    In the meantime, google on lens reviews and test data before you make
    a decision.

    I recently broke my 18-55mm lens and was going to replace it with the
    ef-s 17-85 lens, but after looking at reviews and tests, I couldn't
    justify the almost $400 difference. To be sure, the 17-85 is a better
    lens and has a little better long range, and if you have the money to
    blow, go for it.

    btw, from what I've seen in tests and experimentation, the 18-55 seems
    to perform best at f/8 or 11 in most cases.

    Bill

    remove, Oct 15, 2006
  7. David Cleland

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > "David Cleland" <> wrote in message
    >> I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
    >> not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
    >> for the 400d ?

    > Depends on your needs, but do consider the Canon efs-17-85 for a general
    > purpose lens.

    I use that as my walk-around lens on my 20D .. and
    overall prefer it to my 17-40 f/4 L.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Oct 15, 2006
  8. David Cleland

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> it really is only family shots but I am trying to improve my photos as
    >> much as I can.

    > I think you will like it a lot for family shots ... I have taken many with
    > that lens and have been pleased with the results.
    >
    > Later, one gets into longer lenses for sports and wildlife ... those can be
    > very costly, but don't have to be for hobby use. And then there is the
    > macro issue.
    >
    > OH MY, there are so many lenses and so few dollars ;>)

    Yup .. the dSLR does have its downsides (glass
    hunger!).

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Oct 15, 2006
  9. David Cleland wrote:
    > I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the
    > 400d is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general
    > photo lens for the 400d ?
    >
    > David

    Frankly the kit lens is very good. It is not extremely good and that
    seems to be the standard these days.

    For general use, that is my lens of choice. Nice range and light
    weight.

    The most common complaint I hear is that it feels plastic and not very
    solid. That is true, it does feel plastic and not very solid. However it
    produces very good results. I suggest you get the kit lens to start with
    and then work from there for any additional lenses.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 15, 2006
  10. David Cleland

    Stewy Guest

    In article <zLyYg.12866$>,
    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote:

    > David Cleland wrote:
    > > I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the
    > > 400d is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general
    > > photo lens for the 400d ?
    > >
    > > David

    > Frankly the kit lens is very good. It is not extremely good and that
    > seems to be the standard these days.
    >
    > For general use, that is my lens of choice. Nice range and light
    > weight.
    >
    > The most common complaint I hear is that it feels plastic and not very
    > solid. That is true, it does feel plastic and not very solid. However it
    > produces very good results. I suggest you get the kit lens to start with
    > and then work from there for any additional lenses.

    God forbid you should put anything plastic on a 400D. You've paid big
    bucks for this albatross and it'll be titanium or nuthin.

    Stewy, Oct 16, 2006
  11. David Cleland

    embee Guest

    >I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
    >not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
    >for the 400d ?
    >
    > David

    If it's within your budget, I can recommend the 24-105mm L. Max aperture is
    4, but it has IS, so you gain a bit of speed that way.

    It's a wonderful general use lens, and it's rarely off my camera.

    Cheers.

    embee, Oct 16, 2006
  12. In article <egv8ru$f25$>,
    says...

    > "David Cleland" <> wrote in message
    > >I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d is
    > >not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo lens
    > >for the 400d ?
    > >
    > > David

    > If it's within your budget, I can recommend the 24-105mm L. Max aperture is
    > 4, but it has IS, so you gain a bit of speed that way.
    >
    > It's a wonderful general use lens, and it's rarely off my camera.

    I'd agree with you, with the caviat that it costs more than the OP paid
    for his 400d kit !

    Ignore the received wisdom about the kit lens, run a couple of thousand
    shots through it and see what results you get and whether or not YOU are
    happy with them. No one elses opinion counts, not even mine..

    On the other hand, DO follow the genertal recommendation to start
    shooting RAW if you haven't already done so. That will get you
    improvements and it's free!

    If/when you find that you ARE unhappy with the kit lens, visit a decent
    camera shop if you can and try both the ef-s 17-85 and the 24-105 L .
    See if you think the improvement justifies the cost in either case.

    For what it's worth I use the 24-105 L and a 100-400 L with my 350D.

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Oct 16, 2006
  13. Tony Gartshore wrote:

    > If/when you find that you ARE unhappy with the kit lens, visit a decent
    > camera shop if you can and try both the ef-s 17-85 and the 24-105 L .
    > See if you think the improvement justifies the cost in either case.
    >
    > For what it's worth I use the 24-105 L and a 100-400 L with my 350D.
    >
    > T.
    >> Cheers.

    Thanks Tony. I really do not think I can afford the 24-105. The 17-85
    would be a push but if this is going to be a lens that will stand me in
    good stead it may be a great christmas present :)

    david

    David Cleland, Oct 16, 2006
  14. David Cleland

    Guest

    David Cleland wrote:
    > I have read on a number of sites that the lens that comes with the 400d
    > is not that great. Can anyone recommend a good all round general photo
    > lens for the 400d ?
    >
    > David

    If you take a lot of family pictures, then I would suggest you buy
    yourself a fast lens. That would allow you to create
    professional-quality portraits and candids, isolating your subject and
    blurring the background (bokeh). Every Canon dSLR owner on a budget
    owes it to himself to buy the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens. It doesn't zoom, but
    it's only $80 --- and the image quality you get from it are 10X better
    than the kit lens. You can't go wrong.

    In addition to the cheap $80 lens, you might want to consider upgrading
    your kit lens with a better standard lens. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is
    pretty much unanimously considered the sharpest, fastest zoom lens
    available for Canon under $500. No Canon EF lens even comes close at
    that price range. Good for photography indoors, or photographing
    moving subjects (ie pets, children). But it's a 3rd party lens where
    quality control is definitely an issue. It's very easy to get a lemon
    from companies like Tamron and Sigma.

    The safest option is the EF-S 17-85mm IS. Basically, it's just like
    the kit lens --- with longer reach, and image stabilization. Image
    quality-wise, it's a very small step up. But the image stabilization
    would definitely help remove blurring you get from handheld shots.

    , Oct 19, 2006