  1. Chuck Dubois

    Chuck Dubois Guest

    What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    Chuck Dubois, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Chuck Dubois

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois <> wrote:
    > What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
    What else do you need to know?

    Annika1980, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Chuck Dubois

    Chuck Dubois Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:45:32 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

    > On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois <> wrote:
    >> What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    > I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
    > What else do you need to know?

    I was hoping to buy a college course style book. The best book would
    assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced subjects in a smooth
    transition.

    Chuck Dubois, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Chuck Dubois

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jan 26, 9:56 pm, Chuck Dubois <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:45:32 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois <> wrote:
    > >> What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    > > I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
    > > What else do you need to know?I was hoping to buy a college course style book. The best book would

    > assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced subjects in a smooth
    > transition.

    A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
    to use.
    As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

    Annika1980, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Chuck Dubois wrote:
    > What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    The problem I have with this question is that I really don't understand
    why anybody would want a whole book on a specific camera in the first
    place. (Yes, I see the point of a reference manual like what's shipped
    with the camera.)

    Seems to me the best learning resource (as asked for in the subject, as
    opposed to the different question you ask in the body) is something like
    Ansel Adams' basic photo series, or perhaps something more modern.
    Depending on what it is you really need to learn.

    Very few of the interesting things that are the slightest bit hard to
    learn are specific to any one camera.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Chuck Dubois

    ASAAR Guest

    On 26 Jan 2007 19:51:07 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

    >> The best book would assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced
    >> subjects in a smooth transition.

    > A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
    > to use.
    > As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

    But such a book would make a great text for a Bush League course.
    And then some might say that the "best how-to book on the Canon 20D"
    would be titled "How To Painlessly Upgrade Your 20D to a 5D".

    ASAAR, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Chuck Dubois

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:09:44 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

    > On 26 Jan 2007 19:51:07 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >>> The best book would assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced
    >>> subjects in a smooth transition.

    >> A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
    >> to use.
    >> As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

    > But such a book would make a great text for a Bush League course.
    > And then some might say that the "best how-to book on the Canon 20D"
    > would be titled "How To Painlessly Upgrade Your 20D to a 5D".

    That title would be a lie - the pocket would end up heavily bandaged.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    Neil Ellwood, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Chuck Dubois

    Chuck Dubois Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:35:35 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Chuck Dubois wrote:
    >> What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    > The problem I have with this question is that I really don't understand
    > why anybody would want a whole book on a specific camera in the first
    > place. (Yes, I see the point of a reference manual like what's shipped
    > with the camera.)
    >
    > Seems to me the best learning resource (as asked for in the subject, as
    > opposed to the different question you ask in the body) is something like
    > Ansel Adams' basic photo series, or perhaps something more modern.
    > Depending on what it is you really need to learn.
    >
    > Very few of the interesting things that are the slightest bit hard to
    > learn are specific to any one camera.

    Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
    guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

    Chuck Dubois, Jan 27, 2007
  9. Chuck Dubois

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:14:49 -0600, Chuck Dubois wrote:

    > Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
    > guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

    The manual and practice.

    Neil Ellwood, Jan 27, 2007
  10. Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:14:49 -0600, Chuck Dubois wrote:
    >

    >> Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
    >> guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

    > The manual and practice.

    Are you brand new to photography, or just to digital, or to the 20D alone?

    I'd browse my local library and see what clicks with you, until we have
    a better picture of your knowledge and aspirations.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 27, 2007
  11. Chuck Dubois

    mortn Guest

    Chuck Dubois wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:35:35 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck Dubois wrote:
    >>> What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

    >> The problem I have with this question is that I really don't understand
    >> why anybody would want a whole book on a specific camera in the first
    >> place. (Yes, I see the point of a reference manual like what's shipped
    >> with the camera.)
    >>
    >> Seems to me the best learning resource (as asked for in the subject, as
    >> opposed to the different question you ask in the body) is something like
    >> Ansel Adams' basic photo series, or perhaps something more modern.
    >> Depending on what it is you really need to learn.
    >>
    >> Very few of the interesting things that are the slightest bit hard to
    >> learn are specific to any one camera.

    > Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
    > guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

    You might take a look at "A Short Course In Cannon EOS 20D Photography"
    at www.shortcourses.com

    mortn, Jan 27, 2007