    I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.

    r/
    Keith

    Keith Kuttler, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Keith Kuttler

    GT40 Guest

    Most pros use Mac's but I use a PC now. Just look for A LOT of RAM
    512MB min

    GT40, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Keith Kuttler

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    > I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    > Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    > I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.

    You might look for a high res display SXGA+ (1400x1050), UXGA (1600x1200),
    WXGA+(1680x1050) or WUXGA (1920x1200). I have a WXGA+ display on my current
    notebook machine, and it's very nice.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Sep 29, 2004
  4. I am looking at a HP zd700. Come with the 17" screen which might make for a
    bulky computer but will sure be nice when processing my digital photo's.
    Anyone have any comment regarding this choice?

    Keith

    Keith Kuttler, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Keith Kuttler

    George Guest

    I'm pretty happy with my Dell Inspiron 8200 (older model). You might want
    to take a look at some of the newer Inspirons. I got the UXGA display
    (1600x1200) and find that useful. One thing you might like about many of
    the Inspirons (verify before you pick one) is that many have interchangeable
    video cards so that you can upgrade later on...THAT is rare in a laptop.

    George, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Keith Kuttler

    Hunt Guest

    In article <Urm6d.337$pN6.259@fed1read06>, says...

    >I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    >Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    >I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >
    >r/
    >Keith

    Besides the suggestions posted to this article, you might want to do a www.
    groups.google.com search, especially for the comp.graphics.photoshop, and alt
    ..graphics.photoshop groups, as this was recently discussed in length there.
    Tons of good recommendations in the thread(s).

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Keith Kuttler

    JK Guest

    Get one with an Athlon 64 processor. Don't buy a 32 bit one, then in
    '05 regret that you didn't buy a 64 bit one as plenty of great 64 bit
    software appears. Even 32 bit software will faster on an Athlon 64
    using a 64 bit operating system. Here is an article about one
    interesting 64 bit application.

    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=257&p=1

    JK, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Keith Kuttler

    andre Guest

    Keith Kuttler wrote:
    > I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    > Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    > I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >
    > r/
    > Keith

    Although I am using Laptops myself I believe its not the best choice for
    image editing, since you will never be able to perfectly adjust gamma.
    Mainly because the perceived gamma depends on your viewing angle. So
    matching the edited image to the print is relative hard. A CRT display
    will do much better since it is less dependent on viewing angle.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Sep 29, 2004
  9. Keith Kuttler

    Linda_N Guest

    "Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    >I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    > Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    > I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >
    > r/
    > Keith

    I don't know if it is the best, but it is designed for multimedia and got
    all the parts'N'toys to prove it.

    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=ENT&coid=-26379&sel=0&rcid=-26367&ccid=1291021

    If that breaks off it is the Toshiba Satellite P25 Multimedia Extreme
    machine. The enhanced LCD is key.

    If you use PS CS for your work you probably already know that LCD displays
    do not color match well. What's beautiful on the LCD might be crap on a CRT.
    Although LCDs are improving the top of the line is still no match for CRT.
    At least get a machine that has made the effort to get the LCD as close to
    color match as possible. The cheapo machines will give you cheapo displays.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Sep 29, 2004
  10. Keith Kuttler

    Harry Krause Guest

    Linda_N wrote:
    > "Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    >>I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    >> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    >> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >>
    >> r/
    >> Keith
    >>

    > I don't know if it is the best, but it is designed for multimedia and got
    > all the parts'N'toys to prove it.
    >
    > http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=ENT&coid=-26379&sel=0&rcid=-26367&ccid=1291021
    >
    > If that breaks off it is the Toshiba Satellite P25 Multimedia Extreme
    > machine. The enhanced LCD is key.
    >
    > If you use PS CS for your work you probably already know that LCD displays
    > do not color match well. What's beautiful on the LCD might be crap on a CRT.
    > Although LCDs are improving the top of the line is still no match for CRT.
    > At least get a machine that has made the effort to get the LCD as close to
    > color match as possible. The cheapo machines will give you cheapo displays.
    >
    > Linda

    Great machine, but it must weigh close to 10 pounds. That's a lot of
    laptop to lug around.

    --
    We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
    son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

    What, me worry?

    Harry Krause, Sep 29, 2004
  11. Keith Kuttler

    hassy_user Guest

    andre <> wrote in message news:<NEr6d.21106$>...
    > Keith Kuttler wrote:
    > > I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    > > Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    > > I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    > >
    > > r/
    > > Keith
    > >

    > Although I am using Laptops myself I believe its not the best choice for
    > image editing, since you will never be able to perfectly adjust gamma.
    > Mainly because the perceived gamma depends on your viewing angle. So
    > matching the edited image to the print is relative hard. A CRT display
    > will do much better since it is less dependent on viewing angle.
    >
    > Andre

    Agreed. I do everything on my laptop, but have a CRT plugged into it
    for editing. Unfortunately, since the LS8000 I scan on is at a
    friend's place, I have to scan using the LCD, but it works out ok. I
    tried calibrating the LCD using the Gretag Eye-one, but the results
    were still unsatisfactory.

    hassy_user, Sep 29, 2004
  12. Keith Kuttler

    > I am looking at a HP zd700. Come with the 17" screen which might make for

    > bulky computer but will sure be nice when processing my digital photo's.
    > Anyone have any comment regarding this choice?

    Sounds like a reasonable choice to me. I have a 15.4" Compaq (HP) WXGA+
    notebook with an Athlon 64 processor. Very happy with it so far for digital
    photography and in general.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Sep 29, 2004
  13. Keith Kuttler

    Hils Guest

    >Most pros use Mac's but I use a PC now. Just look for A LOT of RAM
    >512MB min

    It's also worth bearing in mind portability. The weight of laptops can
    vary from less than 2kg to 5kg, and you probably won't want to add 5kg
    to your everyday gadget bag. Battery life is another aspect: this can
    vary from 40 minutes to 4-5 hours, and spare batteries are expensive. By
    and large the lightweight models have better battery life; if you need
    real portability start by looking at the latest Centrino-based models
    (1.7 or faster).

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Sep 29, 2004
  14. Keith Kuttler

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    George <> wrote:
    >I'm pretty happy with my Dell Inspiron 8200 (older model). You might want
    >to take a look at some of the newer Inspirons. I got the UXGA display
    >(1600x1200) and find that useful. One thing you might like about many of
    >the Inspirons (verify before you pick one) is that many have interchangeable
    >video cards so that you can upgrade later on...THAT is rare in a laptop.
    >
    >"Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    >> I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    >> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    >> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >>
    >> r/
    >> Keith

    Look for a firewire port. A firewire disk can be used as backup
    for your images, and as a PS work disk.

    USB 2 is fast for file transfer but. IMO it uses lots of CPU while
    it's reading or writing and therefore not good as a second disk for
    processing.

    Price an extended warranty (3 years). It's lots easier to get a
    machine fixed than to select a new model in a rush, bu ity, and
    reinstall your software if the old machine breaks 13 minths ago.

    FWIW I've had lots of luck with Dell's on-your-site, next day
    service. I used to "own" about 3,000 laptops. I have no other
    relationship with Dell.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Sep 30, 2004
  15. Keith Kuttler

    George Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > George <> wrote:
    > >I'm pretty happy with my Dell Inspiron 8200 (older model). You might

    want
    > >to take a look at some of the newer Inspirons. I got the UXGA display
    > >(1600x1200) and find that useful. One thing you might like about many of
    > >the Inspirons (verify before you pick one) is that many have

    interchangeable
    > >video cards so that you can upgrade later on...THAT is rare in a laptop.
    > >
    > >"Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    > >> I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography

    work.
    > >> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    > >> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    > >>
    > >> r/
    > >> Keith
    > >>

    > Look for a firewire port. A firewire disk can be used as backup
    > for your images, and as a PS work disk.
    >
    > USB 2 is fast for file transfer but. IMO it uses lots of CPU while
    > it's reading or writing and therefore not good as a second disk for
    > processing.
    >

    > Price an extended warranty (3 years). It's lots easier to get a
    > machine fixed than to select a new model in a rush, bu ity, and
    > reinstall your software if the old machine breaks 13 minths ago.
    >
    > FWIW I've had lots of luck with Dell's on-your-site, next day
    > service. I used to "own" about 3,000 laptops. I have no other
    > relationship with Dell.
    >

    > --
    > Al Dykes
    > -----------
    > adykes at p a n i x . c o m

    I didn't mention the Firewire (or i-Link or IEEE1394) port as even
    my two year old Inspiron has it...I'd be surprised if a notebook made
    in the last year didn't have one. (But, it doesn't hurt to verify.) BTW,
    there are new (faster) Firewire and USB standards and those ports
    should be appearing soon. Also, Cardbus slots are handy...I got a
    Cardbus reader for type I & II Compact Flash from B&H and that
    works great. Also have a Firewire Compact Flash reader on order.

    George, Sep 30, 2004
  16. Keith Kuttler

    Linda_N Guest

    "Harry Krause" <> wrote in message
    > Linda_N wrote:
    >> "Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am getting ready to purchase a laptop for my digital photography work.
    >>> Any recommendations on what I should look at?
    >>> I use Photoshop CS for most of my work.
    >>>
    >>> r/
    >>> Keith
    >>>

    >> I don't know if it is the best, but it is designed for multimedia and got
    >> all the parts'N'toys to prove it.
    >>
    >> http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=ENT&coid=-26379&sel=0&rcid=-26367&ccid=1291021
    >>
    >> If that breaks off it is the Toshiba Satellite P25 Multimedia Extreme
    >> machine. The enhanced LCD is key.
    >>

    > Great machine, but it must weigh close to 10 pounds. That's a lot of
    > laptop to lug around.

    That is a lot especially for a Toshiba which normally pays attention to slim
    and trim. My older model Satellite is no where near 10lbs, it is 4 maybe, so
    it didn't even register to look at weight for a newer model. Good lesson.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Sep 30, 2004
  17. George wrote:
    > ...Also have a Firewire Compact Flash reader on order.

    If your laptop only has a 4-pin Firewire connector, it won't supply
    power to the card reader.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Sep 30, 2004
  18. Keith Kuttler

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Linda_N" <> wrote in message

    > > Great machine, but it must weigh close to 10 pounds. That's a lot of
    > > laptop to lug around.
    > >

    > That is a lot especially for a Toshiba which normally pays attention to

    slim
    > and trim. My older model Satellite is no where near 10lbs, it is 4 maybe,

    so
    > it didn't even register to look at weight for a newer model. Good lesson.

    That's because it's a 17 inch "desktop replacement" machine--it's not
    designed to be a lightweight. It wouldn't be a good choice to lug through
    airports and wouldn't be very handy on an airplane tray table, but for a lot
    of uses, it would be fine.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Sep 30, 2004
  19. Keith Kuttler

    bob Guest

    "Keith Kuttler" <> wrote in

    > I am looking at a HP zd700. Come with the 17" screen which might make
    > for a bulky computer but will sure be nice when processing my digital
    > photo's. Anyone have any comment regarding this choice?

    We have a HP N5170 at the office with a 17" screen. It's two or three years
    old. It's ok for general purposes, but it wouldn't work well for much
    editing. The screen is just too limited. The colors are off, and the
    contrast is different.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 1, 2004
  20. Keith Kuttler

    Linda_N Guest

    > That's because it's a 17 inch "desktop replacement" machine--it's not
    > designed to be a lightweight. It wouldn't be a good choice to lug through
    > airports and wouldn't be very handy on an airplane tray table, but for a
    > lot
    > of uses, it would be fine.
    >
    > Mark

    Yeah 10 lbs is too much for a laptop to lug around. The concept of 'desktop
    replacement' that 'isn't portable' seems like an irony to me because the
    whole idea of laptops/notebooks originally was 'portability' while still
    being able to plug in at home/office. Laptops/notebooks are near double the
    price of a better featured PC tower system (normally more expandable and
    cheaper to do so). I think people are so caught up in the technology game
    and having the biggest and best that perhaps they're buying stuff that just
    doesn't make sense to anyone but the manufacturers who sit back and laugh as
    the endless dollars flow in.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 2, 2004