    I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best

    Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good

    Suggestions?
    Another Guy, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Another Guy

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:44:43 +1300, "Another Guy" <>
    wrote:

    >Looking at switching up to broadband
    >
    >I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >
    >Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >
    >Suggestions?

    Its ALL TELESCUM unless you use Cable..
    XP, Nov 13, 2005

  3. Another Guy

    Another Guy Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:44:43 +1300, "Another Guy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>
    >>I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>
    >>Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>
    >>Suggestions?
    >>

    > Its ALL TELESCUM unless you use Cable..

    The price and service no doubt varies from ISP to ISP, but thanks for your
    input...
    Another Guy, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Another Guy

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at switching up to broadband
    >
    > I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >
    > Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your not
    really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"

    im with xtra, they dont screw me around like they do with other people who
    go through other isp's.

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Another Guy

    Another Guy Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>
    >> I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>
    >> Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

    > Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your not
    > really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"
    >
    > im with xtra, they dont screw me around like they do with other people who
    > go through other isp's.
    >
    > KB

    Yeah but the point is that I have had no trouble with Orcon staff in the
    past, but every time I ring Telecom about anything it is a great freakin
    drama, so even if I am ultimately getting my service from Telecom, I dont
    have to deal with their drones.
    Another Guy, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Another Guy

    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>>
    >>> I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>>
    >>> Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?

    >> Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your
    >> not really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"
    >>
    >> im with xtra, they dont screw me around like they do with other people
    >> who go through other isp's.
    >>
    >> KB

    > Yeah but the point is that I have had no trouble with Orcon staff in the
    > past, but every time I ring Telecom about anything it is a great freakin
    > drama, so even if I am ultimately getting my service from Telecom, I dont
    > have to deal with their drones.

    Yea thats true, ive had mixted reactions from telecom, 1 out of 3 i seem to
    get an indian, who doesn't no anything about broadband.

    on the opposite side, i think ~misfit~ would disagree with orcon staff, if
    your in for gamming, orcon is not the isp for you, if your into p2p orcon
    aint for you, ive read that they port shape.

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Another Guy

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:31:32 +1300, Another Guy wrote:

    > "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>>
    >>> I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>>
    >>> Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?

    >> Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your not
    >> really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"
    >>
    >> im with xtra, they dont screw me around like they do with other people who
    >> go through other isp's.
    >>
    >> KB

    > Yeah but the point is that I have had no trouble with Orcon staff in the
    > past, but every time I ring Telecom about anything it is a great freakin
    > drama, so even if I am ultimately getting my service from Telecom, I dont
    > have to deal with their drones.

    Ive been on Telecoms ADSL for the last 12 months, Ive had zero issues with
    them (except their helldesk staff fill their pants when I ask for Linux
    related support :)
    Having said that, I'm currently 'in the market' for a new ISP/deal
    Not for any negative reason like, Im upset with Telecom, but because I
    want to see if there are any better deals out there

    Shane, Nov 13, 2005
  8. Another Guy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>
    >>I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>
    >>Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>
    >>Suggestions?

    > Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your not
    > really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"

    Maybe not - but at least you are making a point and doing what you are
    able to avoid Telecom all the way.

    Other ISPs need support at present - if some form of shift in the NZ
    ADSL scene happens, we need other ISPs to be in a position where they
    can take advantage of it.

    If everyone is with Telecom, we're all stuffed - there won't be any change.

    And anyway, other ISPs add other value to their offering - like email
    services, newsgroups, etc.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 13, 2005
  9. Another Guy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Another Guy" <> wrote in message

    >>>Basically if you buy from orconz, they buy it through telecom, so your
    >>>not really escaping the "i dont want to deal with telecom thing"
    >>>
    >>>im with xtra, they dont screw me around like they do with other people
    >>>who go through other isp's.
    >>>
    >>>KB

    >>Yeah but the point is that I have had no trouble with Orcon staff in the
    >>past, but every time I ring Telecom about anything it is a great freakin
    >>drama, so even if I am ultimately getting my service from Telecom, I dont
    >>have to deal with their drones.

    > Yea thats true, ive had mixted reactions from telecom, 1 out of 3 i seem to
    > get an indian, who doesn't no anything about broadband.

    That's pretty offensive.

    > on the opposite side, i think ~misfit~ would disagree with orcon staff, if
    > your in for gamming, orcon is not the isp for you, if your into p2p orcon
    > aint for you, ive read that they port shape.

    P2P (BT) with Orcon is fine; their service is continually improving and
    I just don't understand why people slag it off so much. What Orcon
    actually do is well documented.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 13, 2005
  10. Another Guy

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "Another Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Yeah but the point is that I have had no trouble with Orcon staff in the
    >>>past, but every time I ring Telecom about anything it is a great freakin
    >>>drama, so even if I am ultimately getting my service from Telecom, I dont
    >>>have to deal with their drones.

    >> Yea thats true, ive had mixted reactions from telecom, 1 out of 3 i seem
    >> to get an indian, who doesn't no anything about broadband.

    > That's pretty offensive.

    Too maybe...but its the truth, im sorry not going to be like Helen clark and
    be all PC.

    Krazy Bob, Nov 13, 2005
  11. Another Guy

    steve Guest

    Another Guy wrote:

    > "XP" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:44:43 +1300, "Another Guy"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looking at switching up to broadband
    >>>
    >>>I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >>>
    >>>Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >>>
    >>>Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Its ALL TELESCUM unless you use Cable..

    > The price and service no doubt varies from ISP to ISP, but thanks for your
    > input...

    Sort of.

    ADSL is all Telecom.

    If you want something better, TelstraClear cable WILL be better...in
    particular, your upstream speed could be much higher than the 128k Telecom
    limits all ADSL to other than their business plans.

    I know a guy one of the business plans. He pays a lot of money for a service
    he's too scared to actually use.
    steve, Nov 14, 2005
  12. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:44:43 +1300, "Another Guy"
    <> wrote:

    >Looking at switching up to broadband
    >
    >I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >
    >Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >
    >Suggestions?

    I really like IHUG. They have really good download and upload speeds
    on all protocols. I usually max it out. They in no way that I can see
    traffic shape. They have a competant English speaking help desk should
    you ever need them. They answer the phone pretty promptly. They
    don't have all the newsgroups that the pay-for usenet services do, but
    neither do most ISP's in NZ these days (a pet peeve). The price plans
    are in line or better than other ISP's. The router you get is decent.
    They have those free connection, free modem (or discount router) deals
    as long as you sign on for a year.

    I do hope the download cap gets bigger, or at least isn't dependant on
    peak/non peak times (since all my dling is at peak times). I would put
    full usenet on my wishlist, but otherwise, I have no serious
    complaints and lots to sing praises about.

    JC
    JulieandCasper, Nov 14, 2005
  13. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:23:38 +1300, someone purporting to be XP didst
    scrawl:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:44:43 +1300, "Another Guy" <>
    > wrote:

    *SNIP*
    > Its ALL TELESCUM unless you use Cable..

    And if you go cable you get to be raped by the Aussies instead. It's a
    lose-lose situation.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Nov 14, 2005
  14. Another Guy

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >Looking at switching up to broadband
    >
    >I hate Telecom on principal but would consider Xtra if it was best
    >
    >Orcon's 2Mb plan looks pretty good
    >
    >Suggestions?

    ihug are good. I switched to them recently, the connection is good, and so is
    the helpdesk.
    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2005
  15. Another Guy

    Guest

    Both are incorrect. I never have any latency issues with Orcon and they
    do not port shape. Also, if you're in to P2P, 10GB is not going to be
    enough, so...
    , Nov 14, 2005
  16. Another Guy

    Guest

    I would disagree. IMHO, it is very unlikely they or anyone could offer
    such good prices /gb they remove the peak/off peak distinction. If
    you're unable to schedule some major downloads during offpeak times
    that is unfortunate, I would suggest you consider changinging ISP. But
    I'm glad Ihug is willing to do something different (actually they've
    been doign the peak/offpeak thing for a long time)
    , Nov 14, 2005
  17. Another Guy

    Chris Hope Guest

    JulieandCasper wrote:

    [snip]

    > They
    > don't have all the newsgroups that the pay-for usenet services do, but
    > neither do most ISP's in NZ these days (a pet peeve). The price plans

    I don't use IHUG anymore (although I would have stayed with them if the
    $$ stacked up, but I have high usage requirements and have gone with
    Orcon's $10/10GB plan) but they were always really good whenever I
    requested a new newsgroup to be added - would be done within a few
    hours.

    There's a specific group set up for newsgroups and requests - I can't
    remember what it is now, but if you search all the available ones with
    ihug in the name you should be able to find it.

    [snip]

    Chris Hope, Nov 14, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    Matthew Poole <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:23:38 +1300, someone purporting to be XP didst
    > scrawl:

    > > Its ALL TELESCUM unless you use Cable..

    > And if you go cable you get to be raped by the Aussies instead. It's a
    > lose-lose situation.

    Assuming that you're inside their coverage area, Woosh is a very good
    alternative. I have been using them for about a month and, despite the
    fact that the initial installation process was not as easy as they would
    like you to believe, I have found the service to be very reliable once
    everything was up and running.

    For me, Woosh has a significant cost advantage in that I don't have to
    pay a ~$40 per month Telecom line charge, and I also like the
    portability (even though the coverage is very limited at this stage). I
    guess the main disadvantage is that it only goes as fast as 500 kbps so,
    if speed is a priority, then Woosh may not be for you.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
    necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.
    Alastair.geek.nz, Nov 14, 2005
  19. Another Guy

    Krazy Bob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Both are incorrect. I never have any latency issues with Orcon and they
    > do not port shape. Also, if you're in to P2P, 10GB is not going to be
    > enough, so...

    Please do a search through this news group for what you just said. it has
    been well documented what orcon do.

    Thank you
    KB
    Krazy Bob, Nov 14, 2005
  20. Another Guy

    EMB Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > There's a specific group set up for newsgroups and requests - I can't
    > remember what it is now, but if you search all the available ones with
    > ihug in the name you should be able to find it.

    ihug.newsgroups.wanted

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 14, 2005