    P.S. reply to the group only. If you feel the need to reply through
    email, use (remove DIESPAMDIE)
    :)

    Tony, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Tony

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (Tony) wrote in news:a40b1cd5.0401101407.c75c762
    @posting.google.com:

    > I will be moving into a new apartment within the month and I was
    > wondering if anyone has any opinions about what type of ISP would be
    > best. It'll just be two people (My fiance and myself) using the net.
    > We would like broadband, for large file transfers, and for my own
    > website publishing. I do not believe cable is available in that area,
    > so that leaves xDSL or ISDN. I'm not sure how these technologies work,
    > exactly, or what type of hardware I will need and which is
    > faster/cheaper. The landlord says that new phone lines will be
    > installed, so I'm guessing they can accomodate ISDN and DSL.
    >
    > Any information or opinions wouild be greatrly apprecated. Thanx
    >»Tony
    >
    > P.S. reply to the group only. If you feel the need to reply through
    > email, use (remove DIESPAMDIE)
    >:)

    If you're in the US, then www.britsys.com is nationwide and will bring
    everything to your home and hook it up. Most ISP(s) will not allow you to
    run a machine on their network with Web services running on the machine and
    they do look for it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I assume that by web services you mean hosting web sites? I won't
    actually be hosting any sites. I only write html and create flash
    media for people. Thank you for the link to britsys! If anybody could
    tell me the differences in speed and performance between xDSL and
    ISDN, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Tony, Jan 13, 2004
  4. IIRC ISDN is limited to 128K or maybe 256K. xDSL depends on what you
    want to pay for (also on what the ISP wants to offer, of course). Most
    seem to go at least as high as 1M.

    I'd go with xDSL since cable isn't available. (When both are available
    it's a tossup without knowing more details-some places have better DSL
    service & others have better cable service. You'd need to ask around in
    that case-find out which the neighbors prefer.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 13, 2004