    be good?

    Thanks
    , Dec 26, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.

    No such thing; sorry.

    I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

    Will this camera be good enough.

    Only you know for sure.

    The thing about cameras is that some are strong in some areas and weak in
    others. It is not a trivial process to select the "best" camera because
    "best" is a personal thing. Before you get too nervous about this, please
    be assured that the recent crop is uniformly darned good stuff. Look at
    Canon, Nikon and the other industry leaders and, if possible, go handle them
    before you buy.
    Charles Schuler, Dec 26, 2006

  3. ray Guest

    On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, phillip.wilson1 wrote:

    > Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
    >
    > I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    > I want good colour and good quality sharp images.
    >
    > Will this camera be good enough. I'm not always going to be printing
    > off poster pronts, but would like to sometimes. Would the quality still
    > be good?
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't think there is any 'best'. There are quite a number of good
    cameras in that price range. To some extent, image quality will depend on
    your post processing of raw files if you're absolutely looking for the
    best possible image quality.
    ray, Dec 26, 2006
  4. On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, <> wrote:
    > Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
    >
    > I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    > I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

    $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would be
    a big jump up from the G7.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Dec 27, 2006
  5. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800,
    > <> wrote:
    >> Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
    >>
    >> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    >> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

    > $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
    > be
    > a big jump up from the G7.
    >
    > -dms

    "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
    camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
    Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
    the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
    good quality at best....

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2006
  6. On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:27:14 GMT, David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
    >>>
    >>> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    >>> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

    >> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
    >> be
    >> a big jump up from the G7.
    >>
    >> -dms

    > "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
    > camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
    > Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
    > the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
    > good quality at best....

    How about "has the potential to be"? The big-sensor SLR has more
    flexibility in terms of light levels, and also has a real upgrade path.
    On the flip side, the G7 or whatever is a signficantly smaller body and
    probably has a better lens than the low-end kit lens on a cheap SLR.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Dec 27, 2006
  7. Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:27:14 GMT, David J Taylor
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >> Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >>> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
    >>> be
    >>> a big jump up from the G7.
    >>>
    >>> -dms

    >> "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end
    >> non-SLR camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting
    >> conditions? Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions,
    >> but something like the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers
    >> should be capable of good quality at best....

    > How about "has the potential to be"? The big-sensor SLR has more
    > flexibility in terms of light levels, and also has a real upgrade
    > path.
    > On the flip side, the G7 or whatever is a signficantly smaller body
    > and
    > probably has a better lens than the low-end kit lens on a cheap SLR.
    >
    > -dms

    Agreed!

    Although I wouldnt like to compare the two lenses as I don't have direct
    experience.

    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2006
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >> On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
    >>>
    >>> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
    >>> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

    >> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
    >> be
    >> a big jump up from the G7.
    >>
    >> -dms

    > "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
    > camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
    > Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
    > the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
    > good quality at best....
    >
    > David

    Yes, good pictures can be taken with P&S cameras. In the hands of a
    good photographer with the knowledge, and experience, to use all the
    manual functions, and the time to use them, a DSLR will produce better
    pictures. In the hands of a rank amateur, who doesn't know ISO from
    ICE, the P&S will probably make better pictures, and make them faster.

    The level of expertise of the photographer is important. No need to buy
    the best tools for the weekend carpenter.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 27, 2006