    We can't afford 4 more years
    of the last 8 years!

    The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    Judge Pigglesworth, Oct 18, 2008

  2. On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:11:05 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
    <> wrote:

    >"Judge Pigglesworth" wrote:
    >
    >> Since I've made the jump to HD TV, I'd now like to do the same with
    >> DVD. Any suggestion on a nice Blue Ray player? The Sony models seem
    >> to get a lot of hype. Any comments on this? Thanks.

    >Sony's players from the past year seem to be pretty solid, however, I'd
    >almost say go with a PS3 as it's proven to be the easiest to upgrade with
    >firmware updates and has proven to be every bit as good a player as any Sony
    >standalone unit.
    >
    >The Panasonic BD30 and BD50 from last year are solid players that are about
    >to get heavily discounted in the next month over the Thanksgiving shopping
    >weekend. The newer Panasonic BD35 and BD55 look to have a few improvements
    >including blu-ray live, but the BD35 will not have 5.1 analog audio output
    >(using 6 coaxle cables), you only have a digital bitstream option or HDMI,
    >so this may be a concern if you have an older AV receiver.
    >
    >Pioneer's latest line of BR players are highly regarded but may be a bit too
    >pricey in comparison to what you get from the other players listed above.
    >FWIW, I believe Pioneer's players like the 51FD are the only one's that
    >offer "direct video source" feature that lets you use the video processor in
    >your preamp rather than the one in the player which is a useful feature if
    >you have a high end video processor chip in your amp.
    >
    >Lastly, avoid Samsumg BR players.T.B.

    Very helpful, thanks so much!

    I was leaning toward the Sony and I'll look into that PS3 as well.

    Judge Pigglesworth, Oct 18, 2008

  3. On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 12:16:08 -0700, Judge Pigglesworth
    <> wrote:

    >Since I've made the jump to HD TV, I'd now like to do the same with
    >DVD. Any suggestion on a nice Blue Ray player? The Sony models seem
    >to get a lot of hype. Any comments on this? Thanks.
    >

    > We can't afford 4 more years
    > of the last 8 years!
    >
    > The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    See the "Cheapest bluray player" thread from this group a few days ago.

    Bungalow Bill, Oct 19, 2008
  4. Judge Pigglesworth

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:18 -0700, Judge Pigglesworth
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:11:05 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Judge Pigglesworth" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I've made the jump to HD TV, I'd now like to do the same with
    >>> DVD. Any suggestion on a nice Blue Ray player? The Sony models seem
    >>> to get a lot of hype. Any comments on this? Thanks.

    >>Sony's players from the past year seem to be pretty solid, however, I'd
    >>almost say go with a PS3 as it's proven to be the easiest to upgrade with
    >>firmware updates and has proven to be every bit as good a player as any Sony
    >>standalone unit.
    >>
    >>The Panasonic BD30 and BD50 from last year are solid players that are about
    >>to get heavily discounted in the next month over the Thanksgiving shopping
    >>weekend. The newer Panasonic BD35 and BD55 look to have a few improvements
    >>including blu-ray live, but the BD35 will not have 5.1 analog audio output
    >>(using 6 coaxle cables), you only have a digital bitstream option or HDMI,
    >>so this may be a concern if you have an older AV receiver.
    >>
    >>Pioneer's latest line of BR players are highly regarded but may be a bit too
    >>pricey in comparison to what you get from the other players listed above.
    >>FWIW, I believe Pioneer's players like the 51FD are the only one's that
    >>offer "direct video source" feature that lets you use the video processor in
    >>your preamp rather than the one in the player which is a useful feature if
    >>you have a high end video processor chip in your amp.
    >>
    >>Lastly, avoid Samsumg BR players.T.B.

    >Very helpful, thanks so much!
    >
    >I was leaning toward the Sony and I'll look into that PS3 as well.
    >

    > We can't afford 4 more years
    > of the last 8 years!
    >
    > The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    PS3= BluRay DVD player with high end audio and video out via hdmi and
    toslink optical. Other quality levels can be acquired via s-video
    or component video outputs.

    PS3= Std DVD player with very good switchable upscaling capacity.

    PS3= HDTV level gaming console for high end expensive games. :-]

    PS3= Linux capable Power PC processed (CellBE) computer. COOL!

    PS3= Photo viewer/player, etc.

    PS3= MP3 player, etc.

    PS3= video file player (only certain codecs)

    PS3= Internet browser via wireless or wired LAN

    PS3= memory card slot for file storage and transference.

    PS3= USB device utilization, including memory sticks, keyboards, mice,
    USB hard drives, etc.

    PS3= blutooth device utilization, including joysticks, headsets, etc.

    PS3= A hard drive to store numerous and diverse amounts of the above.

    Pretty damn cool device, despite its manufacturer's degraded
    reputation. Usually package deals available that make it even more worth
    it. Get the 80GB unit.

    AnimalMagic, Oct 19, 2008
  5. Judge Pigglesworth

    Ski Guest

    8080 <> wrote in news:8080.3hy7xg@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

    > Judge Pigglesworth;9237535 Wrote:
    >> Since I've made the jump to HD TV, I'd now like to do the same with
    >> DVD. Any suggestion on a nice Blue Ray player? The Sony models seem
    >> to get a lot of hype. Any comments on this? Thanks.
    >>

    >> We can't afford 4 more years
    >> of the last 8 years!
    >>
    >> The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    > Wait for prices to come down.
    > Still to steep IMO :cool:

    The best player is an oppo see the web site. If your a fan of walmart then
    dont bother if not it is an outstanding DVD player

    Ski, Oct 28, 2008
  6. On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:39:20 GMT, Ski <> wrote:

    >8080 <> wrote in news:8080.3hy7xg@no-
    >mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:
    >

    >> Judge Pigglesworth;9237535 Wrote:
    >>> Since I've made the jump to HD TV, I'd now like to do the same with
    >>> DVD. Any suggestion on a nice Blue Ray player? The Sony models seem
    >>> to get a lot of hype. Any comments on this? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>> We can't afford 4 more years
    >>> of the last 8 years!
    >>>
    >>> The Semi-Honorable Judge J. P. Pigglesworth, presiding

    >> Wait for prices to come down.
    >> Still to steep IMO :cool:

    >The best player is an oppo see the web site. If your a fan of walmart then
    >dont bother if not it is an outstanding DVD player

    Oppo makes an HD DVD player?

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Oct 29, 2008