Best freeware text-annotation of digital photos for email

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Deb, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Deb

    Deb Guest

    Which is the best freeware for text annotation of photos?

    Here's my use model when I wish to email photos of the kids:
    - I shrink the photos using Irfanview batch operations (with auto dating)
    - But I don't text with Irfanview as it won't auto-resize the text box
    - I don't text with MS Paint as the text box autoresizes but won't shrink
    - I mostly text with Paint.NET but it doesn't seem to background color

    Is there manual texting freeware like Paint.NET which automatically resizes
    and manually repositions text fantastically ... but which can't seem to do
    two-tone text (eg black text on a white background)?

    Or, am I wrong that Paint.NET can't do black text on a white background?

    I did look it up in the help finding no mention of two-tone textting:
    http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/TextTool.html

    Can Paint.NET do text in one color with a boxed background?

    Deb, Sep 2, 2007

  2. There really is no photo editor that does text well.

    As you said, irfanview doesn't stretch, and paint.net doesn't do
    backgrounds, & ms paint won't fit the text.

    Almost all of us use the gimp for texting. The gimp does two of the three
    at least.

    Did you try that?

    Sharon Ciccio, Sep 4, 2007

  3. On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 02:00:25 GMT, Sharon Ciccio wrote:

    > There really is no photo editor that does text well.

    Yes there is. The best program to use for adding text manually on your
    digital photographs is Corel Presentations.

    lourie palmer, Sep 6, 2007
  4. On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 04:52:28 GMT, lourie palmer <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 02:00:25 GMT, Sharon Ciccio wrote:
    >
    >> There really is no photo editor that does text well.

    >Yes there is. The best program to use for adding text manually on your
    >digital photographs is Corel Presentations.

    Yes there is, PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.net

    I has a full array of desktop publishing features that can be used on any image.
    Including as-you-type spell-checking, full-justification, and more. It can even
    flow your high-resolution vector-graphic text around any other oddly shaped
    objects and layers or inside of them, follow any path, at any angle too. 3D text
    effects, drop-shadows on text ... thousands of combinations and possibilities.

    But it's not freeware. At $70 it sure beats the hell out of PhotoShop's Win95
    16-bit platform (even CS3 is only 16-bit) or anything from Corel's bug-ridden
    attempts.

    BetterEditors, Sep 9, 2007
  5. Deb

    John Corliss Guest

    BetterEditors wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 04:52:28 GMT, lourie palmer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 02:00:25 GMT, Sharon Ciccio wrote:
    >>
    >>> There really is no photo editor that does text well.

    >> Yes there is. The best program to use for adding text manually on your
    >> digital photographs is Corel Presentations.

    > Yes there is, (snip)
    >
    > But it's not freeware.

    Then how about refraining from posting it into the alt.comp.freeware
    newsgroup. Our group is for the discussion of freeware and isn't a venue
    for advertising your commercial software program.

    --
    John Corliss

    John Corliss, Sep 9, 2007
  6. Deb

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Corliss wrote:
    > BetterEditors wrote:
    >> lourie palmer
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Yes there is. The best program to use for adding text manually on
    >>> your digital photographs is Corel Presentations.

    >> Yes there is, (snip)
    >>
    >> But it's not freeware.

    > Then how about refraining from posting it into the alt.comp.freeware
    > newsgroup. Our group is for the discussion of freeware and isn't a
    > venue for advertising your commercial software program.

    There is always a problem with carrying on a lengthy discussion which
    travels along many 'trails' which is being crossposted into 3 different
    groups, alt.comp.freeware, rec.photo.digital, and
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos.

    The original question was

    Deb wrote:
    > Which is the best freeware for text annotation of photos?

    .... and she provided substantiation for the context in which she was
    asking it.

    You might want to argue about how she should/could have handled or not
    handled the crossposting or followups, and then you might want to argue
    about how each person who answered in the thread should have or could
    have restricted whether they wanted to post to all of the originally
    crossposted groups.

    But it doesn't seem that you can whine very much about a non-freeware
    answer which is coming from someone posting into groups whose
    discussions are not restricted to freeware.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 9, 2007
  7. Deb

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:43:11 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > You might want to argue about how she should/could have handled or not
    > handled the crossposting or followups, and then you might want to argue
    > about how each person who answered in the thread should have or could
    > have restricted whether they wanted to post to all of the originally
    > crossposted groups.
    >
    > But it doesn't seem that you can whine very much about a non-freeware
    > answer which is coming from someone posting into groups whose
    > discussions are not restricted to freeware.

    You may also want to consider that "BetterEditors" is just the
    latest sock puppet nym of the disturbed individual that alternately
    posts reasonable sounding, silly, moronic and vulgar tirades,
    primarily dealing with any of its three pet issues, the CHDK
    software hack for Canon Powershot cameras, PL32 software, and its
    contention that simple "point and shoot" are invariably better than
    DSLRs. Here are a few, but most disappear after a day or two :

    ASAAR, Sep 9, 2007
  8. On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 03:08:20 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    > You may also want to consider that "BetterEditors" is just the

    You might want to consider that ASSAAR is a WELL KNOWN resident troll of RPD
    newsgroup, who is desperate for attention and can't keep its nose out of any
    discussion in which it is not a part and knows nothing about the subject being
    discussed.

    It's rather hopeless case. Most everyone in RPD has put it in their kill filters
    so it tries all the harder to get people's attention. It feels specially gleeful
    when it finds a cross-posted thread that it can usurp for its attention-seeking
    disorder.

    TellItLikeItIs, Sep 9, 2007
  9. Deb

    John Corliss Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> BetterEditors wrote:
    >>> lourie palmer

    >>> Yes there is, (snip)
    >>>
    >>> But it's not freeware.

    >> Then how about refraining from posting it into the alt.comp.freeware
    >> newsgroup. Our group is for the discussion of freeware and isn't a
    >> venue for advertising your commercial software program.

    > There is always a problem with carrying on a lengthy discussion which
    > travels along many 'trails' which is being crossposted into 3 different
    > groups, alt.comp.freeware, rec.photo.digital, and
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos.
    >
    > The original question was
    >
    >> Which is the best freeware for text annotation of photos?

    > ... and she provided substantiation for the context in which she was
    > asking it.
    >
    > You might want to argue about how she should/could have handled or not
    > handled the crossposting or followups, and then you might want to argue
    > about how each person who answered in the thread should have or could
    > have restricted whether they wanted to post to all of the originally
    > crossposted groups.
    >
    > But it doesn't seem that you can whine

    I was not "whining". I was pointing out an off-topic post.

    > very much about a non-freeware
    > answer which is coming from someone posting into groups whose
    > discussions are not restricted to freeware.

    Point taken. I should have assumed that the respondent didn't notice
    that the OP was cross-posted. The fault lies with the OP as you say.

    My bad and sorry.

    --
    John Corliss BS206

    John Corliss, Sep 9, 2007