best free image editor?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Russell Smithies, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,

    >>>Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
    >>>gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

    >>Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
    >>both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
    >>probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
    >>unusual about the interface?

    > The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
    > than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
    > and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

    So whats so unusual about that? Different horses for different courses
    buddy. If you hate it cos its not like Photobloat thats fine, but people
    who try Photobloat for the first time might find that kludgey as well...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:12:19 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,

    > >> Take it for a test drive. You will need a very mouse though as she really
    > >> gets a work out. Menu of the pop up kind, is right click.

    > > Ummm, I've been using it for about two years. I have it installed on
    > > both a Linux machine and my main computer which is a Mac. I could
    > > probably even be classified as a heavy Gimp user. Again, what's so
    > > unusual about the interface?

    > The way most of the options are available in the right-click menu, rather
    > than from drop-down menus at the top, also that there is no main window,
    > and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

    Yeah, it can take a bit to get used to if you are accustomed to
    different apps but I quite like it. Having seperate windows is not
    totally alien to me as a Mac user and I like the right click model
    because you can become really quick at performing a load of operations.
    You don't have to move your mouse to some menu up the top, you can just
    right click and away you go.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Dec 21, 2003

  3. On 21 Dec 2003, Chris Wilkinson wrote

    > Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
    > most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
    > damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
    > platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...

    He already has a grip - a very firm one. The problem lies in convincing
    him to let go.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Single man: Dude - - - Married Man: Subdued.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Russell Smithies

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:07:29 +1300, in article
    <bs13i8$r38$>, "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote:

    > It cuts, crops, adjust gamma brightness contrast, but best of all sharpens
    > better than PSP 7.02 can ever do.

    True, true. And it has a red-eye reduction option too.
    What IrfanView can do _might_ be all that the OP needs.

    I don't usually need to do a lot more with photos,
    but I do need much more with drawings.

    > Because Irfan View settings allow you to
    > fine tune the sharpen option while PSP doesn't.

    OTOH for colour-reduction from true colour to 256 colours
    (e.g. to create a GIF), other apps do a better job than
    IrfanView does with dithering photographic images.

    > It looks and performs like an editor even though it's missing a lot of
    > features from other editors.

    No drawing tools (lines, boxes, circles, spray can, etc).

    It all depends on the OP's application.
    If the OP wants to make his photos look better, then IrfanView
    may be useful. If the OP wants to create his own drawings, then no way.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Russell Smithies

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K wrote:

    > Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    GIMP - "GNU Image Manipulation Program"

    Open source software for Linux or Windows.

    Windows -> http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

    Often likened to Photoshop in power and capability....but it does things
    in a different way so you may have to play with it at first to get a feel
    for it.

    www.gimp.org

    steve, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > In article <>, K <> wrote:
    > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > paintshop pro v5
    > This was free on a Aus comp mag about a month or so ago

    Only if registered at the time.

    PSP3 is unlimited shareware (never expires)

    Mainlander, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    >
    > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free.

    Uh no it was October and the registration time has expired.

    Mainlander, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Russell Smithies

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:44:27 -0800, K <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > >>shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > >Thanks for all the ideas guys, I will take a look over the hols

    > If you have Microsoft Office there is Microsoft Photo Editor that
    > comes with that. It wasn't automatically installed with the Office
    > software and I installed later. It's surprising just how much one can
    > do with it. Personally I still use PSP7 & 8 but my needs may be
    > different from yours.

    Very limited image manipulation software

    Mainlander, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>I could still beat your little baby :)

    > Beating babies now Dave? :)

    only if the women arent available...

    </bad joke>

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  10. "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:18:32 -0800, K <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    > > >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    > > December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free.

    > Uh no it was October and the registration time has expired.

    Different magazine, different month.

    It was on PC User in October, but has resurfaced on the Decmber issue of APC
    as stated.

    A second chance for those who missed out previously.

    forensic analysis, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > Yeah, it can take a bit to get used to if you are accustomed to
    > different apps but I quite like it. Having seperate windows is not
    > totally alien to me as a Mac user and I like the right click model
    > because you can become really quick at performing a load of operations.
    > You don't have to move your mouse to some menu up the top, you can just
    > right click and away you go.

    Macs have more than one mouse button now... wow, they have been evolving

    :)

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  12. Russell Smithies

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:58:22 +1300, "forensic analysis" <look@me> wrote:

    >"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > December APC mag has Paint Shop Pro 5 full version free.

    >> Uh no it was October and the registration time has expired.

    >Different magazine, different month.
    >
    >It was on PC User in October, but has resurfaced on the Decmber issue of APC
    >as stated.
    >
    >A second chance for those who missed out previously.

    I registered the October issue a week or 2 after the offer 'expired'. The page
    may still be up for that issue, ymmv.

    Invisible, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    > madknoxie wrote:
    > > Yeah, it can take a bit to get used to if you are accustomed to
    > > different apps but I quite like it. Having seperate windows is not
    > > totally alien to me as a Mac user and I like the right click model
    > > because you can become really quick at performing a load of operations.
    > > You don't have to move your mouse to some menu up the top, you can just
    > > right click and away you go.

    > Macs have more than one mouse button now... wow, they have been evolving

    Lol, smart arse! Truth be known, Apple still doesn't produce a second
    mouse button, AFAIK. Their laptops all have one button and the 'Apple'
    mice don't even have a button - the whole thing sort of just clicks,
    they also don't have a scroll wheel.

    Me? I just use a third party mouse made by some little company in
    Redmond I've never heard of :)

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Russell Smithies

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I could still beat your little baby :)

    >> Beating babies now Dave? :)

    > only if the women arent available...
    >
    > </bad joke>

    <Grin>
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Russell Smithies

    K Guest

    K, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Russell Smithies

    T.N.O. Guest

    madknoxie wrote:
    > Lol, smart arse! Truth be known, Apple still doesn't produce a second
    > mouse button, AFAIK.

    Heh, you pay over $2G for a Mac, and you don't get a second mouse
    button... how cheap can they get?

    > Their laptops all have one button and the 'Apple'
    > mice don't even have a button - the whole thing sort of just clicks,
    > they also don't have a scroll wheel.

    yeah, I hate them... hate them with a vengence.

    > Me? I just use a third party mouse made by some little company in
    > Redmond I've never heard of :)

    Which one? One hell bent on world domination?

    T.N.O., Dec 21, 2003
  17. Russell Smithies

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:21:35 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > also that there is no main window,
    > and the toolbars etc are seperate windows.

    Photoshop 7 on my girlfriends Mac does that as well.

    Other GTK apps (eg Dia) also are also designed like that, so depending on
    the other apps in use it might not be unusual at all.

    The last time I used Visual Basic (4.0 days), it did that too. I've seen a
    few other IDEs that do that too.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 21, 2003
  18. Hi there,

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On 21 Dec 2003, Chris Wilkinson wrote
    >

    >>Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
    >>most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
    >>damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
    >>platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...
    >>

    > He already has a grip - a very firm one. The problem lies in convincing
    > him to let go.

    Hehe!

    Thats why his posts are so brief, becuase he can't type that quickly
    with one hand preoccupied elsewhere... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 22, 2003
  19. On 22 Dec 2003, Chris Wilkinson wrote

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On 21 Dec 2003, Chris Wilkinson wrote
    >>

    >>>Gimp is not specific to Linux. It is associated with Linux because
    >>>most distros include it as standard (why not, after all its pretty
    >>>damn good for a freebie). You can compile the source on almost any
    >>>platform if you want, so get a grip Woger...
    >>>

    >> He already has a grip - a very firm one. The problem lies in
    >> convincing him to let go.

    > Hehe!
    >
    > Thats why his posts are so brief, becuase he can't type that quickly
    > with one hand preoccupied elsewhere... :)

    And the typing hand, when not typing, is patting his head.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of those who
    are already doing it.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 22, 2003
  20. Russell Smithies

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:42:23 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >> In article <>, K <> wrote:
    >> >Im after a free image editor, like paintshop pro etc.....but a free
    >> >shareware one, anyone know a nice easy to use freebie please?

    >> paintshop pro v5
    >> This was free on a Aus comp mag about a month or so ago

    >Only if registered at the time.

    It is on December APC mag. Does require online registration.

    GraB, Dec 22, 2003